New Lynyrd Skynyrd album "Last of a Dyin’ Breed" , 5.1 & DVD news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Literally waiting on Fed Ex right now...

Hah ! They plug the new single over the picture of the Classic lineup, and Gary's the only one on the new single.

(L-R Retired, Dead, Dead, Retired, Gary, Dead, Dead)

2. Myke

Surround Disc :

VERY annoying how the opening second or two has been chopped off all the tracks. :realmad:
    There are a lot of dropouts.
    That Smell works much better in it's original 2 channel version.
    Simple Man has been remixed into an alternative version. :shake:

Bottom line : These songs have been a part of my DNA for damn near 40 years now, and for the first time since 2009, I have to say " no thanks," I'll stick with the stereo.

Specifically, our Sounds Of The South vinyl.

3. nightflight75

nightflight75 Forum Resident

I noticed the beginnings being chopped, but my player does that sometimes when skipping tracks... Not sure if I tried playing it straight through to see if the next track would start normally. Maybe that works?

Are there other dropouts besides the song beginnings?

Some of the songs do sound quite different but I like most of 'em.

4. Myke

Listened in it's entirety, they've all been desecrated.

Many more...Curtis Loew has a few.

Very different, and for me that doesn't work. May try again tomorrow.

5. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Today i received my ClassicRock Fanpack edition of the new album!

The music is good, the magazine is nice and the mastering isn't bad.......;)

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

It's back in stock on the Wal-Mart web site but it's listed as 2 discs now. Just the CD and the concert DVD. Is that a typo or has the window of opportunity for the 3 disc set been that incredibly small?

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Just a comment on the chopped introductions, my HDMI playback chain, Pioneer DV-48av to a Pioneer SC-25 receiver sounds fine. Not drop outs during track changes. YMMV.

8. Myke

You inspired me to recheck. My 2 DVD players, and my Blu ray all fail.

My son's PS3...same results as you ! :thumbsup:

Thanks !

SOMEONE WITH AN OPPO PLEASE CHIME IN...

9. nightflight75

My OPPO BDP-83 with analog outputs clips the intros. Some of the intros, anyway.

10. Myke

Bummer. I thought IT would be equal to a PS3 !?!? What is it with those things ??? They're so...flawless ! :laugh:

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Good question. But did the Wal Mart listing ever say it was 3 discs? In the listing it has all the correct songs listed. It appears that the songs for the DVD and the DVD-A are all shown on one disc. The picture that quattroatl posted clearly shows it is 3 discs. Also the UPC in the picture is the same one in the Wal Mart listing. So it appears that the listing is wrong and that it should show 3 discs not 2 discs.

Bill

12. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Listening now on my Oppo DV970HD and so far so good. I previewed all 5.1 tracks and there were no clipped beginnings. Played That Smell and Sat Nite Special in their entirety and there have been no dropouts, Gimme 3 Steps had no problems either. FWIW, I picked it up at my local Walmart today (only the second time I've ever been in one, as I disagree with their censoring of music back when CDs were king). Take note that the Walmart website claimed that my local store did not have it, but there were two in stock and I bought one. It's a cool, tasteful 5.1 mix. Recommended!

13. nightflight75

^
    I never heard any dropouts, just a few clipped beginnings. I agree on the mix!

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for chiming in, I am waiting for my copy.

Disappointed that there's another edition with two additional bonus tracks now :realmad:

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I was in a Walmart here in Vancouver, Wa. last night and they had about 8 copies of this set on the rack. This is after I assumed nobody had them in stock and ordered a copy from Walmart.com. a few days ago. It stinks to have to pass on the copy right in front of me and wait for the internet order to get here....:realmad:

17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

at least they had them we dont even have a Walmart just crappy ASDA and they dont stock overseas parent company stuff

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Hi Bill

It was listed as 3 discs until a few days ago.

19. No.9

No.9 Member

This release is indeed a 3 disc set; CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio 24/96 Stereo and I'd assume 24/48 in 5.1 surround. I did not experience any drop outs or clipped beginnings playing through my Oppo BDP 95. My focus was the DVD Audio disc in stereo. As mentioned prior....these recording are also part of my DNA and are known note for note from the original LP releases.The first thing I did notice is that these are remixes,... very subtle, but remixes. This releases is not perfect,..there is some minor brickwalling in a few of the more dynamic passages, a little tape machine and filter noise in the earlier recordings and some tape hiss present in the cuts from Street Survivors. All in all... a surprising release with clear instruments and vocals,... comparable to the dynamics of an analog LP recording. For any fans out there of the band, the $12.00 spent if only for the DVD Audio disc alone is worth it.....what a bargain!

20. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Exactly the same with the Alice Cooper WTMN2 and Slash fanpacks...:realmad:

21. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Just grabbed Southern Surroundings yesterday. Quite a collection for $12 measly bucks! I agree with everyone here - excellent 5.1 sound! I suggest that you run out and grab your own...!

22. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Interesting. I have a DV-48AV using HDMI to a Denon AVR-2809CI and this is the only dvd-a I own this player won't play.

I get the menu and can look at the photos or credits but when selecting either the stereo or surround mixes and attempting to play any track the player displays the track number and just 'hangs'.

Good thing I've got a pc and foobar with the dvd-a plugin using waspi audio to my Denon which works fine.

23. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Ordered... Just for the DVD-A.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Go buy it anyhow. Then when your internet purchase arrives, take that one back to the store and exchange it :)

25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep! That's what I do too when I find a copy of something I want soon after ordering it from some place else, especially if the price is even cheaper!

(I save the price stickers and peel them off and put it on the other one if I purchased from different retailers. I just don't open the one I take back!)

Also, for Walmart purchases and returns, their return policy is one of the most lenient. They don't require a receipt if the price is less than $25 and still has the Walmart price sticker on it (that may be optional too, since many gift givers remove the price sticker before gifting.)

Anyway, I bought Southern Surroundings the other day (my Walmart had like 4 copies on the shelf) and when I got it home and opened it, one of the sleeves on the inside of cardboard digi-sleeve had a huge tear by one of the fold seams (You couldn't see it until it was opened.) So, the next time I'm out that way by my Wal-Mart, I am going to exchange it for another one.

Even though the DVD-Video was recorded in mono, I enjoyed it as I never saw any of that footage before.

The DVD-Audio, in 5.1, sounded nice too and I didn't notice any dropouts.

Definitely worth $11.88 for the CD and 2 DVDs. Only disappointment, which is very minor, was that there was no booklet. Though, all the relevant notes are printed on the sleeves (inside and outside,) along with plenty of photos. And since I didn't own the previous issue of the CD from 2000 (All-Time Greatest Hits,) the CD compilation is "new" to me. Though, people who already own that CD compilation may feel cheated, especially if they don't care for the DVDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.