New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looking at the usual online retailers I see there are a few titles left but not many. Looks like Love is the Thing is gone on SACD.

I have all the 45rpm LPs and the Story and After Midnight on SACD from this set. The Nat King Cole Story is available - side 1 is the best sounding I have ever heard an LP sound.

Definitely all are fantastic sounding remasters. My most played 45's and thats saying something!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I haven't been able to play the 45 versions of any of these. Still too stressful for me. Can't imagine what I was thinking to take on such a crazy project. I still love Nat Cole though, so that's something..

teag and paulmock like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Funny, I PREFER the 45's...even though you have to do so much turning. I can understand your feeling, though as you have discussed it here before.

4. Steve Hoffman

I must say the 45 RPM version of LOVE IS THE THING is the only place you can hear this great outtake, complete with Nat's bracelet and Lee Gillette.

Twinsfan007, Ere, xilef regnu and 3 others like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I'll bet Lee was an absolute joy to work with!

6. Steve Hoffman

Lee was great. His son is my friend on Facebook.

Equal time for the mono mix, different in the second half from the stereo take (after the instrumental break.)

Simon A and paulmock like this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Always like to hear that one. He did more than count sheep the night before - great line by Lee.

I just put The Very Thought on the table. Whats even better is my wife loves this set quite a bit.

paulmock likes this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I meant to say "absolute JOY" to work with! I have edited it.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Speaking of Nat, are we EVER going to get a SACD of "The Christmas Song" LP remixed this time from the multis like all the Acoustic Sounds SACDs?

10. Steve Hoffman

No.

11. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Actually, it’s an entirely different take with differences throughout. I listen to both versions of the album. Like them both equally. Like the clarity on the stereo and the mix on the mono.

Original post.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    jtaylor likes this.
  12. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Well, I guess that settles it. Thankful for the releases we did get. Tbe fact that they exist at all is a miracle.

13. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Active Member

I just thought a low shelf eq would have been appropriate, I keep thinking there's someone at the door....

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I love hearing those mic pops here, and glad that Steve left them alone, but can also understand people wanting to reduce or remove them. Given these releases were all-analog (up to digital conversion for the hybrids), there's really no way to reduce those without doing too much harm, in my opinion. Working on mic pops is best performed digitally, where you can essentially remove them surgically.

mick_sh likes this.
  15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

This makes me feel like the guy who throws his horn in the river after hearing Charlie and Dizzy in "Bird". I only have one of these Steve's Nat Cole (Love is the Thing LP) but I don't play it much because I'll need to throw in the river the rest of my music collection. It's, hands down, the best sounding piece of physical media I own.

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by special request.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Hadn't heard this in a while. Great false start..

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

In the particular case of this false start, since we're in football season (but, why?), there's no penalty flag. :agree:

19. Stereolove

Stereolove Forum Resident

After hunting for the NKC Story on vinyl - at a fair price, my Analogue Productions release is en-route to Australia. Have been waiting six months to nab a copy of this after I saw Michael Fremer’s video of his top / fave 100 pressings. Will share my thoughts once it arrives.

AnalogJ and paulmock like this.
  20. Randolf Sears

Randolf Sears Well-Known Member

I have been searching, without success, to figure out if the Acoustic Sounds Nat King Cole Flac 24/176 is worth purchasing. They have three albums listed right now, Love is the Thing, St. Louis, and Just one of those Things. I have the SACDs that I can find/afford but these FLACs would definitely be fun a (and instantly gratifying). I'm just not certain if Mr. Hoffman or Mr. Gray had anything to do with these files or if they are just converted DSD files.

21. Steve Hoffman

Converted DSD files.

22. Randolf Sears

Randolf Sears Well-Known Member

thank you! I figured as much. I actually just found “Just One of Those Things” for $20 on SACD, so that just leaves me needing Love is the Thing. I have a “thing” for Nat so it is nice to have access to the downloads. Thanks for all your beautiful work!

AnalogJ likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

You’re welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.