New Lynyrd Skynyrd album "Last of a Dyin’ Breed" , 5.1 & DVD news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

No problems on my Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player. Disc plays without clipping the intros or dropouts. Plays fine from the start or hitting the next button. Send an email to Oppo with your playback details. I had an issue where a Blu-Ray disc would not play past the loading screen, they got back to me in a timely fashion and their solution worked! :)

BTW - My Firmware is BDP83-59-0117

On another note, I ordered on the 24th of August, with a delivery date of the 30th. Mine arrived today in a cardboard sealer AND also in a bubble wrap mailer. Nice:righton: Disc is in great condition, unlike my Dylan AF Disc from Amazon - :realmad: - CD spindles cracked.

I'm giving Walmart a double thumbs up on this release! Thanks to the OP for the heads up. Listening to the surrond as I type and diggin' it mightily!

:goodie:

2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Gotta break down and shop at a place I avoid like the plague ...

3. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Just ordered this and really looking forward to hearing the DVD audio in 2 channel stereo. Hope I made the right decision. Didn't cost much though so...

4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Why stereo the idea is surrounded ?

I dont remember seeing a stereo track but then to be honest i was not looking

5. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Vengeful Revenant and 5.1 Fanbeast

Seems to be sold out at Wal Mart already. Or at least it's Out Of Stock online. Does that usually mean "gone for good?"

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I see there is a stereo track, now i have looked.

7. DrPhibes

Followup, I've hit every WalMart in the area, no dice. Bummer.

8. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I ordered my copy online and am listening to it now... The DVD audio is great! Now I'm jonesing for more hi fidelity Skynyrd. Any recommendations?

9. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Try the SHM-SACD of Second Helping. It's great.

10. DrPhibes

It's back in stock!

11. passion4music

passion4music Forum Resident

Thank You for the heads up! Got mine ordered.. was looking for this at a couple of Walmarts with no luck.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Listened to the DVD-A yesterday. Happy to report that on my Denon 3910 there were no dropouts and no clipped intros on any tracks.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Guess if I want to hear it that way, I have to have my son hook his PS3 up in my living room. :help: :shake:

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I haven't listened to the 2.0 on the DVD-A, but the 5.1 mix is quite enjoyable -- and I'm not a mega LS fan.

I do get the clipped beginnings on my Oppo BDP-80.

15. Same experience with my Pioneer DV 610AV. My only dvd-a that wont play. Im very frustrated. Ordered site to store after trying to find it in store. Returned first copy because dvd-a woudnt play. The second copy wouldnt play either. Is there anything that can be done to make it play? (aside from getting a new player).

16. DrPhibes

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

This DVD surround disc is really worth the cost of the set alone. Not surprised with King Elliot @ the boards. Shame it wasn't a full on 3 disc discography package. Would love to hear this on the Acura car audio system. Maybe it's time to change vehicles.

18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm listening to their latest Last Of A Dyin' Breed for the second time now. Thoughts:

The Downers
    ==========
    - They still insist on making a parody of themselves with cheesy, ridiculous lyrics that are supposed to perpetuate their image as a band for the blue-collar, working-man type people. Ronnie may have wrote in that vein from time to time, but his lyrics were never as forced and embarrassing as what this band writes sometimes. Nothing Comes Easy is cringeworthy stuff.
    - Another bunch of songs written with the collaboration of outside writers/producers. Have they forgotten how to write a song all by themselves? No wonder they sound so generic for the most part.
    - Some of the best songs are among the bonus tracks instead of in the album proper.
    - Where the hell is Gary? The last thread of the Skynyrd sound remaining was his guitar, and I hardly hear him most of the time. It didn't use to be that you had to pay close attention to pick him out, not even in the 90s. Pending more listens, I think he's only readily available on Sad Song, one of the bonus tracks.

The Uppers
    =========
    - Overall better than God + Guns. A few songs remind me ever so slightly of the old Skynyrd.
    - Great job by Johnny on the vocals. I'm impressed, he sings real good.
    - No one died during the making of this album.

I may change my mind on some of these points after I listen to it more times, but I don't expect any of my opinions will do an about turn.

Good tracks: Last Of A Dyin' Breed, Honey Hole, Poor Man's Dream, Do It Up Right, Sad Song.

Verdict: glad to have it. But they need someone to kick their a s s out of their comfort zone.

19. Myke

...and change the name of the band !!!! :rant: I hope when Johnny and Gary get up there, Ronnie gives them the worst beatings they ever got.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

More than any of the others, I miss Allen the most. His rhythm playing was something else :sigh:

21. Myke

Amen. One of the guys on Ed's site photoshopped a pic of Medlocke looking into a full-length mirror, and seeing Allen...subtitled something like " Denial," or some other rightfully sarcastic comment. :laugh:

I keep waiting for Judy & Gary to announce that their greed has finally found it's end, and that it's all officially over.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Interesting review. I know what you mean about the lyrics, they do sound forced. I usually don't even listen to lyrics anywho so it doesn't bother me too much. I've never been a fan of Johnny's voice but maybe I am getting used to it, doesn't bother me too much on this one. I do like the music though, pretty strong album IMO.

23. Myke

Tonight, that's me ! Clipped beginnings gone. Dropouts gone. All is right with the world.

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm with you in that I can tune out lyrics easily. In my case, growing up in a non-english speaking country had that effect. That said, I can appreciate a good lyric, and these guys are not providing on that front.

I've always liked Johnny as a singer and, like I said before, I think he's got better. Glad that it doesn't bother you much anymore. :thumbsup:

Yup, strong album. I heard it for the third time yesterday and I enjoyed it a little bit more. Seems to be growing on me. Definitely better than God+Guns, which only had one song I really liked, Floyd.

I've tried to pay more attention to see if I can find more of Gary, and I get the feeling that he's simply concentrating on slide fills more than the regular solos this time around. That would probably account for my finding him MIA. Man, I do miss his sound.

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I did the ship to store option at Walmart and it went very smoothly. Of course the guy there had no clue what it was but found it easily. Took about a week.

The surround mix is excellent, quite immersive, could have done a few more little tricks to swirl things around but Elliot played it straight. Sound is outstanding in stereo as well, not a lot of "air" in the recordings but that is just how they did it then. I also really like the song selection. Missing a surround of Sweet Home Alabama is a shame but there is always the stereo mix on the SACD. I haven't watched the videos yet, they are recorded in mono. For 12 bucks this is an awesome selection.

I also like how they included the standard album track of Free Bird instead of the live version on a lot of compilations. Free Bird in surround? Nuff said!

Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.