New Analogue Productions Nat King Cole vinyl: "Mixing directly to 45 RPM lacquer" adventures!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

see post # 2 from Steve :

Please direct all inquiries about RELEASE DATES to Acoustic Sounds. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

2. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

This is an amazing project. Congratulations Steve!

3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A big thank you to Steve, Kevin, and everyone else who played a role in bringing this project to life.

4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The two that were on DCC (Love Is The Thing and The Very Thought Of You) won't blow away the DCCs, but they'll offer some improvement (and of course there wasn't a 3 channel SACD DCC). After Midnight and Just One of Those Things were only mastered by Steve for (standard 33 1/3) LP before, not CD or SACD. St. Louis Blues, Where Did Everyone Go? and The Nat King Cole Story haven't been mastered by Steve before at all.

Of course given the scarcity of the DCCs and the (let's say, compromised) sound of other releases, all of these are most welcome!

You're not alone. Some of the remakes are preferred by most folks, myself included. And yup, the bonus tracks are indeed added value, not just to collectors; a couple were big hits and several others are so good they deserved to be released then. Goes to show how prolific and consistent they were they could let 'em slide and had plenty more on the slate. Hindsight has shown up how precious these are though. It's fabulous to find there's a few more tracks we can enjoy in addition to the classic albums.

5. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

The "Nat King Cole Story" was recorded later in Nat's life-IMO his voice had deteriorated a little, and he was using his "Nat-ism's" more blatantly. As a life long Nat fan it bugged me a little-especially the remakes in stereo of tunes from "Unforgettable". I'm sure this version will sound stunning compared to the original, but what I am really drooling over is the 45 RPM versions of "Love Is The Thing", "Where Did Everyone Go"-(an underrated masterpiece), "After Midnight", and "The Very Thought Of You". Zounds! :goodie:

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

IMO the voice was remarkably similar, just a bit more mature.

The voice is still magnificent on even later albums -- such as the Nat King Cole/George Shearing album and as you have said "Where Did Everyone Go".

I am thinking that the sound of these remixes may give us new insight and appreciation of "The Nat King Cole Story" albums.

8. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Any reason why the Cole / Shearing album is not a part of the SACD series?

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

This sounds very interesting! I love Nat Cole and the 50s Capitol sound!!!!

10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm curious how long these have been licensed for... 3 years? I'm a little short of cash right now. But I want these SO BAD.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The NKC DCCs are some of the best of the best of my CDs. I am definitely going to buy these new SACDs and LPs. I'm sure the sound Steve is getting will be superb based on the quality of the DCCs.

12. apileocole

Well I think I know what you mean, but I've come to feel that what he lost of that warmer, more pliable voice was more than made up for by his deepening maturity as a singer. In some ways there's a bit more "Nat-ism" but on the other hand he's also less conservative in other ways. More dynamic attack, longer phrasing, richer texture. It's often interesting at least. Again, just my humble, but it's not a surprise to me some don't equal the originals; what surprises me is how many come down to relatively minor trade-offs and how many better the originals. Definitely a change from what I often associate with the term "remake" - usually it ends up meaning "run for it"!

Trading some of the overdone echo or digital ice on previous editions for a richer sound won't hurt 'em either.

Maybe if some of these do relatively well, some others might be possible in future. The Shearing album is a lovely, mellow album. I know there was an older MFSL LP and the CDs aren't bad, but yeah I'd be in for a Steve mastered edition. Let's Face The Music wouldn't be bad either...

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What is a Nat-ism?

14. apileocole

I hear you.

Hope they'll be available for a good long time - indeed would the Estate not want such fine editions kept readily available? - but I wouldn't be surprised if they're not given the licensing game.

15. Wow. Every few weeks it seems we have an even greater embarrassment of riches in the 45RPM vinyl and SACD reissue front. Thanks Steve and Kevin for going the extra mile.

I must admit that my first thought was, darn, now I need to upgrade my Nat King Cole audiophile vinyl, and the ones I have (all the DCC and the S&P, I hadn't yet sprung for the title on Pure Pleasure thankfully) are worth less than I paid for them.

Ah well. I'll get over this when I hear the improvement no doubt. I can rationalize it by selecting the SACD versions, and keeping the vinyl I have.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I was so excited that I didn't note any release date info :confused:

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

That's because there isn't one yet!

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Dont be so sure they are worthless. The DCC's will still sound like the DCC's. Im not getting rid of any of my DCC NKC's.

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

See post #2......

20. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear Nat on these SACD's. :goodie:

21. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Although I will be buying the whole set on both SACD and vinyl, I am keeping all three DCC NKC discs. I don't think this will affect the value of the original DCCs at all. If it does, I think the drop will be short lived.

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm still hanging on to the SH mastered (and mixed) "Just One Of Those Things" S&P LP.

Damn good sounding record and the 3 bonus tracks are a nice addition.

23. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Mine gets regular play here at the house John, great album. :cheers:

24. Why couldn't a set of SACD's be released of an artist I had no interest in? This is going to cost me a lot of money...

25. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

Is the sacd Nat king Cole by tivoli audio considered any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.