New Harbeth compact 7's... Quite good

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

...after pulling his teeth. If he had said that at the beginning, there would be no problem.

In fact, I was the one who said it first. If you notice carefully, I've been giving Gingerly all the answers, and he's been using them to explain himself.

2. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I said that I was offered a $500 discount. I fail to see how that has anything to do with you or your business. It was between myself and a dealer in a personal business transaction. You now agree that this discount is entirely possible, or even likely. How does that make me capricious, or untruthful?

In a 45 to 60 minute radius, there ARE that many. It's not a claim. You don't even know where I live precisely, you simply assume, as you have in so many of your comments, an answer that gives you something to defame me with.

You said:

I said:

You now agree that my statement is correct. YOU are the one arguing here. How could it be otherwise when it is quite clear that you agree with my statement.

I understand that there ARE people from the industry. I have worked in the industry too. If I WAS spreading nonsense, it would be one thing, but you now agree that I am not, as I have reminded you repeatedly. It looks increasingly like YOU are the one who continues to be apoplectic and interested in insult. My wife has nothing to do with this, though I doubt you would present much a challenge in a debate with her.

I'm happy to accept your apology for attacking me pointlessly, in the vacuum of any necessary facts. Next steps: You should go for a walk and get some fresh air or something.

BTW: I spent a few minutes enjoying your blog - it looks interesting - but cigars are icky.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

DEALER: I'm sorry sir, that particular promotion has ended. But I can help you a little on the stands, or cables or whatever.

End of ****ing problem.

Quit making a big deal out if nothing. You weren't there. You do not know what they told this guy.

4. vinyl anachronist

You challenged my statement and said you were offered a $500 discount. You were asked follow-up questions that would have clarified your claim, and you didn't answer until your credibility was in question. It wasn't that you were busy drinking with your wife--you were responding to the thread during that time. You were being evasive.

It does affect me and my business, in ways that you don't know.

I've looked at the dealer list on the US distributor's website, and the only way there are are five dealers in a one-hour radius from Santa Cruz is if you're traveling by plane.

I haven't insulted you or your wife once. You brought her into this as a way to try to insult me, I didn't.

Everytime you tell someone to "get a life," or "go for a walk and get some fresh air," it's an ad hominem attack that weakens your position. No one's buying it. My life at this point is public, and no one I know thinks I need to get a life. You, on the other hand, are anonymous and can say whatever you want and not be held accountable.

The simple fact is that there would have been no argument between us if you had been more forthcoming from the beginning. It was only after I held your feet to the fire that we discovered that your experiences with Harbeth were not contrary to my statement at all.

5. vinyl anachronist

Do you remember when I said that what happens between the dealer and the customer is their business and no on else's? Are you even paying attention?

6. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I say he was unfairly being harassed and that's my opinion as a casual observer which I am entitled to thank you very much. It is things like this that have me spending less and less time here on this forum as of late, and pretty soon probably not at all. Nothing he said seems implausible to me.

7. vinyl anachronist

Unfairly harrassed? Really? He made statements that were contrary to the experiences of others, and when questioned on it he started changing his story. When that didn't work, he started in with the personal attacks. Are you viewing this forum through some translation module that changes the meaning? It's all pretty obvious to me.

8. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

You are uncomfortably personal and obsessive with my coming and goings. I had some time in the earlier part of the day, and was not on the internet yesterday afternoon. I was busy at work. Then I went home. I have better things to do with my evenings than play "Hunt for Red October" with some stranger on the internet.

Sounds fascinating, but you really are becoming tiresome.

I'm sorry you are having trouble using the computer. Maybe if you practice more tonight they will turn up.

Uh... sure. Whatever floats your boat.

Honestly, those are entreaties to you to seek a more healthy obsession. I think it's the people you DON'T know who might be thinking that other pursuits might be good for you, at this point. We HAVE to stop meeting like this. Really.

There IS no argument. You never held my "feet to the fire" - you don't have that power. I only do anything here because it's interesting to me. I don't HAVE to please you... or even argue with you.

I think everyone sees what is going on here, and that it doesn't need any further explanation from me - or you. I don't think the term dull even begins to cover what this conversation is now. I think this thread has been side-tracked enough, and for my part in that I apologize. If you feel like arguing with me more, feel free to PM me, but if it's still dull, don't expect any replies. I'm going out to get some fresh air. :)

As for Harbeth speakers, I think they are great, but they weren't ultimately my cup of tea. You will find that most dealers will give you a discount on their products if you are in their shop. It's ALWAYS been that way, at least since the early 90's when I was involved in the trade.

Nunquam persolvo plenus pretium!

dhoffa85 likes this.
  9. vinyl anachronist

You know what's tiresome? Ad hominem attacks, especially ones that really don't make sense.

Bye bye.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's interesting that some see this as a badge of shopping skills, and want to announce it to all and sundry.

11. Metralla

I don't think you really care - it's an argument ploy that's often used here, as was pointed out.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  12. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Congrats.

I would really like to have a pair one day - maybe the HL5 - i tend to like big speakers :)

It's amazing what a good pair of speakers will do for your music.

IanL and Gordon Johnson like this.
  13. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

maybe some stuff was deleted by moderators? I don't know looked to me like he said he was offered a discount and people jumped all over him for it. It seemed pretty clear cut to me but maybe I am missing something. In the end i don't really care it just didn't like that fact that people seemed to be harassing this guy and I could find no legitimate reason why.

gingerly likes this.
  14. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Gentlemen! This is very unseemly to be arguing about such a dignified monitor as the Harbeths. Let the coarse-featured peasants fight over their Paradigms and Def Techs and what-not... Harbeth deserve a more refined and civil discussion.

"There's no fighting in the war room!" :D

15. vinyl anachronist

Nothing has been deleted by the Gorts...yet. It is what it is. He was asked several times which model because $500 off of a pair of 40.1s is not significant, but $500 on a pair of P3-ESRs or even the Compact 7-ES3--the subject of this thread--would be big enough to raise questions about the dealer. His comment was a challenge to my statement about Harbeths generally not being discounted at all because there's currently a waiting list. We just wanted clarification since HE was the one challenging what I said. In addition, he clearly wasn't telling the truth when he said there were five or six dealers in his area; if there was, it suggests that someone unauthorized is selling Harbeths in his area. As it turned out, he basically confirmed what I said but not before engaging in personal attacks.

Gingerly was the one who resorted to name-calling. I'm still trying to figure out what I said that was so offensive other than questioning his statements. Gingerly just doesn't like to called out publicly for making erroneous statements, which is his problem and not mine. He's just another anonymous guy on the Internet saying things that aren't true, and I have a right to object without it becoming a big deal.

16. vinyl anachronist

Another way to look at it: people who insist on getting discounts often don't wind up with what they really want. Whether you get a discount or not is arbitrary--what is it worth to you to have something you really want?

If there is a waiting list for a product, what incentive is there to discount? Someone else will come along and pay full price. That said, one of my dealers also carries Harbeth, and he always has two or three pairs in his showroom. He'd probably offer a discount on those pairs because they've been used as demos. He's probably able to offer the discount because he bought them at a discount too--for demo purposes. But as far as special orders and sealed box merchandise go, it's not as likely unless the dealer needs some quick cash because sales are low. As we all know, that's common in this economy. But it can cost him the line.

But the idea that "all dealers" are giving set discounts on Harbeth...well, it's less than believable. I would have been inclined to believe Gingerly if he hadn't spouted so much misinformation, like the number of dealers in his area.

17. Metralla

sounds correct.

18. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I agree. It can change your whole perspective on music.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

By the way, I bought a pair of P3ESR at an authorized dealer and I did get a discount. Guess you need to ask.

jon9091, Metralla and alanb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.