New Rush Album - Snakes and Arrows *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StyxCollector, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I guess it's about time for me to pick something new up by Rush. I've lost track of them over the last few years.

I haven't seen them since the 2112 tour.

I wonder if they have changed????:laugh:

2. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Great!!

3. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Why not start with Feedback, great to have them go back to their roots and cover great songs. I would then suggest 1996's Test For Echo. Enjoy.

4. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Here's a little bit more about Nick and check out the last line

"Nick Raskulinecz was a Rush freak when he was playing bass and guitar in local Knox rock bands circa 1990...imagine the excitement for Raskulinecz—now a well-regarded record producer living in L.A.—when the band’s management called last year and offered him the chance to produce the venerable outfit’s 19th studio album. Raskulinecz accepted, needless to say, and spent five weeks living and working with the trio in a remote woodland studio on a mountaintop in upstate New York...'It was a dream come true, because they were one of my favorite bands since I started listening to music when I was 10 years old...Suddenly, I was sitting in Geddy Lee’s kitchen, Alex Lifeson is there drinking coffee, and we’re talking about preproduction. I think they needed someone to kind of come in and kick them in the ***, and I was able to do that. We had a great time, and I think we made their best record in 15 years...For a few weeks, I was basically the fourth member of Rush,' Raskulinecz says of his production method. 'I become part of it. I have to really be able to get inside the songs; when I make a record, I can’t just be casual about it.' He adds that the upcoming release will have 'the sound and vibe of an old Rush record'—i.e. one of those gloriously overwrought sci-fi prog-metal epics he grew up with, albums like 2112 and Hemispheres and Permanent Waves." - Nick Raskulinecz, Knoxville's MetroPulse.com, Jan. 10, 2007

5. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Now that read as really promising, thanks for posting it!

6. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I have just touched myself!!!

7. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

boy was i thinking exactly the same thing...........

8. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Bubbles is from the Trailer Park Boys and Alex Lifeson stared on one of their TV episodes. Alex & Bubbles played Closer to the Heart together. Very Funny.:D

9. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

There is a plan afoot to kidknap Neil Peart this time!

10. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

OK so he's from a Canadian TV show. That's why I had no idea who you were referring too! Thanks for the info.

11. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

You have to watch the Trailer Park Boys to get this one. In one episode, the gang kidknap Alex Lifeson and Bubbles saves the day.

home_img_season6.jpg

Bubble is the chap with cat hat.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I might have to spring for vinyl on this one as well as the CD, just cuz.:)

Rush is probably my second fave band of all time. For a band to be together this long, still get along and still get themselves excited about a project says a lot about the commitment to their craft.

13. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles Thread Starter

+1. I don't play in a Rush tribute band for the money ;)

Rush - even on VT which is by far not my favorite Rush album - does not "phone it in" each time. I get that sense from the past few Stones albums (and I apologize to those who feel differently). Rush more often than not pushes themselves to do something slightly new and different but remain true to themselves. As maligned as the era is, look at the mid-80s for Rush. Some of the work on those albums (sans some non-existent or buried Alex work) is truly amazing.

14. Squids

Squids New Member

I heard bits from the album and it is going to be great. A return to form! Classic Rush. I was at the studio where they were working. They even used Taurus pedals. If that's not enough reason to get the album then... :)

Anyway, I am a fan of Rush albums from Signals going backward. I am looking forward to the release of this album. It was fun to see them in the studio. I was lucky.

By the way, side note to Styxcollector and Dave, on my LA trip here I have also discovered that there are unreleased 5.1 mixes of Phil Collins' first two albums. I haven't heard it yet.

Oh there might even be some instrumentals on the Rush album. Hard to tell listening to mixes in the other room but... either way, it's promising if you're into prog rock.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Taurus pedals! Holy cobwebs!

Yeah, they were listed as coming out on DVD-A at one time. :realmad:

16. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Is a vinyl pressing confirmed. :goodie: I haven't bought a Rush "LP" since the late 80s. Whipee... If is happens!!!

17. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Now we're talkin'! :righton: The only Rush albums that I don't have on vinyl are Counterparts, Roll the Bones, Test for Echo, Different Stages and Rush in Rio (oh, and I guess the R30 discs in the deluxe DVD set).

The Feedback vinyl sounded good and I think that Vapour Trails is somewhat better sounding on vinyl than CD (although I've never owned the CD).

Cheers,
    Chris

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Not confirmed, but Vapor Trails and Feedback did come out on vinyl.....so...

19. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Phil in 5.1, oh man!

20. Squids

Squids New Member

Well, you know the Genesis 5.1's with Phil are about to come out. Those sound amazing. Wind & Wuthering never sounded better. Really. It needed it. So did ATTWT.

I'd love to have Signals in 5.1. (getting back on topic). Moving Pictures seems like it would be in 5.1 Is it?

21. StyxCollector

Nice. If this is true, glad to hear some keys.

The 5.1 mixes were done by Allen Sides a few years back. There was a bit of an uproar since it was rumored that Phil re-recorded parts of songs he was unhappy with and he also was going to change the tracks on some of them (i.e. drop "Thru These Walls" since it is not PC - no pun intended - these days). Phil's answer is PC below :p

http://www.philcollins.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=32
    There is definitely one instrumental. Not sure of two.

22. unipanthers

unipanthers New Member

I'm very much looking forward to the new album. I think Vapor Trails is a great album (poor mastering notwithstanding) and am confident that Snakes & Arrows will be outstanding. The great thing about Rush is they always find new ways to keep their music fresh and interesting. And as always, their technical musicianship will be outstanding.

I can't wait to see them again on tour this Summer for my 4th tour in a row of seeing them!

23. missedexit

missedexit New Member

Thanks Squids, new about the Genesis, but would love to hear his 1st 2 solo lps in 5.1. Can't wait to hear W&W!

As far as Rush, I'd also love to hear Signals and Moving Pictures. Signals and Test For Echo are my fave's at the moment

24. StyxCollector

As fantastic as some Rush would sound in 5.1, the albums that lend themselves best IMHO are the ones done in the keyboard era, especially Power Windows. Done right, songs like "Big Money", "Mystic Rhythms", and "Marathon" would be tremendous.

25. missedexit

missedexit New Member

I would like to add Power Windows to my main Rush fave's. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.