'new' Rory Gallagher - Notes From San Francisco

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musically, I do like this new release. Have just been listening to the studio disc again. I like the more varied instrumentation with piano, and some horn and trumpet players in the background.

At moderate volumes it sounds listenable. At least the EQ is rather pleasant. Such a shame with the dynamics, otherwise it would be a great release.

2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Listening to the CD now and enjoying the music very much. I hope Eagle does the rest of his catalog properly.

3. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I'm more interested in the music than the mastering too, but since I've got a deskful of stuff to listen to, the mastering has decided for me that I won't pick this up. Just a shame, that's all.

4. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

I agree. In fact the whole Rory Gallagher catalogue is way to loud. The other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the awful new sleeve designs for some of the titles.

Did anybody get the Japanese mini albums a few years back? Did they sound good? At least those sleeves were the originals.

5. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

I'm at least as annoyed at the mastering as at the fact that the itunes release has a whole disc worth of extra tracks!

6. Looks like there is a complete 3rd "disc" on iTunes with 9 tracks which are referred to as "The Osaka Jam Version". Too bad those aren't available on a pressed CD. And iTunes does not ever any lossless downloads, do they?

7. I have the complete set of Japanese Mini-LP's. These have the original artwork but offer the same regular remastering. Some of the albums were remixed also, so you get a different mix as well. I don't like most of the remasters, but some are quite o.k., for example "Live in Europe" sounds pretty decent. The ones which have the same (original) mix as the old CD's do sound inferior as the remastered version in my opinion (too loud and bright). Some of the new mixes aren't so bad, I think.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, that really pisses me off too. I guess after they milk what they can out of the itunes sales they will re-release this as "super deluxe limited edition" with that extra stuff to try to hit the rest of us up for it too. Disgusting. And they wonder why the record industry is going belly up?? With the few # of people still even buying the physical product instead of "stealing" it for free on the net, why, oh why, do you want to screw over those fans who would have bought this stuff in the first place???

9. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Exactly, I'd far rather have had this 3rd disc in the deluxe cd package than a few replica postcards. I won't buy lossy downloads.

10. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Yes, and others, love them, can't be doing with the remixes.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I like the remixes, just to hear new versions of old songs, but I don't like being without the original versions. Luckily I kept most of original Intercord CDs. Photo-Finish never came out as original mix on CD though. Just found a friend who still has his P-F vinyl so I am going to borrow that and make my own CD-R out of it.

12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Great, but if you have the facility, 24/96 needledrops are even better. I guess my brain is tuned to the originals, and the remixes just sound 'too' different.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think the biggest shame in this is how people can buy the remasters and not realize they aren't getting the original album mix. It just never crossed my mind that they would do something like that and I started selling my Intercords after "upgrading them". They should have at least put a big sticker on them saying NEW MIX! or something to warn us. And what about the new fans just coming along now discovering Rory and buying these, not realizing that these are drastically different sounding from the original releases - to them these become the "right" way to hear these albums. That just seems "wrong" to me.

14. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Agree 100%. However, the number of fans like us that really care about the mix and mastering are probably a very small number overall.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Resurrecting this thread since I just pulled this off the shelf and was listening to it today.

I noticed something really weird about my "deluxe edition" and am curious if anyone else that has it has the same problem.

This is the version that the packaging is like a small hardbound book. Originally I really liked it except for how the CDs are stored in it, in tight semi cutouts that are a pain to extract the discs out of.

But now I see something really strange. Just sitting around in between some other box sets, mine has warped really badly. The inner pages are all AOK but the outside front/back, which has the CD slots on the inside, is warped.

It's like the middle binding on the outside is too tight, pulling it in at the waist, with the top & bottom now sticking out like an hourglass shape.

At first I was worried that the CDs may be ruined now but they seem OK. To be safe I'm putting them in a separate jewelcase though.

Anyone else have this problem??? (see photos below)

Attached Files:

16. Never seen anything like that before. Disappointing....

17. No such problem on my set. I did take the CD's out on day one and put them in a separate 2-CD jewel case. As I do with most my "special packaging" items, I only opened the shrinkwrap on one side (here the bottom) to remove the discs and look at the artwork and then slide the shrinkwarp back on for protection.

The shrinkwrap is rather loose and it wouldn't prevent the cardboard from bending like it is shown in your pictures. Is it possiple that your set got exposed to humidity (steam) or heat or sunshine at some point?

My copy is from Amazon.co.uk and I don't know if there are different manufacturing locations for this item (I doubt it).

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No exposures that I know of.

That's where I got mine from too.

Maybe me leaving the discs in those tight side pockets had something to do with this (?). At least the innards are all ok, the pages are fine and so are the postcards, it's just the front/back cover that warped. Think I will try keeping it wrapped up from now on with tight rubber bands. I also had kept the original shrink wrap on it, but cut open on the side and part of the top.

19. That's also a thought I had.

20. murga

murga Forum Resident

avoid this on cd,like plague....i mean,really...irish tour and live in europe sound so much better

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

This is a goodie, it rocks! I can't see any Rory fan not enjoying this. Love the electric Wheels Within Wheels.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Can't agree there. Rory is in fine form on this release.

23. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Bumping this back up as I just finished listening to the studio album, which I first and last listened to when I bought it a couple years ago, but for some reason considered it kind of lackluster at the time.

WOW......my bad.

I have to say that I am now quite happy with the studio album except for the songs that later appeared on Photo Finish as I consider those to be the definitive versions seeing that I have lived with and enjoyed them for 37 (!) years now.

So, the "premakes" on this album are actually outtakes as far as I'm concerned. But as a friend of mine likes to say: "There ain't no bad Rory." True that.

The live disc is essential for any Rory fan IMHO. And I don't need to listen to it again now (though I am listening to it as I type).

Rory On!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    slipkid likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It is an excellent release :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.