'new' Rory Gallagher - Notes From San Francisco

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks. I just registered on the forum on Rory's official website and tried asking up there in the thread about the release. Hopefully someone up there can explain what the different versions are. I looked around on the website (and other places on the 'net) but can't find any details as to different versions.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK, as bobquisp said, the middle priced one is a book type thing, a record of Rory's travels, has a bunch of letters/postcards/etc that he sent home while on the road. It actually looks pretty cool (photo attached below).

The most expensive one appears to be a vinyl set, or might be vinyl added to the mid priced set (I'm not sure).

You can see images up on Amazon and play.com.

Attached Files:

3. IMO more people need to know Rory's music.

Releases like this should help to spread the word.

The "MONTREUX" and "ROCKPALAST" DVDs are absolutely essential documents of this guy's talents. :thumbsup:

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

This will be a blast from the past. Really looking forward to it.

5. Any opinion from anyone who's heard this new release? And how's the sound quality ? (Not sure if the studio and live releases have been remastered...)

Thanks.

6. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

Totally agree.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

This has never been released before in any form (studio or live), so therefore no "remastering" has taken place.

I decided to go with the limited edition one that isn't coming out for about a month so I haven't heard this yet. I am interested to hear from other Rory fans familiar with the Photo-Finish album what they think of the different recordings/arrangments/etc of some of those songs are like on this.

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

A few very positive reviews are posted on Amazon. I skimmed them - no mention of sound quality just the music. :)

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks, just went up there & read 'em. Some interesting comments. I think I will definitely favor the stripped down familiar Photo-finish arrangements over these alternative band lineup ones (with horns/keyboards/etc) but am still looking fwd to hearing this new release.

10. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

I have the release and I haven't been able to stop playing it. The studio CD is outstanding even though some of the songs were on Photo-Finish. The live CD has the energy of Stage Struck with a great setlist. It is packaged very nicely and the family has done a nice job with this one. They just need to keep em' coming !

It is an absolute must have for any Rory fan.

Gary

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The live disc is incredible. Rory is absolutely on fire. IMO, the best official live document of Rory's playing.

12. easyge

easyge Senior Member

This is great stuff. Great songwriting and playing. Rory is sooo underated. Now I need to dig out Photo Finish again...

I saw him open for Rush in 83 and was blown away. Really one of the few opening bands I have seen that really thrilled me.

The sound is really pretty good. Does not seem maximized but is a modern mastering.

Every Rory fan should buy this one.

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't like the "new" studio/live record. Not my cup of tea.

14. Delta Steve

Delta Steve Forum Resident

There was an Interview with Donal & Daniel Gallagher on NIcky Horne,s programme tonight on Planet Rock, only caught a few minutes though, they played "Cradle Rock" from the Live CD, sounded good, even on the portable DAB radio in the kitchen
    What a nice guy Donal his, went to a Rory Exhibition in London some years ago which had his guitars, memorabilia, lyrics etc and Donal personally showed us around, even showed us THE battered Stratocaster that Rory always played from his early years (the one in the glass cabinet was a "signature" one that Fender were producing) and spoke to us about his brother, must have been one hell of a guy and yes, he deserves to be rated far higher than he is amongst the great guitarists.

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Wow.....better than Irish Tour and Live in Europe? I might have to take a second look at this.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm still waiting for this to arrive (I ordered the deluxe one with the book) but I was listening to Photo-Finish on CD the other day to get psyched.

It really does sound very different from what I remembered from my old vinyl. Unfortunately I sold my vinyl without ever doing a CDR transfer of it, not realizing the CD version was a remix.

Does anyone still have their vinyl for Photo-Finish with the original mix?

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I really was blown away. Irish Tour has always set the bar for live Rory as far as I am concerned, but I think this new live disc is absolutely blistering. It is a different kind of live presentation, particularly because it is a trio, but Rory really attacks on this live disc.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Just finished the studio disc...fantastic!!!:cheers::cheers:

19. I just received the new Limited Edition book-style version of this release. Nice packaging, I really like it. Created for the music lover in mind.

Why they think they have to make it sound like s**t by adding tons of compression and sucking all life out of it is beyond me. The dynamics on this new release are totally squashed and I am furious. Why are the record companies so stupid???

Here's a wav-form from the track "Persuasion". No comment.

It gets a little better later on, see the 2nd wav-form... oh, sorry that is actually the first track of Metallica's Death Magnetic album...known as a wonder of dynamic CD mastering.

I am thinking about returning this product, even though I do like Rory Gallagher and the packaging is nice.

Attached Files:

sjaca likes this.
  20. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Based on that waveform, I now will not purchase this CD. I may be depriving myself of some interesting music, but I will not support those mastering techniques.

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for posting that stuff. Very depressing.

I'm afraid this type of thing is standard for almost all new CDs (as we all know up here). Hopefully my tin ears won't really notice anything amiss and I'll still be able to enjoy the music, but I understand the logic behind not wanting compression/jacked up levels.

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I am more interested in the music than the mastering. Unfortunately Rory was not able to have any control over this. I want to hear the live performance, I can overlook the mastering, if I have to.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

...and we thought the Loudness-War is over ;)

by the way... I don't like the reissue for sound and performance.

24. Chris Schoen

I did'nt like the latest Rory Gallagher reissues either. Still listen to original vinyls, or needle-drops. I have a Japan un-remastered c.d. of "Against The Grain" that is really good.

25. Chris Schoen

I will check to make sure I still have the vinyl of this one. I believe I do. Will p.m. you later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.