New definitive 45RPM BLUE NOTE JAZZ reissue series mastered by Kevin G. & Steve H.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

True, but Steve can pass along titles mentioned a lot in this and other threads and let the Music Matters folks know that, maybe they should consider those titles.

It can't hurt to put out what we'd like to see I reckon.

I just have to budget wisely so I can get these AND a bunch of the WB vinyl Steve's doing.

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I dont know if this comes into play also but this is something to consider in these matters perhaps :

Concerning the OJC reissues from :

Anyway, here are some of my favorites from all the Fantasy labels that have GREAT sound quality for the old DCC Gold CD series. PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME WONDERFUL OJC's DID NOT MAKE THIS LIST DO TO SOUND QUALITY ISSUES. This list is about good sound as it is about good music. Sorry, that's just the way I compiled it. There are many more, but I haven't the time right now.

The whole thread and Steve's full qoute from that is post #7 :

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=124118&highlight=jazz

I dont know if sound quality is an issue in determining choices for the Blue Notes also. But possibly? So we have to consider that in understanding the logic that goes behind the choices here also. Unless I am way off here.

I am listening to bits and pieces of " Us Three" ~ Horace Parlan. I really like this . And "Soul Station" became an immediate favorite after hearing it. :) .Actually, I like all of these. Hard Bop is something has had to grow slowly on me.The cool thing to me is that I bet that growth will be in leaps and bounds when I here these with this type of sound quality.I firmly believe that sound quality effects my acceptance factor.

I dont know, but I am guessing it would be hard to go wrong with Blue Note material.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

a comment on the vinyl asylum forum speculated that the reason these are going to be 45 rpm releases is that rights could not be obtained for 33 1/3. i find that hard to believe, but would like to know if that has anything to do with the format.

by the way, i'm looking forward to these releases big time.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Totally not true! :sigh: Just the best speed for the job.:agree:

5. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

That is my understanding, when Chad told me about these coming, he also asked if I was interested in being on the list to receive these.....of course I said YES! :D

6. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

What would be REALLY cool is if these were released in 45 AND 33 (in the same package or separate packages). Yes, 45 sounds better but, to me, I like to hear each Side without flipping over. Perhaps, these Sides are so short to begin with (say 15 minutes or less) that they will each fit on one Side of a 45. Otherwise, I would sacrifice a bit on the sonic side to get each side on one side.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Wow...this series looks great!!! :thumbsup:

I've been getting into more and more jazz in the last couple of years. The Art Blakey is definitely going to be on my long list, of titles to get! :agree:

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's what i thought, but just wanted to confirm before i left my not so nice reply...:realmad:

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Great news!!! :goodie:

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It sounds fantastic. I hope they keep the prices the same as the AP 45 series, and not go any higher.

11. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Awesome! Time to start saving!

I have this little patch of land, anyone know if I will make more $$$ growing marijuana or poppies? :D ;)

12. doubledeepgroove

doubledeepgroove New Member

All of us know and love Kevin and Steve, and some of us know Joe Harley for his uncompromising and dedicated pursuit for the truth in music either in the recordings he has produced or his work with Audioquest, but most of us with the exception of many Japanese music lovers and collectors (and a few lucky ones in the USA) don't know Ron Rambach who is the most fanatical and particular perfectionist I have ever met.

The level of Heart and Soul I know these four guys will pour into the Definitive 45RPM Blue Note Jazz reissues will be one the the best things to even happen to Jazz.

Finally, "The Finest in BLUE NOTE Jazz," with Full Dynamic Range, NO Compression, and NO Loss of Life from a mono 50/50 stereo blend! Not only will the sound quality be considerably better than the original pressings but the new Hi-Definition covers will be worthy of The Museum of Modern Art. I'm sure their motto will hold true:

You Listen, You Look, You're There...

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

These will be offered in numbered series because I already have a number.

Steve, any idea how many per month will be issued?

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

How? from who?

15. I know Ron, and he is definitely anal when it comes to Jazz and audio.
    I'm actually quite surprised that he's involved on this project; wouldn't this effect his business...

16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I have missed a lot of limited editions because my turntable set-up (and at times the lack of one) has not been up to par. But of course as a collector, did I think to put them on the side "for future listening"? No. Not sure if I'll be able to afford this series, but I will be selective and pick the best. Which, for Blue Note, is almost each release.

I hope titles from the late 60's/early 70's will be part of the series, such as Alligator Boogaloo, but I will take what comes my way.

17. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

It will be a bit like Alton Brown's Feasting On Asphalt, where he visits a farm where people can pick asparagus and pay with the honor system. A field of weed, with a box on the side, saying "donate what you like". Not sure who would leave anything, but if it's enough to pay for these, so be it.:D

18. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

Just got an email from MusicDirect and they have the prices at $49.99 each.

Thought y'all like to know.

19. Voltron

Voltron Member

This is a truly exciting announcement Steve! I gotta call Acoustic Sounds and see if they really are handing out numbers for numbered series sets. Let us know what you know about titles when you know you can let us know! :winkgrin:

20. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

I just called them, and they said they weren't doing this yet.

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I emailed them about a subscription and number service, and this is what they wrote:

How did you score that deal?

22. Steve Hoffman

I just received this note from Ron at MUSIC MATTERS, LTD.

Hi Steve,
    We are going to number them of course, and will be assigning sequential numbers as we receive those commitments to order the entire series directly through Music Matter's jazz.com secure order page, coming soon!

My best Ron

23. Steve Hoffman

Hey guys,

Can we keep this thread about BLUE NOTE albums, please?

You can start a new thread regarding the AP 45 RPM titles if you wish, thanks.

24. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I dunno. Maybe I was misinformed.

25. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Do we know yet how many copies of each title will be pressed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.