New music isnt doing it for me

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I try, but the 2007 releases I own break down like this

happy with...

Wilco
    White Stripes
    McCartney
    Licinda Williams
    Air
    Dinosaur Jr
    Grinderman (Nick Cave side project)
    Pat Metheny - Metheny Mehldau Quartet
    Amy Winehouse

Jurys still out on...

Tori Amos
    Porcupine Tree
    Glen Mercer (former Feelie)
    Waterboys
    Rush
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    Chris Cornell
    Savage Republic (Ep)

not too happy with

Norah Jones
    Stooges
    Danny & Dusty (Steve Wynn side project)
    Patti Smith
    Ian Hunter
    Son Volt
    John Mellencamp
    Golden Smog (Ep)
    Fu Manchu
    Arcade Fire

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Amy Winehouse is a 2006 album. I do quite like it though.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, December 2006. Given that the Xmas season means no new music will be heard, I'd say calling it a 2007 album is accurate.

4. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

My favourite period for rock music is the mid 60s to mid 70s roughly with exceptions of course. I'm still collecting music from the period as the number of great bands seems endless.

I was a teenager and in my 20s during the 80s and hated most of that era with a few exceptions like XTC, the Clash or the Police, was busy having kids in the 90s and largely tuned out of the music scene and got back into music listening this century. Though I prefer the classic rock period, I have been buying a lot of music I skipped over during the 90s like the Porcupine Tree, Nirvana, IQ, the Flower Kings, and more recently the Tangent and many others. 2006 and 07 have seen great new releases by Porcupine Tree, Rush, the Decemberists, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blackfield and many more.

Often you have to really look hard to find the good new music but it is out there and it needs our support. The 60s and 70s well with run dry eventually.

5. Spaceboy

October 2006 actually. Maybe it was December in the US.

6. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

I feel your pain and I feel the same way. I think it's a valid question and a valid concern and a valid opinion and certainly not meaningless.

I see that you said "9 out of 10", but some members here don't want to hear anything about today's music not pleasing anybody, and when you even attempt to bring up the topic, you get slammed and more or less accused of being narrow-minded and your 9 out 10 becomes 10 out 10 to them and they seem personally attacked :eek: .

I think that is rather cruel. To the people that are finding lots of new stuff that they like, that's great, more power to you. But leave this guy alone, he is obviously NOT and he's allowed. If you don't agree, that's fine but let's not insult him in the process. :tsk:

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You know there is such a great missed opportunity here with Norah Jones. She has a wonderful voice but her music needs to worked on. It;s so middle of the road. More than it should be.

I saw her live a few years back and she was good but her songs lack something. Her covers are wonderful. Her verion of Cold Cold Heart or Turn Me On are just great. Hopefully she'll mature as a songwriter.

Eddie

8. serge

serge Forum Resident

come on! there is no argument.. music today and i speak of ROCK AND ROLL sucks compared to before..

take the year 1966 or 1967 or 1968 or 1969 or 1970 or 1977 or even I daresay the last gasp 1994..compare any of those to the new millenium and you hardly find anything...

and its not that there isn't new music its just that its not rock and roll.... or more precisely there is no roll.no joy...

and this is all reflected in the fact that to kids today rock is a very very minor type of music.... its been superseded by other types of music... primarily hip hop (which is facing its own problems now)..

recently i went to see the black rebel motocycle club.. i understand they have their fans and detractors but it was like watching a really lame version of jesus and the mary chain..

and speakign of modern bands.. live they blow! they have no conception of ENTERTAINING you.. they sit there sometimes with their hands in their pockets and hardly even look at you while they look as glum and morose.. just once i would like to hear a band take to the stage like aerosmith did in the 70s "HELLO CLEVELAND WE ARE GOING TO ROCK YOUR BALLS OFF!!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

seriously, the relevance of rock and roll in modern music has dwindled tremendously and this is partly because modern bands have forgotten what it used to be about and in my opinion should still be about for kids: FUN! SEx! DRUGS! BOOZE! and above all LOOSE WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!

belle and sebastian is great in their way but they are music for locking yourself up in your room and having a good cry about the girl who doesn't even know you...

until bands go back to the ACDC/STONES/CHUCK BERRY rock and roll its game over... not only is the modern music largely depressing and does not give one the euphoria/rush one needs ...but its downright depressing and its about some deepseated almost violent nauseous bitterness..its no wonder kids increasingly avoid this self-punishment..

i do not speak of bands like guided by voices (who sold very few recodrs) but rather of bands like system of a down , tool ... creed, you know the bands that sell records.. the "ROCK" bands that are on the radio..that sell..that teenagers listen to... or listened to three years ago...the limp bizkits.. you know who they are..

these bands are addressing a completely different psychological need in teens that i can't relate to..

a few months ago i was at a bar with a big juke.. i put in my 10 bucks.. out came the rock and roll.. the stones doing their best chuckberry on star****er... that kind of stuff... i saw a freaky looking longhaired guy who looked like he hadn't got laid in the new millenium.. he puts in some money and out comes the violent hate crap ..the crap that sells.not the decembrists or have the stuff that people on this thread are saying is the good new music... i had a long talk with him... we decided that music just fulfilled different things for us... he was convinced the world was horrible and wanted to wallow in that sludge pit.. i thought that when i went to a bar i wanted to party and have fun and forget about the horrible world...and i wanted the music to be up..

anyways i hope somewhere on this rambling post there is a contribution that is worthwhile to this thread...

to compare the state of modern rock and roll to the 60s and 70s is nuts.. first of all its not even rock and roll... second of all: NO ONE IS LISTENING OR PAYING ATTENTION!!!!!!!!

9. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

I guess the question is, then, what's the point of this thread? If I posted a thread saying I don't like 9 out of 10 Dylan/Beatles/Stones albums or 60s/70s albums in general, and then asked if old people have "different hearing" than I do, I'd get raked over the coals. Starting a thread like this is just asking people to defend what they think is great music that is currently being released.

10. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

dec 19 2006 in the states

11. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

I took a chance and bought that (Back to Back). What steaming pile!

12. Spaceboy

Back to Black is better. :wave:

13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Looking at this thread makes me feel sorry for all the people that don't have a good college or independent radio station in their area. There are two radio stations in my area (Baltimore/DC), WTMD and WRNR, that always play new stuff, and most of it is good. These stations have restored my faith in music. Sure, you have to look to find the good stuff, but it's there. Believe it or not, I listen to more new music now than I did in my teen years (I'm 27).

A few of the new artists or new releases I'm digging right now are:

Brandi Carlile
    Calexico
    Neko Case
    Wilco
    Bright Eyes
    Once-Soundtrack
    The Shins

Of course, I just discovered ELO's ANWR, so that has been in heavy rotation too.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Exactly. I look back on my teen years of the 80s as the golden age of music - R.E.M., the Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, Husker Du, the Replacements, etc. - I couldn't believe I was living at a time when all these bands were putting out classic records every year and actually coming to play at clubs and theatres in my town - of course, all the people who had lived through the 60s were always complaning about how 80s music sucked. :p In the 90s, I became a cranky old man at age 25 or so, wondering how Pearl Jam and Soundgarden had pulled the wool over everyone's eyes and made them think that grunge was music. :p 20 years from now, the kids who are 18 years old today will look back on the White Stripes and the Arcade Fire as the giants of music, I guarantee it.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I grew up in the 80's and thought the music was crap at the time. Now I can appreciate it for the nostalgia value at least. ;)

16. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Yes, us younger people probably have better hearing than the rest of you. :p

Seriously though, I do believe that the 60s was the Golden Age of music and I grew up about 20 years later. I do tend to agree that there are not many good albums these days. It seems to be more of a singles market nowadays, probably due to iTunes and the like. Most artists seem to pad their albums with lots of filler. There are lots of great songs out there, but not so many great albums. I don't remember the last time I heard an album from start to finish that blew me away. I think if you're expecting to find the next Dark Side or Who's Next or whatever, you'll be disappointed by today's output. There are lots of wonderful songs out there though, so don't give up hope yet.

17. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I think theres been a drastic pussification and/or perversion of the rock star image we all knew. And I also have to agree, a relatively small amount new music can be considered rock&roll at all. Emo, screamo, whatever...its all wallowing, self pity that makes me want to puke. Dont these people ever just say "***** it", and have a good time? These people are like walking mortuaries.

18. benintune

benintune New Member

I think there is some truth to that because our teen years is when most people discover music and have a lot of memories etc with music involved somehow. However, I grew up in the 80's and prefer 70's and 60's music in general. I still love the 80's though...

19. Dave W S

Dave W S New Member

If you did post threads like you mention, I would like to think I'd disagree with you and perhaps even jest a little to lighten the mood, but not seriously try and insult you personally and hurt your feelings.

What's the point of this thread? I would assume he's looking to hear from other people that feel the way he does and/or people that might convince him otherwise. I doubt if anybody is going to convince him there is good music today at the same time that they're making him feel like he's ignorant.

20. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Ah! I'll have to give it a try.:p

21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

:) You are undoubtedly correct!

I think this is a very good point - people of my generation (and older) tend to think strictly in terms of albums, but that's not the strength of todays music scene. Most of the "younger" folks that I occasionally hang out with virtually never put on an album, but will commonly play a mix. And that can be pretty cool, too.

While I am primarily an old fart when it comes to my music purchases, I have been impressed with some new stuff that friends have played for me, including Wilco, porcupine tree, Calexico (I really liked that!) and a few others. I will admit that I sort of liked the White Stripes, but that didn't make me want to rush out and buy any of their stuff.

In any case, I can see that there is some good new music, but it is a bit tougher to find!

Bill

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It ocurred to me while reading your post. Rock has becaome too introspective and personal. Maybe that's why it no longer has the attitude it once did. That's why people from all walks of life can no longer gather 'round and enjoy the same thing.

To add, I know way too many young musicians who are so far off into their own little world of personal experimentation, they've forgotten what it's supposed to be about. One guy I work with, he's a musician and his faviorite bands are Joy Division and Depeche Mode. All he cares about is how he can mix up this style of music with jazz. he shuns anything remotely commercial-sounding. Then he complains about constantly losing drummers and bass players because they are too far off into their own little musical world.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I recall people saying the same thing back in the '70s.

24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Absolutely. Mixes are huge nowadays. Look how well those NOW/WOW compilations sell. Most people I know put just their iPod on shuffle and just let it go and if they do play an entire album its usually one of the classics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.