New definitive 45RPM BLUE NOTE JAZZ reissue series mastered by Kevin G. & Steve H.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

This is very exciting. The Blue Note titles have had such a strong colletor interest it's great to see new audiphile versions priced within reach.

Will this have any impact on the collector's market for originals?

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I doubt it. They will still be the originals, a part of music history and a great rarity.

3. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

Out to Lunch gets my vote.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Classic Records has already done a ton of Blue Note issues. So it will be interesting to see a different perspective on the catalog. I wonder how many will be repeated in this series?

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I know this may be a bit subjective and a huge general question.

But for someone who is still just getting to know jazz what are considered the biggest titles in the Blue Note jazz catalogue?

I am guessing Soul Station is a biggy. Can we narrow it down to a top 10 or 15 list?

If i need to start a separate thread for this please let me know.

6. alanb

alanb Senior Member

That Sounds like a good idea --NEW THREAD- your TOP 10 Blue Note albums.

P.S. Sorry Steve about the seperate info on AP 45's (which is now gone)- didn't mean to thread crap --just showing how these things quickly go OOP and U P in price:hide:

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Mine too, along with Leapin' and Lopin' (thanks sungsingla).

8. zoeinterloper

zoeinterloper New Member

Blue Note 45RPM Reissues sales

Well, at about 5:04PM this evening Music Direct made the offer to start taking pre-orders on the Blue Note 45RPM Reissues. Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc seem to be left out in the cold so far. Wonder if this means MD will have the lowest numbers?! Since no one else has said anything... it looks like MD has the jump. Has anyone else seen or heard anything?

Happy Listening!

9. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Personally i do not think it matters.
    How do you know 100 of the press is going to get put in a sleeve and the #100 sticker on it?

If it's a press of 1000 as AP 45's were- then that's low any way- to me.
    This i would have thought would be 5 or 6000.
    Does number 199 sound better than 5999. ?

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I might have to lower the prices on my original Blue Note LPs. These look like serious sellers.

11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm glad I'm around for this series at the outset. I came in years late on the AP series and missed a few favorites which are now untouchable price-wise. I know I'll get the ones I want this time!

I'm also glad they seem to be doing two per month, which makes them more affordable. If there are 63 titles planned so far, though, that means we're gonna be here for a while. :)

12. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Another vote for Out To Lunch, possibly my favorite (definitely top 5) jazz album of all time.

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

The website says four per month (see Release Schedule) so that is a little less than a year and a half.

14. Voltron

Voltron Member

Just a guess, but I would think those ordering direct from Music Matters should expect to have the lowest numbers. Also, if Music Matters has not quite set up their page and has not started assigning sequential numbers as Ron's email suggests, then it would seem that MD, AS and ED will just be taking a request for a number and not actually assigning them.

Unless you are trying to get a certain special number, what does it matter anyway? Just get in while the gettin' is good. :righton:

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great news. I just wonder if "63 titles" associates with the famous street number of the BN office.;)

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Putting that into perspective for me, that's a year and a half of brown bagging it.

I'm sure it will be worth it. :agree:

17. Solaris

Whoops, didn't read that, thanks! :wave:

18. Solaris

Did you cast your vote for it in our top five jazz album thread. :)

19. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Just did!

20. zoeinterloper

zoeinterloper New Member

lowest numbers?!

"Music Matters should expect to have the lowest numbers" Good point, I missed Steve's comment and only read MM saying their exclusive dealers were to be MD, AS, and ED. Thanks

But on the point of what matters in a pressing... I'm sure all will be just fine yet I have many promo white label issues that sound markedly better than supposed first pressings of a given title. How does anyone know what a hot stamper is in a particular press run is anybodies best guess.

I have very early numbers in the Fantasy 45RPM series and have had to request replacements for three records out of almost two hundred now (due to poor RTI handling) and can honestly say that we can hear no appreciable difference what so ever in the replacements. So there you go. Who knows. And just to clear the record, I find RTI pressings of these Fantasy reproductions to be the finest vinyl of all time in my collection. Bravo!

Happy Listening!

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Don't get hung up on low numbers; this is about the music and the sound!

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

:righton:

23. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

As far as low numbers being issued.......fact is that the number on that jacket absolutely does not signify as to when that copy came off the stamper......that is not the case at all. A low number is well.......just that, a low number. Sure early pressings can have their merrits sonically and that is factual. But as far as "numbers" go, please don't be under the misconception that if you have "001" that that was the first record pressed.....it's just not the case.

24. zoeinterloper

zoeinterloper New Member

what may matter

I'm not... it's cool, it's only my hard earned money at fifty a pop not yours and as much as I'm all about the music (not equipment, money, or pressing numbers) to suggest it doesn't matter is just silly to me. I'm very happy that the Blue Note catalog is being offered in the 45RPM format under your fine care as I said, the Fantasy 45RPM issues are outstanding IMHO! I realize this is your platform and so I have no intentions of raining on your parade. I was just remarking to someone suggesting seemingly that numbers don't matter to them and that my concern equally may not matter. Please understand that I'm more into it for the music than anything, this was just a ancillary issue I thought was worth mentioning.

Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. Albert Einstein

Happy Listening!

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Exactly, as the records are put in boxes, and then those boxes are stacked, when the numbers are done, it happens in reverse. You could be #00001, and have the very last disc to come off the run for that day, or even week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.