New Harbeth compact 7's... Quite good

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Gingerly has now been asked four times about which model has been discounted.

2. vinyl anachronist

The Analog Room in San Jose looks like the closest. Tone of Music in San Francisco would be the other.

3. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Yes, and STILL wondering if anyone is interested in which model. Out with it already, or lose credibility.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks - I haven't been down there for a while.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe he's a little confused, and it's 500 bucks off a pair of Harmon Kardon speakers.
    Did they look really nice or were they made of plastic?

6. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Geeze - were you really pining for my answer at 7pm? Have you considered getting a life? Speaking for myself, I was sat in my listening room with the HD version of Shorter's "Speak No Evil" and a glass of Lodi zinfandel with my beautiful wife. I can't say that you came up in conversation.

The model was the SHL5. I went to a few of the mentioned dealers, and a couple more, mostly because they also carried other lines under consideration. I consider SF/Berkeley, which is about 45min. away part of my "area", being that my personal audio search needed a larger net to be cast. I hope that's not to mystifying to understand.

I can't imagine why I would be hanging on to any "credibility" you feel your opinion or judgement bestows. All I can see is some sad sack who needs to get out more.

What's with the dogpile? Was I rude to you some how? The ones I was most fond of were in wenge or tiger ebony. Feel free to look those up to see what they look like. I'll just add, finally, that I NEVER pay full price for anything, except for utilities, possibly. It would be foolish and entirely unnecessary.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  7. vinyl anachronist

Typical Internet obfuscations, with you changing your story as you went and then capping it off with defensive posturing about how wonderful your life is and that you're just too busy to back up your dubious claims. That's why there was a dogpile. Again, we're talking about 10% dicounts, as I said, which are not out of the norm. And that was undoubtedly a demo pair--you would not have received $500 off if you made a special order and waited for it like everyone else. Plus, it's the SHL5, the oldest speaker in the line--it's not moving like the newer versions such as the 30.1.

If you had not been so evasive during the course of this exchange, you might have been able to retain your credibility. Next time, just back up what you say without the song-and-dance.

8. I've been lurking on this thread. VA has been teaching me some nice audio business insights at an apropo time in my life. Ahhh, brick and mortar audio stores, deals on high-end speakers, fine wine, leisure time with a trophy wife, social status criticisms; this thread is getting good! What is missing? I know! Krout cars and sonic aptitude. Now carry on. :winkgrin:

alanb likes this.
  9. gingerly

What obfuscations? What dubious claims? None were present.

So my claim WASN'T dubious?

You SHOULD doubt. You weren't present. They were, in fact, a boxed pair that happened to be in a finish I was interested in. A discount would also be available for the Compact 7ES and the 30.1 I was eying. Probably at least something non-dubious, like +/- 10%.

I don't seek, or require any credibility from you. I can see that you enjoy arguing on the internet. What can I say, at home I don't bother looking at it - it's not that interesting to me. Why are you still wasting your time arguing with me when you now agree that the discount is reasonable?

I hope you feel like you "won". From here, your only obvious accomplishment is in managing to look like a prick by attempting to belittle someone who was merely sharing their personal experience on a typically free and friendly forum. Congratulations.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  10. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

"Sad sack", lol. Ever consider decaf? I was never offered Harbeth's on discount the few times I negotiated for them (unless they were demos), and I never see them discounted on the net. That forms my impression of the Harbeth brand in the marketplace.

The "credibility" comment was not intended for you to "care" or "hang on", or get you worked up enough to come up with insults (I won't offer any back). I personally don't find claims credible/beleive-able/trustworthy when someone repeatedly appears to avoid answering a question, or witholds details. There we go, SHL-5's - didn't personally believe you until you provided the information. Sounds like dealers in your area discount the Harbeth line to the tune of 10% (depending on how high 10% or more is). Not enough to make me run out and shop for 40.1's, but a dealer discount on Harbeths nonetheless.

11. gingerly

Well.... the wine was under $10... and I'd call my wife a prize, not a trophy. :D

alanb, dhoffa85 and morinix like this.
  12. Did ya' pay full tilt for the Lodi zinfandel? and the wife, diamond or cubic zirconia?

Edit OOPS! the wine has been answered:righton:

13. gingerly

I apologize if you thought I was replying to you. No offense meant. None of my comments were leveled at you.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  14. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

i am just going to continue to like everything gingerly says because he is totally being attacked here for no good reason. too bad there is no dislike button!

alanb likes this.
  15. gingerly

I'm glad it's not just me. I appreciate that. :)

morinix, alanb and dhoffa85 like this.
  16. vinyl anachronist

The issue isn't about arguing on the Internet. It's about making capricious statements online that can affect people's businesses. You started the argument by challenging ME on my statements about pricing strategies, and right off the bat you said things that just weren't true, things that could affect a dealer's bottom line.

You claimed there were five to six dealers in your area who universally offered discounts--there are only two dealers in your area. You were asked four times to state the model in question in order to determine whether the dealers were offering deep discounts that were damaging to the brand, or if they were offering the smaller discounts that are within guidelines. The latter turned out to be the case, which means you had no real excuse to challenge my statement in the first place. You were just arguing on the Internet.

Now you're clearly upset and indignant and you're making it personal. Maybe those type of debating skills work with your allegedly beautiful wife, but not here. This is a forum full of industry people, and we're defensive when nonsense gets spread on the Internet. If you're going to make it up as you go along, prepare to be called on your BS without throwing a temper tantrum.

17. jon9091

Uhhh...who's making it personal?

18. vinyl anachronist

There is no dislike button, but there is a report button--which is used for people who call other people "sad sacks" and "pricks" and such. Gingerly wasn't being attacked, he was asked to clarify his provocative statements. He then attacked those who doubted the veracity of what he said. And, as you said, you LIKE that.

If Gingerly had said that a dealer had offered him $500 off a pair of SHL5s--which is what happened, according to him--no one would have doubted him. That's perfectly reasonable. But he had to embellish and exaggerate, and his statement drifted into the realm of the unbelievable. That's because he likes to argue on the Internet. He likes to say whatever he wants because he's anonymous--check out his profile, or lack thereof--and he doesn't have to be accountable. He likes to call people names when they don't believe him.

Again, you LIKE that. Hmmmm.

19. But he went to a struggling brick and mortar stereo store, got a discount. Who knows? now because of this, the store may have to board up the windows and close. All because he didn't pay full tilt and order the current model with no price haggling. ;)

dhoffa85 and gingerly like this.
  20. jon9091

Not at all. My apologies. I was just kidding around. This is getting out of hand....like these guys work for the Feds or something. Who gives a sh!t what they think.

21. vinyl anachronist

Not me. What did I say that was personal?

Since Gingerly was caught lying more than once, I find it hard to believe anything he claims. That's not personal, just a fact.

22. jon9091

The "allegedly beautiful wife" thing....not cool. That's very personal.

23. alanb

alanb Senior Member

My experience with dealers is that they will not offer deals on the internet or over the phone - BUT if you are standing in front of them and actually talking to them and showing real interest in something - then a deal might be possible.

Which is what Mr. Gingerly said he did.

gingerly likes this.
  24. vinyl anachronist

CUSTOMER: Hi, I'd like to buy some Harbeths, and I want a big discount.
    DEALER: That's fine, but I can't afford to offer big discounts on Harbeth. I might be able to give you a good deal on the stands.
    CUSTOMER: No! I read on the Steve Hoffman Forum that all Harbeth dealers offer big discounts.
    DEALER: Um, could you tell me which dealers are offering big discounts on Harbeths?
    CUSTOMER: Yeah, there's five or six dealers in the Santa Cruz area, and they all offer $500 off.
    DEALER: There's only two dealers in the Bay Area.
    CUSTOMER: No, I read it on the Internet! All dealers! Big discounts!
    DEALER: Well, I might be able to take 10% off this demo pair.
    CUSTOMER: No. I want a new pair in a custom finish, and I want a big discount.
    DEALER: I don't think I can do this, sir.
    CUSTOMER: Fine! I'm going to start a thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum telling everyone how rude you were to me, and that no one should ever buy from you!

That's the real problem here, and why we audiophiles should give a sh!t.

25. vinyl anachronist

It would have been personal if I had said she wasn't beautiful. What I said is that I don't believe anything he says at this point--based on his erroneous posts. You can drop this now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.