New McCartney song a ballad & in upcoming film

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

This is a new, 2009 recording, not an outtake from "Chaos" or any other session.

Paul McCartney Oct. 2009:

"In my mind, what they wanted at the end of this film was a song from me, not so much a piece of the score. And that was like one of the questions I had to work out. Am I just going to go segue seamlessly from Dario's (Dario Marinelli) score? Or am I just going to let his score finish and I come in with something recognizably a song?," he said.

"So that was what I decided to do in the end. And I said to Dario, 'No, I want that to happen after Bob DeNiro's last line. (De Niro: "Your family is making it's way in the world. And you can be proud of the children and their achievements. And if you were going to ask me, I would have to say in all honesty, 'Everybody's fine. Everybody's fine.'") I'd like then my record to kind of unfold and then work its way to the end credits, which would be kind of the emotional end of the movie.

He says the song started out with a simple musical arrangement.

"Originally, I had this song as a very me and piano, little bit of bass and drums, acoustic guitar. And then I started to think it might be good with a bit of orchestration. So I talked to the director, who told me he'd been using Dario Marinelli. And I knew of Dario's work, so I thought it'd be nice to use him instead of get some other orchestrator. So Dario and I talked. I went to his house in Highbury. Offered to tidy his garden up for him. Just a little bonus. It still needs tidying up, by the way, Dario.

"And it was going very well and we decided basically to throw everything at it and just see what happened. And in fact, we threw too much at it. And so he did a demo on a synth. Ah, but then we thought, 'Uh, no, we've put too many notes or too much in it. So, it was like in 'Amadeus,' the film, where the king says, 'Too many notes, too many notes.' Yeah, ok.

It was then he thought they needed a change.

"So we had another meeting where I kind of expressed that to him. I said, 'I think we got to simplify it and what we do is we'll keep to kind of solo voices like a cello or like just a couple of violins before we go to the big orchestra so it kind of stays quite intimate and not too overblown. Just try to keep the simplicity of the song. Once we got that together after a couple of meetings, we thought we just got it right now. So we came here to Air London and this morning we did the session.

"And I think they played great, everyone played very well, all the soloists, and the ensemble. And so we're just about to mix it now. And yeah, it's been great."

3. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Although I think the song is beautiful, your argument lacks a solid basis to assume that only memorable songs gets the Oscar.

In my humble opinion, 90 per cent of the songs that win the award are quite weak and lackluster.

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I can't find the comment on his fragile voice here, but face the truth: A voice can't get younger. Let's respect the man, for a change.

5. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Recording details for "(I Want To) Come Home":

Written, produced and performed by Paul McCartney

Recorded by Eddie Klein, Keith Smith, Jamie Kirkham at Hog Hill Mill

Orchestral arrangement by Paul McCartney and Dario Marianelli
    Orchestra conducted by Dario Marianelli
    Orchestra recorded by Nick Wollage at Air Studios, London and assisted by Chris Barrett, Olga Fitzroy
    Mixed by Geoff Emerick at hog Hill Mill
    Assistant engineer: Adam Noble
    Mastered b Tim Young at Metropolis

It is indeed a brand new track!

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The return of Geoff Emerick---just as long as he doesn't make up stories about Paul. ;) Arnie

7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Can't remember right now, but was he involved in "Memory Almost Full" or in "Chaos & Creation" ?

As to Eddie Klein, isn't it funny that Paul's long-standing studio manager originally worked on what Phil Spector made of the "Let It Be" album ?

8. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Do we know when it was recorded?

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It had to be recently if he was inspired by a screening of the film.

10. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

A rough screening was held in Dec.'08 so it go back to the start of this year. Possibly recorded in the Spring.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Promo singles are out there ... and I want one!!! But why 3 identical versions of the song on one disc?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Arnold Grove

Well, there is the regular version; then there is the Tub Dub Re-Mix; and then there is the Playout version mixed by Arthur Baker... ;) I'm joking of course...

Seriously, one might be an instrumental version without vocals. Don't know what the third one could be. Arnie

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Maybe the autotuned version? :angel:

14. HA!

Actually, that has occurred before. "Love Like This" by Natasha Bedingfield has no autotune on the single version, but has autotune on LP. Similarly, OneRepublic's song "Apologize" had no autotune on the LP or on the regular single, but was drenched with it in the version remixed by Timbaland. Ryan Tedder and Natasha Bedingfield have really good voices, and the autotune was used just as a vocal effect.

15. Arnold Grove

Nice one! Arnie

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

18. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

For those of you who want the song it is available to download officially in MP3/FLAC from Topspin.

It is an Amex card exclusive 'bonus' when you order the new live New York album from a special web link.

Chris

19. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I don't have Amex, I couldn't find it on Topspin .... all I get is a version on Youtube someone has up :confused: Is this going to be released on Itunes or on CD sometime?

20. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I don't know, but the CD of this that I saw listed on Ebay was at $299.99 --- my first reaction was $100 for each song on the disc? NO WAY! Not even for Paul.

21. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

It's a very beautiful song.....:agree:

He's writing some gorgeous stuff of late the bloody genius!!

T.

22. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

Here's the link. If you don't have an Amex card (or have a friend/relative with one) then it's a no goer I'm afraid.

http://www.paulmccartney.com/goodeveningnewyorkcity/amex/

This website says that 'This track is classic Paul McCartney songwriting at its best, and it is a worldwide exclusive offer to American Express Cardmembers and will not be available with any other promotion.'
    so I don't know if that means this will not be made officially anywhere else or just not with any other promotion. Only time will tell if it appears on any related soundtrack album.

Chris

23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

great song!

24. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

It's grown on me. The first time I heard it sounded like some throwaway, but now i appreciate the lyrics and melody to the point where I relate to it. Great stuff Macca!

25. He performed it tonight in Hamburg! Along with "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" & "Magical Mystery Tour" & "And I Love Her"- all being the additions/differences from the U.S. set list...all else the same (didn't bother to add up what he might have dropped, if any)...
    Here's the link to the whole, first, report, complete with photos & set list...
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ed-report-with-set-list-spoilers-first-photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.