New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yeah it looks like someones block and tackle. :shh:

2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Only had time to do some quick sampling from disc 2 - more later tonight. First off, the new stereo mix of "Darlin'" sounds great - love it! I was also very impressed with the sound of the "Surf's Up" and "Sunflower" tracks -tempts me to pick up those CDs too but that'll have to wait. I also really like the single version of "Isn't it Time". "I Can Hear Music" and "This Whole World" are really nice as well.

Didn't think I'd like the non-chronological order but it's okay.

I like the sound of what I've heard so far from disc 2. Everything is nice and crisp and not too loud - not overly compressed.

I think this set is a really nice sample and if you don't want to purchase multiple CDs again it's a good place to get a nice selection of songs.

:righton:

3. apple-richard

There's only a handful of bands that can put out a 50 song Greatest Hits and have every song belong. :)

4. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

5. Does it seem likely that the twelve titles that are being issued on Tuesday will be bundled next year into a boxed set with the remaining ten albums or so - along with, perhaps, two additional discs worth of rarities that have been issued over the years as bonus tracks? The Wild Honey album most likely has been already remixed and remastered, given the preview tracks on the 50th compilation.

The posibility of a Complete Beach Boys box has been limiting me just to take on the SS and maybe the Party reissues for now.

Any thoughts?

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I'd say any of the releases that feature the original mono mixes, where they hadn't been available on CD before, are essential. But that's just me. The stereo remixes are hit and miss, with Smiley Smile and Summer Days (in my opinion) being the best of the bunch.

7. apple-richard

Is Pet Sounds part of this? I couldn't find a 2012 version on Amazon or Best Buy.

8. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

9. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Got five of the new ones. Listened to Pet Sounds today and it sounded better than my older copy!

10. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

I couldn't find it or 50 Big Ones at Best Buy, but PS is on Amazon for $14.56

11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Agree completely. I would say all of the following are absolutely essential purchases...

Today!
    Summer Days
    Sunflower
    Surf's Up

Unfortunately, Pet Sounds (mono) is a mess. Why Linett continues to want to use tacked on remixed intro's I don't know. Stick with the DCC, the 2001 two-fer or the PSS mono. Any of them are more pleasing to listen to.

I can't speak to how 50 Big Ones sounds, haven't heard it.

12. apple-richard

13. MrDude

MrDude New Member

How essential is the 50 big ones set? I'm not bothered about new stereo mixes, that said has the set got anything mono that were on CD before?

14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Hearing nothing, I just listened to my 2000 remaster of Surfer Girl.
    My conclusion: Zodiac must love those filler instrumentals with lead organ and obvious Murry schlock like The Surfer Moon. No wonder they recycled some of the decent tracks for the Little Deuce Coupe album within a month.
    I'll respectfully pass.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

surprised amazon is still charging over $14 for each of the two-fers.

that doesn't seem likely at all because a new box set to feature rarities is already in the works and there are more than 10 albums left. many more if you count live and things like Christmas, Stack-o-Tracks, etc.

16. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I'm sure this has been covered but why no "Holland"? Or "Wild Honey", "Friends" or "20/20"?

17. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

They gotta stop somewhere...

18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Maybe Box of Vision will do a box to house everything in. I can't see Capitol doing anything complete, since they own the rights to everything Beach Boys now. Just too massive. But, speaking of boxes, shouldn't there be a 2nd Volume of singles?

19. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

A bit off topic but...What has BestBuy done in the past regarding price? Does the $9.99 pre-order price go up after the release date or hold steady?

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Jeez, $19 each at JB Hi-Fi... PASS

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My recollection is that it may be a release day only thing or stay for a week or so and then go up. I decided to order now to be safe.

22. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

My thoughts exactly. I was ready to click "Checkout" when I received an email informing me of fraudulent activity on my credit card. It's now closed and I won't have a new card for 10 days or so. :realmad:

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Bet it was Mike Love.

24. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

:biglaugh: No doubt in my mind. First he fires the Beach Boys and now this!

25. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

That's a ridiculous price. This is the reason why people steal music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.