New Rhino Handmade release - "The Stooges" Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by El Toro Rojo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Even with the discount, that's a high dollars-to-new-material ratio. Pass . . .

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks dude:)

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You're Welcome!

4. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I'm a huge Stooges fan and I bought the Funhouse Sessions when it came out--and I was a lot poorer then. That was $120 for six full-to-the-brim disks all of which had to be mixed and mastered. This is $50 for less than one cd worth of new material. Or $40. I might change my mind, but pass.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

-store know to stock it
    -reviewers care enough to write about it
    -easier to advertise
    -with the proper album attached it's not seen as "inferior"
    -juicing the sales of the album proper
    -fans(plus casual fans that may borrow a copy) can compare the outtakes with the "real deal" in one place.
    -artists can be convinced to release lackluster recordings since it's only a "bonus" or the price point means only harcores are buying
    -welcome to the music biz in 2010.

6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Doesn't Rhino offer high resolution downloads of songs? Can we just download the new tracks from this, or is Rhino Handmade not offering this service?

7. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

funhouse complete sessions

I love Spotify :righton:

8. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Stocking and advertising are not at issue with a mail-order-only Handmade release.

All this is--a cynical attempt to see just how much hardcore Stooges fans, who bid up the Funhouse box to $500, will pay for a few scraps. Me, I would pay $25 for this package--and be pissed about it--but I would pay it.

9. reverberationmusic

reverberationmusic Forum Resident

I ordered it came to $45+ after discount but with postage. Not being numbered I don't see this going out of print & becoming collectible, I used to buy 3 of every 4 Rhino Handmade's on average now it's less than 50% since nothing may go out of print on this label from now on.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Just ordered my copy. Really looking forward to this one. To get it over $50 and get free shipping I added the recent single disc Tim Buckley comp for $7.99.

11. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Apparently something is wrong with the Cale tracks, they play too slow. Cale have been notified and is investigating the matter. I hope the final release is corrected...

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I saw mention on the other board but couldn't it be they run too fast on the other release? Did they have a better source tape for the Cale mixes?

13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

On the samples they have on the website the Cale Mixes sound too slow to me - when compared to the original tracks. Hopefully this is just an issue with the samples and not on the CD itself.

Chris please post your thoughts when this arrives. I think it'll take ages to make it over here (UK) because of the damn volcano.

14. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Just received this e-mail from Rhino Handmade regarding THE STOOGES COLLECTOR'S EDITION:

A disc labeling error occurred during the production of this boxed set where Disc 1 contains the contents of Disc 2 and vice versa; also, the disc labels should be red, to reflect the original label color as issued in 1969. All of the music we promised you is on the discs, our plant just mislabeled them.

We will be sending you replacement discs with the correct labels beginning May 7th – FREE OF CHARGE. Your original order of THE STOOGES COLLECTOR'S EDITION is already en route. We sincerely apologize and we appreciate your patience.

As our way of making it up to you, here's a special promo code. We can't tell you what it's for just yet, but hold on to it, because as a Stooges fan, you're going to be glad you have it in a few weeks....

Gee, what could it be? Keep watching...

The implication is that Rhino Handmade will be reissuing The Stooges Complete Funhouse Sessions, or at least something to do with The Stooges Funhouse album.-NOS300B

15. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Let's hope it is that, but maybe it will be a not quite completely expanded Funhouse.

On another note, this is yet one more quality error by Rhino, adding to their growing list, including but not limited to The Doors vinyl box, Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry remastered CD, the Seconds Out CDs from the Genesis Live box, etc. Fortunately, they caught it early this time, and we don't have to go through Dr. Rhino to try to get it resolved.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Dr. Rhino is dead. There is no more e-mail for that individual - whoever it was must have been let go in that purge of staff this past Fall. Customer service is a 1-888 number that no matter when you call goes straight to India. Trust me, I know.

However...I will say this. At least they realized they had a problem early, and are sending out replacement discs to purchasers - we consumers have to do nothing. And even with The Doors vinyl box sets, buyers received not only replacement jackets, but replacement vinyl as well. More specialty labels who screw up "hyped" releases could learn from this example (cough-cough, Audio Fidelity, cough-cough).

17. LordThanos1969

That is interesting Dr. Rhino has disappeared. As for the Doors vinyl box set, you are right that initially replacements covers and vinyl were available. However, they shut that program off long ago (maybe circa February 2009). There are still many of those defective, sealed sets being sold. Amazon just recently removed that set from their site due to issues being discovered: Doors Vinyl Set on Amazon.

18. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'm hoping it's the long awaited release of the Stooges Live at Unganos from 1970 where they basically played the Funhouse set + possibly a track called Way Down in Egypt

19. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Well the e-mail from Rhino Handmade made reference to Funhouse but some Stooges fans on the Stooges forum are speculating that it may be a deluxe edition of Funhouse with the Ungano's set as an extra CD. In any case I have e-mailed Rhino and requested a release of the Ungano's set and anyone else can do the same.

20. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

I'm not sure where you got your information, but Dr. Rhino was still around two months ago, both by email and phone. It was still Mac Dunlop, who has been identified as Dr. Rhino in many threads on this site. I dealt with him by phone and email. He replaced two defective disks in my Big Star box set.

21. LordThanos1969

Or maybe, it could be the complete Funhouse sessions with Ungano's as a bonus CD! I'm sure that would cost an arm and a leg, though.

22. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

While too late to edit my previous post, from Rhino's website:

"At Rhino, we stand behind our products. If, for any reason, you are unsatisfied with your Rhino purchase you may return it to Rhino for a replacement, exchange, or refund (restrictions may apply). Please contact Dr. Rhino for full details via any of the following methods:

Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 1-800-546-3670 or 1-212-444-0760
    Snail Mail:
    Rhino Customer Service
    Attn. Dr. Rhino
    3400 W. Olive Ave. 4th Floor
    Burbank, CA 91505"

CellPhoneFred's comment about a 1-888 number going straight to India may be true, but that wasn't the correct number for Dr. Rhino.

23. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Back in February I was having problems with Rhino Homemade's release of The Monkees "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees" deluxe box set - the problem being they charged me for two copies (as ordered) but shipped only one.

Now...I e-mailed Dr. Rhino several times (didn't have that 1-800 number for him at that time - the web-site was still under construction to some degree) and did not receive one response from him/her. Perhaps since my issue was not involving a return/replacement/refund (At Rhino, we stand behind our products. If, for any reason, you are unsatisfied with your Rhino purchase you may return it to Rhino for a replacement, exchange, or refund (restrictions may apply). Please contact Dr. Rhino for full details via any of the following methods), but was an issue with the distribution center, Dr. Rhino felt it was okay to simply ignore my e-mails. Regardless, after several tries of e-mailing Dr. Rhino over a period of two weeks and receiving not one reply, I assumed the account was dead after the lay-offs/firings of 6 months back. How silly of me! It was just piss-poor customer service from Dr. Rhino!

24. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Dr. Rhino took quite a while to send my replacement disks (over six weeks). That's why I mentioned both email & phone: he didn't respond to a couple of emails, but after I phoned, I had the disks the next day. You're right, it was piss-poor customer service.

And let's be honest, two defective disks in a four disk set! Anyway, I hope you finally received your missing set or a refund.

25. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

>>>The implication is that Rhino Handmade will be reissuing The Stooges Complete Funhouse Sessions, or at least something to do with The Stooges Funhouse album.-NOS300B

Didn't Rhino issue a box set of the complete Funhouse sessions several years ago? And I know there's a two-disc Rhino of the LP tracks and selected outtakes from the sessions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.