New Rhino Handmade release - "The Stooges" Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by El Toro Rojo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Thanks for your efforts, kind sir!

2. neil

neil Senior Member

just got replacement discs. The disc numbers are right, but the mastering is not. Crap

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's good to know. Hope they announce something soon. I e-mailed them and got an RA # yesterday. I'll hold off for a week or so to see if anything comes of this.

4. agentalbert

The e-mail response I got from John Hughes regarding the speed issue on the Cale mixes:

"We at Rhino Handmae wanted to shed some light on the questions that have been raised regarding several of the bonus tracks on our Collectors Edition of the Stooges' debut album.

The John Cale mixes that were featured on the 2005 Deluxe Edition of the album were pitch corrected from the existing mix reel, which is the only existing master in our vaults. For the new Collector's Edition, no pitch correction was done and we left the songs exactly as they were found on the master. The same master was used for both releases."

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok, is that all he said? It doesn't really say anything about what our expectations should be for a "correction". Is he trying to say that we got what was on the master tape, so that is what we should be happy with? Or is he saying for the "general" release 5 years ago we "futzed" with the master tape to give the public what we think is correct, but for the collectors edition we gave you what was exactly on the tape?

I understand his answer, but I don't understand what, if anything, they plan to do for the people, like me, who own the collectors edition (purchased direct from Rhino Handmade) - his response if very non-committal.

6. agentalbert

I take it they don't plan to DO anything. They are saying the current release is what they intended.

7. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

The Grateful Dead vault releases through Rhino have had numerous production issues too. It seems that they really need to get someone new taking over quality control there. Their current quality control is absolutely unacceptable. I had been planning on buying this Stooges package sometime soon but now I think I'll wait and see how this turns out. For $50 I expect perfection.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

What a cop out. There is no way the entire album was intended to run that slow. Sounds like they know they goofed and are trying to pass the error off as being the intention of the producer.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

I'm also pretty skeptical that this was done on purpose. If that was truly the case they could have easily mentioned it in the information regarding the release when they put it onsale as they could have anticipated people having an issue with this.

10. neil

neil Senior Member

what an utterly stupid response from Rhino. They decided to release it at the wrong pitch because its the way they found it? Would they have released it to us with all the mold and water damage too if they found it that way? Deceptive trade or just stupid. Is there a difference anymore?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

It would be interesting if everyone returned their sets, demanding a refund.

12. Chris M

I just emailed Rhino asking for instructions on returning the set citing the speed error.

13. Chris M

I imagine more people have received their copies by now. Any comments? The Cale mix does seem to sound a bit better here for the common tracks but the speed problem renders it unlistenable. I feel for those that bought this just for the complete Cale mix.

I got a kick out of the session takes of Little Doll and Real Cool Time. Pretty rough instro takes but the sound quality is amazing. It really sounds like you are on the studio floor with the band.

Great to finally hear Asthma Attack but it isn't something you will return to. Sort of like a looser LA Blues with a much better drum sound. The first 30 seconds or so are arresting but that's about it.

14. Chris M

15. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Glad Amoeba is not one to gouge the casual fan :rolleyes:

16. cdice

cdice New Member

Ditto. I got my replacement CDs yesterday. The discs are silkscreened in the original red LP label color, and disc #1 is now disc #1 and disc #2 is now disc#2, but the John Cale mastering is still slow. So, will Rhino be sending out replacements for the replacements?! Seriously!

17. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

It doesn't appear so.

Since I don't own this set, it would be beneficial to everyone here for someone to let us know the exact percentage of "slowness" that needs to be corrected with audio software.

I assume the easiest/best way to figure this out is to simply match these against the 4 "proper" speed Cale mixes from the first deluxe edition ("No Fun"/IWBYD/"1969"/"Little Doll")?

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So disappointing. I guess in the quest to lower costs the Quality Control people are either gone or stretched too thin.

19. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Is there a new code for a discount?

20. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Finally got a response from Dr. Rhino:

Dear Zak,

I apologize for the tardiness of this response. We do not have any plans to reissue discs for the Cale mixes. If you would like to return your copy, we can either provide with a refund or an exchange for a title(s) of comparable price.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and/or if you have any questions.

Dr. Rhino

crap.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So do they acknowledge that there is a flaw with the disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.