New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Hello!

Now can I admit I heard Steve play "Nature Boy" at CES this year and it sounded amazing? Count me in for some of these. I am a big fan. Peace. Robert

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

DCC

That makes three of us.

3. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

One very good reason to hang onto the DCC version of Cole's "Love Is The Thing" album: The unique, "dry" mix of "Stardust." As I recall, it's inclusion on the disc was due to a fortuitous error: It was mistakenly left on the end of the reel that was used for mastering. What a fabulous, unexpected bonus that turned out to be.

I think it's the definitive mix of what may be the greatest performance of the greatest popular song of the 20th century ... and the DCC disc is the only place to hear it.

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Interesting. Vinyl, too?

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:agree: A fine album. The 3 bonus tracks are from the 1961 LP, Let's Face The Music, none of which are included among this group of releases. At the time, the S&P release had to be licensed using the Capitol CD track listing, which had included those 3. Licensing was different for this upcoming release; it will instead have the one extra track from the Just One of Those Things sessions, You'll Never Know, as a bonus track. IMH it's a wonderful track too. :)

6. apileocole

No, just the gold CD. I've heard there may be some question whether it is present on all of the CDs. All I can say is that it's on mine and that so far I haven't heard of one that it doesn't appear on. It is not indexed seperately and may be found by forwarding a bit past the last track.

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I wonder if there will be any cool studio chatter added.

Also, what amplification is Steve using in the studio these days to remaster? The McIntosh MC402 for vinyl? Whats in the signal path of the SACD's? Some nice juicy vintage tubes?

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And I have #00009 of Love Is The Thing on LP.
    I may put the bugger on Ebay to finace the 45 sets.

9. nickelz24

nickelz24 Forum Resident

This is amazing news! Can't wait...

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Really looking forward to these, Steve. Thanks!!

11. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Awesome.

12. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

If only so many others working in the field realised that getting as close as possible to the real sound is what mastering should actually be all about! Beuatifully put, Steve as the rule-of-thumb by which you work and I can't wait for these releases!

(Probably just buy the SACDs, though - my knowledge and playing equipment just ain't up to handling high-end quality vinyl)

13. apileocole

:wave:
    Meh. Buy the vinyl too. I'll play 'em for you. :D

Anyway it'd encourage more releases and I'm sure you'd be a good caretaker for a set stashed aside for the future. ...Unless of course the future heirs chuck it to the curb... Oh heck forget I brought it up! :laugh:

14. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

IIRC Steve has stated somewhere that it is only present on the first batch of CDs and had to be corrected for later production runs.

Arne

15. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

:laugh:

16. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

These releases look great. Many thanks to Steve H. and everyone else involved. Does anyone know when they will be for sale? What is the website of the company that's releasing these titles?

17. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

18. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

Luckily I still don't have anything that plays SACD, so I just need the vinyl.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow...great to hear. Sounds like a wonderful project. Good to see WHERE DID EVERYONE GO? get some attention.

Steve, it seems these were done at Kevin's studio? I guess you "called into" the Capitol echo chambers? What about playback - tubes, etc.? Glad you got to do these...

CBackley likes this.
  20. violarules

violarules Senior Member

From Steve's first post in this thread:

"We would have to build an echo chamber and do all the mixing, EQ'ing, etc. live as we were cutting."

And don't they both use the same studio: The mastering suite at Acoustech? :wave:

21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I was going through the titles to see which ones I will need to get.

Turns out I need them all..............:shh:

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. Kevin upgraded the equipment to cut these, so it all seems to have been done at his studio since these are "live" mixes to lacquer. So, how did they get the echo on there? I'm guessing that Steve and Kevin had to patch into Capitol's chambers (studios can "call" into the Capitol chambers, so they don't have to be at the Tower to use them). I thought Steve could confirm, and also give some info on playback, electronics, etc.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I miss... Penthouse Serenade

24. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Steve H. did a *great* vinyl of this already from Pure Pleasure records! Still available, I think.

Forget the Beatles remasters--we've got the real deal!

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Martin, how in the world does that work? Patching into the chambers at Capitol without being there ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.