New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Is that why DCC didn't wind up doing it?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No, they couldn't find the tapes at that time. Tricky to find the right ones of the Capitol material of the 1951-56 era. A snap now of course, only 10 years too late.

3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve. I'm glad this is getting documented - its good to see the guys "upstairs" getting some recognition.

4. Steve Hoffman

It's very difficult. Engineers got NO credits in those days, thus the "Engineered by...." section on the tape legends seldom got filled out.

Sometimes the only way to tell who engineered what is to look at the handwriting on the tape boxes. Sometimes the only option is to listen to the studio chatter and talkback. For example on "TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH" you hear Lee stopping a few takes and Nat says: "What is the problem? Am I off or something?"

Lee explains that they are trying to work something out and it's "our fault". (They were trying to get mic "highlight" coverage on some special horns...)

Nat then states that he misses the days of Bessie Smith and one microphone for everything. You clearly hear Lee on the talkback go (in his usual dour manner): "Yeah, Kraus agrees".

Therefore, John Kraus was at the helm that day.

Hard to document but sometimes you catch a break...:agree:

But it's impossible to listen to every outtake. I'd still be there...

CBackley likes this.
  5. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I hope you're able to include some of that chatter in the upcoming releases. Absolutely priceless! Either way, it's just such a rare insight into those sessions.

Thanks. :righton:

6. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Something else to anticipate spending money on...talk about an embarrassment of riches.

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Perhaps you could let apileocole (Chris) do it for you. I'm sure he'd do it for free... ;)

Thanks for all the additional info Steve! I'm really looking forward to these releases.

8. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

Thanks to everyone involved with this (Chad/AP, Steve, Kevin, etc.) for being able to make it happen. :righton:

:goodie:

9. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Fun stuff! Thanks for sharing that.

In the first post of this thread it says:

"1956, Love Is The Thing (with complete original 12 "Closed miked" mono mixes as bonus tracks on the SACD version)...
    1958, Songs From "St. Louis Blues" (Overture restored for first time since 1958)"

I should know, since I'm a NKC fan, but are there completely different takes for the mono version of Love is the Thing. In other words, there's a whole new album that's very slightly different from the stereo version that I've known all these years? Separate question: is the famous dry version of Stardust going to be included? (hope so!)

On St. Louis Blues, the two versions beyond the original LP that I have (the rare mono Capitol CD from c. 1990?) and the Bear Family release from c. 2006 both have, I'm pretty sure, the overture. But I guess it's the first time it's been on vinyl since the original release...What had to be done to restore it?

10. Steve Hoffman

Quickly, on ST. LOUIS BLUES the overture on the three track tape was lopped off and stored at the end of the reel. We put it back. Perhaps it was restored on an old stereo or mono dub or something but unless someone did it digitally, this is the first time for the original version...

LOVE IS THE THING. They were very careful to use the same takes. Just different miking positions. You'll tell when the cello solo in the opening of the first song plays on the mono. Ah, it's miked!:)

No "dry" STARDUST, no. Since the artist, producer and engineer clearly would not have released anything that sounded that "stark" back in the day, neither will we.

CBackley likes this.
  11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Ben,

The only difference here is in the recording set up. The mono album will offer a different listening experience for you, but the musical performances are the same as those on the stereo issue. For example, if "Stardust" was take #3 on the stereo, then take #3 will be on the mono as well.

Only one album comes immediately to mind - JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS - where the performances on the mono and stereo vary. Two songs on the mono album W 903, have edits, intercuts near the very end of the song. Otherwise, it too is just like the stereo SW 903 (except for the different mic set up).

Too late. I see Steve beat me to it.

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I hope we see more than 1 or 2 of the photos. There is probably a whole contingent here that is interested in the technical aspects of the production. I am going to send a note to Acoustic Sounds encouraging them to publish or post as many of the shots as possible.

13. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Is this the only release to have these bonus tracks? I ask because in the UK this listing is already available to listen to on Spotify.

14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

No. The Capitol Jazz CD as well as the Pure Pleasure LP both had this track listing.

15. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

God help me when is never going to end more money to find to spend on cd's.

Swear to god this place will be the financial ruin of me. But I will die happy.

CBackley likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

When will these come out?

17. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Thanks! :righton:

18. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Sign me up for each one of these on both SACD and LP. Top priority for my $$ over any other huge reissue series coming out this year, or the next few years for that matter if the price of the 45rpm sets is like the Fantasy or Blue Note 45rpm reissues.

19. Steve Hoffman

The bonus tracks for AFTER MIDNIGHT you mean? All current versions have five or six bonus tracks. However, our SACD/CD and 45 RPM vinyl versions of AFTER MIDNIGHT will have these songs directly from the session reels (marked "hold" back in 1956 and re-confirmed in August of 1959 - thus saved from the Vine Street dumpster). Some of these have not been played for 53 years... Dubs of these extra AFTER MIDNIGHT songs are duped on "singles" reels at EMI and they are the easiest to access but we always try to go back to the original source (making mucho extra work for everyone). :winkgrin: Since the original session reels for AFTER MIDNIGHT were only saved if the magic word "HOLD" was written on them, we have a good shot of finding all of the bonus tracks in first generation. (Nat recorded 17 songs for AFTER MIDNIGHT, they were having such a good time they just kept piling on the songs. Only 12 could fit on the LP so they picked the ones to be released and the rest were put on the shelf, totally forgotten until years later when the late Pete Welding found them again in 1986).

A few words about AFTER MIDNIGHT:

The session "outs" reveal a relaxed, intimate bunch of sessions with Nat and producer Lee Gillette both in good spirits and good humor. They play off each other like the two old buddies that they are. At the first AFTER MIDNIGHT session in August, 1956 (Nat's first at the new Capitol Tower Studio) when Nat messes up the words to ROUTE 66 on take one, Lee suggests in his usual dour manner that they concentrate on doing some older material that Nat could remember the words to (hee, the song was years old by that point and Nat had sung it thousands of times). Lee's sense of humor suited Nat and kept all their sessions together for 21 years going smoothly).

I think AFTER MIDNIGHT is one of the most important albums that Nat "King" Cole ever recorded. Even though it commits the sin of being in mono only, this stuff should be required listening for everyone. This kind of musical perfection is pretty much now gone from the world..

Attached Files:

CBackley likes this.
  20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Steve,

I always appreciate your comments about Lee Gillette. His contribution is so overlooked, so undervalued, that it's great to read about his working relationship with Nat from someone who has an appreciation for his work. There is very little information available about Gillette so whatever you've been able to glean from the tapes is certainly welcome from me.

Attached Files:

• Lee.jpg
      Lee.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  21. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Thanks SH--this made me laugh out loud!:righton: :laugh:Any chance this is going on the record? I hope so!

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Indeed :agree:

23. Steve Hoffman

I won't bore you all again with the "better grab these when they come out because you'll never experience anything like this again" speech..

But it's true. I doubt any one is ever going to go to this trouble again to bring you Nat Cole in "straight wire with gain" sound. I don't even know if we could do it again; I can't believe we did it at all. It seems like a dream now...

24. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

25. Steve Hoffman

Email Acoustic Sounds and ask them. The more of you that ask the faster they will come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.