New music isnt doing it for me

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Saying you don't like "new music" is completely meaningless. It's not like there is this genre of music called "new music". Music today is at the very least as varied as it was in the 60's. I can't imagine rejecting *all* types of music made in the 21st Century. If you can't find any current music that appeals to you then you either aren't trying or your tastes are very narrow.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Sure we do. There might not be excitement in the media about it anymore. There might not be the hype and anticipation building up to that next album. But in the end, we all have the same great music. Hearing X album for the first time for me was just as special as it was for anyone else capable of appreciating it.

I imagine there are also advantages to being younger and looking back on great music without the haze of culture around it at the time of its release date. All I have is the music to go by, I dont really care about what things were like in the 60s (many times the music tells the story anyhow). Great music stands the test of time regardless, and I'm not left clinging to the less-than-great stuff (yes, not all 60s music was revolutionary) just because it was apart of my life.

3. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

You know, I'm doing a ton of that myself.

I grew up with classic 60's & 70's rock, but as I've gotten older, I've noticed the blues roots of a lot of my favourites. This propelled me into the realm of blues, and it seems like there's a lifetime of discovery to be made there.

Most of my "new" music is old music that I had never discovered, and there seems to be a wealth of amazing stuff out there - especially in vinyl :)

I'm doing a parallel thing with Jazz as well - I never cared for jazz until a few years ago, but now I'm going a little crazy learning about/collecting both jazz and blues.

I have heard some pretty good new "indie" music at a friends, but right now my music journey is back in time...

Bill

4. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

I agree its pretty tough to find new music that really resonates...I think its partly due to age though. New artists I follow like a crazed cultist are: White Stripes (err Jack White mostly), Tool, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Queens of the Stone Age and Ryan Adams. I listen to a ton of other new music but its mostly to have new sounds playing...nothing really affects me like 70s era rock...my favorite musical decade.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Theres a lot to explore out there - probably more than one could explore in a lifetime - 'new' music doesn't necessarily have to be recently or currently recorded. Maybe try some good '60's jazz or bluegrass. Popular vocalists like Nat King Cole or June Christy. Obscure prog from the early '70's. Where does it end?

6. I was just talking about this with my 18 year old daughter a few days ago. I was sharing with her about how songs and albums make a greater impact on your life when you're younger, as opposed to when you get to be my age (46), and older.

I know that's a pretty broad generalization, but it's rung loud and true in my case.

When you're young, the music is like a soundtrack for your life, and all the changes you're going through, as opposed to when we get older, it just seems to be background noise.

7. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

No I dont think that's true. There seems to be a lot more recycled stuff these days, a lack of originality, and a lot of what is original is original for originality's sake, it often doesnt sound very good.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'll admit this much: I do struggle greatly to avoid falling into the "music was better when I was in school" trap. 'Cos it is a trap. Now that I finally have a great stereo system, I want to always be feeding it with great new music!

Oh, in post #25 I forgot to mention Ivy (another great new-ish pop band). I also have dipped my toe into the well of electronica, occasionally there's music of real beauty and startling juxtaposition being made there (Photek, Squarepusher, Goldie etc.).

9. Chris M

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

10. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

Hear, Hear!!!
    These are 'new' and none of them (IMHO) suck.

Axton Kincaid Songs From the Pine Room
    Jonatha Brooke Careful What You Wish For
    Brandi Carlile The Story
    Jalan Crossland Trailer Park Fire & Other Tragedies
    Feist The Reminder
    Patty Griffin Children Running Through
    Mary Karlzen The Wanderlust Diaries
    Renee Stahl Hopeful Romantic
    Lewis Taylor The Lost Album
    Lucinda Williams West

There's another thread about current music around here with lots of good suggestions in it.

Tom

11. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Agreed. And even if it does sound good and is not a complete rip-off, it is at least a derivative of older music. I'd rather go back to the source as much as possible, as long as the recording is of good quality.

12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The desire for the novel and nourishing in music is a big part of what makes me read (and post to) this estimable forum. Everyone here is doing much the same, whether they know it or not.

I get a lot more out of it than I contribute, though!:D

13. Chris M

Isn't it funny how what people deem to be the best era for rock music just happens to coincide with their teen years?

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Ipso Facto, Cogito Ergo Something!:D

Bought my first Beatles album at age 10; started grousing about disco and punk at age 23 or so!

15. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Its a decaying trend. In fact, I hated pretty much all the music from my teen years.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No Chris, the young kids have spoken, the smart ones don't like the crap out there, and the entire industry is in calapse. If you read this thread is is not all old folks who are not impressed by the current climate.

17. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Well, I'm 24, and you sure don't have to feel sorry for me. Heck, there are two new releases out this week that I'm excited about... the Polyphonic Spree and the White Stripes.

18. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

:laugh:

Keep on living in the past, Jeff. If this is what's considered an industry "calapse" then everything is going to be just fine.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, I looked at your music collection, and it says it all.:)

20. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

BINGO. :righton:

21. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Maybe not an out and out collapse....but definitely a continuing downward spiral. Its been going on so gradually for such a long time that maybe its difficult for some to realize how far music has fallen. Even in a desert you can find water though...I've preordered Steve's Icky Thump LP and am stoked about it (ok, I've been stoked for months, now its just becoming an disorder) . But if you like lots of modern music, more power to you!

22. Spaceboy

Exactly. Mostly old stuff.

23. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I could say this about every record I've ever heard, regardless of era.

24. Spaceboy

25. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Most libraries have "mostly old stuff" too. What's in my music collection isn't necessarily an accurate representation of what I'm currently listening to and enjoying. Do you think I'm listening to Wish You Were Here and Led Zeppelin II over and over again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.