New Rhino Atmos Blu-Ray series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Mar 27, 2024.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Thanks! But also, ouch! :laugh:

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

These are pretty lowest common denominator picks, but I'm glad they're doing it anyway. I likely snag Rumours, as I don't yet have this in surround. (I do have the Perception set, so don't have much use for the Doors comp.) If they reissue more old classics that I missed the first time around, I won't complain. I'm just glad Rhino keeps putting more product out there.

3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Can’t find a link?!

4. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Tomorrow — see Post #17

longdist01 and Simon A like this.
  5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

Rhino has yet to share the info.

Keep an eye out for their annoucement tomorrow on their website.

Erick Haight likes this.
  6. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

My hope is some overlap with the Rhino High Fidelity LP titles, like The Cars or Television…

7. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

hopefully they won't be disappointed with initial sales of series cause those titles (other than alanis and that one isn't even 5.1) have been out in surround for ages and most people that want them have them.

Jarleboy, longdist01 and quicksrt like this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm glad about the series but i'm not glad about any of the titles
    Fleetwood Mac, maybe. But I already have the SACD so I doubt I need it.
    I've got the Doors Perception box.
    I hope the next round of titles is more appealing

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Maybe we will get Europe 72 !!

quicksrt, soilmusicguy, ARK and 7 others like this.
  10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's now listed on Rhino. Unfortunately doesn't state anything but mixed by Bruce B. I assume they are the same Atmos and DVD-A mixes for the multi-channel mixes. No idea about the stereo mix or mastering though.

Jarleboy and audiomixer like this.
  11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I will get Doors and Fleetwood Mac. Lossless Atmos is attractive.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m interested in those as well. I was close to buying the Rumours SACD recently. Good thing I didn’t. Though I think the 5.1 mix is better than the Atmos mix. Same with the Doors material. But hey, happy to have any Atmos on a disc.

andycherry and formu_la like this.
  13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am super excited with this series from Rhino! I am not interested in any of these initial titles (except Rumours if we get a digital 2.0 Hoffman/Gray), but I look forward to future announcements. I still need to catch up on the Quadio releases since I haven’t picked up any from the second batch and two of them I want. So many things to buy! I am grateful the option is there.

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I confirmed with Rhino that the Best of the Doors will have the original stereo mixes FYI.

15. murch

murch Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the 5.1 mixes are from the 40th surround mixes or are they down mixes from the 2023 Atmos versions? I ask because the 40th 5.1 and Atmos surround mixes are very different, have different content, different instrumentation etc.

marklamb and supermd like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think it’s safe to assume it’s the 40th 5.1 mix, just like I’m assuming the Rumours 5.1 mix is that earlier 5.1 mix and not an Atmos downmix. They would have commented if it was merely a downmix.

17. RichardChaney

RichardChaney Member

The new series from Rhino promises interesting audio experiences. An impressive array of formats for every artist is a real treat for Surround music fans. I'm sure many will enjoy this new audio experience and appreciate the variety of formats offered for each work.

18. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Let's hope for a physical release of Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" Atmos mix, which was done, but is barely on streaming services. That would be AMAZING!

Wmcmanus, soilmusicguy, ARK and 7 others like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We've been through this before, awaiting our favorite quad releases, and then later our favorite SACD releases. Labels have learned they can justify doing new surround mixes if you make that the carrot that leads the donkey into an overpriced box with a 113-page book weighing-it-down. So no-brainer titles are going to lead the way to get their confidence level up before you start seeing those niche titles finally coming your way.

It's easier to see where the interest for these now, because they've already had streaming services do the research for them, by offering the mixes first. So, you're more likely to see the ones you can already hear on Apple, Amazon and Tidal, because they're already done.

And pragmatically, Dr. Rhino will probably opt to choose profitability over the quality of the Atmos mix itself. Which is too bad for me, as I'd hate to have to wait for a Tower Of Power set where you actually have to look up to "see" the tower!

Jarleboy and longdist01 like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

In the dwindling era of physical media, Rhino is sure leading the pack at monetizing what is left!

21. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

22. Are The Doors ATMOS mixes completely different from the 5.1 mixes? I remember somebody saying they were close to the 5.1 mixes, but I'm not sure.

There are a load of differences between the original stereo mixes and the stereo / 5.1 versions; extended songs, extra count-ins, way more reverb, etc.

Are these more faithful to the OG mixes, or no?

23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I would personally say the Atmos mixes are more faithful to the original stereo mixes compared to the 5.1, but there are differently some differences in both mixes compared to the original stereo mixes.

hello.mother.41a and SJP like this.
  24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Not sure, but I would assume they would use the existing 5.1 mixes from the Perception box set. They did not use an Atmos downmix for the 5.1 mix of the Blu-ray release of Moondance.

murch likes this.
  25. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

"Riders On The Storm" in Atmos is completely different from the prior 5.1 mix and the quad mix. There's a bit of studio chatter before the intro, and the storm sounds are much more prominent. Towards the end, there are also some Morrison vocal ad-libs and finger snaps that weren't on the original. It's a bit gimmicky, but makes for a fun Atmos demo.