NEW! Grateful Dead - Europe 72 - VOLUME 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Yeah, in the interview I linked to above Lemieux says that one of the reasons why the 5/7 Dark Star was picked for Vol. 2 is that it's the only one of the tour that didn't go into either Sugar Magnolia or Morning Dew. And the version of The Other One from the same show is the only one of the tour that didn't come out of Truckin'.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Dark Star followed by The Other One is a rare pairing and the two of them combined on 5/7 are longer than that Rotterdam Dark Star, about 51 minutes.

I listened to 5/7 from an unofficial source recently. There are tech problems with Jerry and Bob's guitars because this was an outdoor gig in bad weather but needless to say, there is still some amazing improv.

(BTW the Sugar Mag on E72 is from Paris, not Rotterdam.)

3. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Right, but I think the previous poster was referring to the policy that Europe '72 Volume 2 not repeat any of the songs that were on the original Europe '72 triple LP. To include the Rotterdam "Dark Star" would require fading it out or cutting it off before it moved into "Sugar Magnolia," since SM was included on the first E '72, albeit in a version from a different show.

4. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not Fade Away>Going Down the Road>Not Fade Away has great promise,as sometimes during the early 70's they would blend into the jam some subtle subterranean other "songs" like Spanish Jam, even a little I Know You Rider - CAN'T WAIT!

5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Indeed, and I would have been one of those late to the party on this release. As I made a decision long ago that I didn't need/want the humongo box, I also stopped reading that 37 page thread related to the box.

But I'll be getting this release...thanks to the OP for starting this thread! :righton:

6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Normally it would either be Dark Star or The Other One as the big jam tune of the night so this is somewhat unusual. Pretty good copies of 5-7-72 circulate but this should be really nice.

7. Paperback Writer

The Dark Star> The other One is looming as EPIC!

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

pre ordered from Amazon!

9. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a promo or advanced copy?

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I just ordered this from Amazon along with the AF Heart GH, all for $26 shipped. :cheers:

12. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I pre-ordered through Amazon along with the Miles in Europe 1967 Bootleg Series Vol. 1 CD/DVD set. So psyched!

13. Paperback Writer

I guess no "Bonus Disc" with this order on The Grateful Dead site, like they sometimes had with their previous releases. Right?

reddyempower likes this.
  14. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Right. While they may or may not do bonus discs for primarily website-only releases, I'm pretty sure the policy has been no bonus disc for "regular" retail releases.

15. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Thanks for the good idea, Mike. I just placed the same order. :righton:

Chris

16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i got a copy in the mail today....the slim cardboard packaging is very disappointing....tri-panel, oddly done, one panel seems upside down, i assume that was intentiona....does come with a separate booklet...sounds really good...

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the E72 three LP set the panel with the ice cream kid is upside down compared to the panel with the leg stepping over a globe (and the inside panel listing the song titles). Presumably they are referencing that.

18. JA Fant

Thanks! DJ WILBUR.

19. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Based in internet representations, I wasn't super impressed with the illustration of the ice cream kid with the "evidence" cone. (Why are his gums black!?)

I love the illustration with the motorcycle however.

20. JA Fant

Post some pics guys!

21. Paperback Writer

Looking forward to the music in this 2 CD set, this is the place to post your reviews, impressions of the 2 CD Europe 72 set.
    (For the big 60 CD box set, go to Rbbert's thread)

Still waiting on mine.

22. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

FWIW, My local Best Buy had this in store for $9.99.

23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Amazon had it for 9.99 also. I snatched a copy. I am waiting for it with Super Saver Shipping.

24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

UK release seems to be delayed to 3 Oct, although amazon has the digital download available already.

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. Hmmm.....guess I may have to check my local BB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.