New McCartney song a ballad & in upcoming film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

2. deville

deville Forum Resident

Originally Posted by MusicFan76:
    This song is a b-side...if it's lucky. Come on folks, this is a stinker.

+1
    I've never been a die-hard solo Macca fan, but I'd take "Motor Of Love" over this. It's a nice sentiment (the lyrics), but the delivery is clunky and under-developed.

Paul, I love you and all... but

REALLY?

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I just got the song on MP3 with an Amazon MP3 credit. As usual with Paul, it has a nice melody, but the lyrics are a bit clunky IMO. I actually like "Meat Free Monday" better. I hope this isn't an indication of how Paul's next album is going to sound. I'd like to see him mix it up and try a different producer, someone who will challenge him ala Nigel Godrich.

4. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

I thought the studio version was really crap, but the youtube live version was kind of nice. I'm really not a post-Beatles McCartney fan, though (and believe me, I've tried a fair bit, not quite given up yet, perhaps), so take that into account.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Paul and band are nailing this song live. I was expecting it a subpar version, as it'd be too early to get this perfect onstage. I really loved the way it turned out.

6. Claudio Dirani

Actually, I liked the lyrics and most of people who use to dislike Paul's lyrics agreed on that. Anyway, the text is based on the film plot so there you go.

7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

"It was fun hanging onto the moon heading into the sun." What a great line!

8. Claudio Dirani

very good indeed

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

What was the difference for you? To me they were almost identical.

10. Claudio Dirani

Hi Sean,
    Yeah, Expectant's quote got me puzzled as well but now as you asked, I'm looking forward to find out as well :)

11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I didn't think the studio version was crap, but the live performance (and the video screens) just suited the mood very well. It was perfectly placed in the setlist, and the band's performance was fantastic.

12. Here's the latest kids...
    original link:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles-Examiner~y2009m12d14-
    And text of article...
    McCartney-song-nominated-for-Critics-Choice-Award
    McCartney song nominated for 15th annual Critics' Choice Movie Award
    December 14, 6:50 AMBeatles ExaminerSteve Marinucci
    Previous
    Comment Print Email RSS Subscribe
    Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Beatles Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use.
    Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
    Terms of Use

The Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) has announced the nominees for the 15th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards. The winners will be announced at the Critics' Choice Movie Awards live at 9 p.m. Jan. 15, 2010.

Paul McCartney's song "(I Want To) Come Home," from the movie "Everybody's Fine," was nominated for Best Song. Also nominated in the category were "All Is Love" written by Karen O and Nick Zinner from "Where The Wild Things Are"; "Almost There" by Randy Newman from "The Princess And The Frog"; "Cinema Italiano" by Maury Yeston from "Nine" and "The Weary Kind" by T Bone Burnett and Ryan Bingham from "Crazy Heart."

This year's event will take place at the Hollywood Palladium and will be hosted by Kristin Chenoweth. For the third year in a row, VH1 will broadcast the show live on the network.

A Critics' Choice Movie Awards Web site is available at http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/critics_choice/_2010/. The site offers detailed information about the show and this year's nominees and gives users a chance to vote in each category. VH1 says that the site will soon launch a fashion section dedicated to the best red carpet looks of the year, as well as a real-time graph of Twitter activity surrounding the Critics' Choice Movie Awards.

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Maybe he's got a shot at Oscar, after all, 'cuz he just picked up a Golden Globe nomination for best song...

14. Claudio Dirani

Randy Newman's in?
    Yes. Forget it...little chance to win.

15. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

Randy Newman didn't get a GG nomination. U2 did, though, and will probably beat Paul since critics seem to like them a lot more than than they like Paul.

16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

17. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

I guess I liked the less polished sound on the live clip, and that it felt like a band song, not an elevator song. I haven't listened to either clip since my first reply, though, I can hardly remember them now.

18. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

nice to see the suzy and the red stripes drum skin hanging on the wall of the mill studios! :D

19. Claudio Dirani

20. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"1997"? Good fact-checking there! :sigh:

22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yeah, plus 1997 wasn't exactly "more than four decades". Probably a misprint (2007). Another source mentions: "[It's] just for the album soundtrack and not a return to EMI.".

23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I wonder if the single will come out on cd...

24. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, as part of the soundtrack album for "Everybody's Fine" :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.