New album from the Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhvbear, Jan 31, 2024.

1. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

We'll just started in on this a few minutes ago but so far this is just wonderful. The strings and production are really ace, and whatever processing they're doing with Neil's voice it sounds really nice, he hasn't sounded this good in ages.

Hillbilley, ScottishStuart and JeffMo like this.
  2. Hillbilley

Hillbilley Forum Addictive

Likely so, yes. The instrumental bonus discs from Elysium and Hotspot haven't been released for streaming either. I have ordered the Deluxe edition of the new album, but it will take some days before I have it.

In the meantime, we can listen here: :righton:

Groovy likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

4. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I so love A New Bohemia. I could listen to a whole album of these sweeping melodies. Breathing space, Burning the Heather and now this one. These type of songs really hit my spot.

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Well after three listens I absolutely love this album. It's a total chill out listen with some really cool old style synth background, really nice deep bass, wonderful strings on top, and really good melodies.

I haven't had a chance to get much into the lyrics as I'm driving today but they do sound pretty interesting in most of the songs.

I only wish there were a couple more songs as the album does seem pretty short.

Eska68, Thorpy, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to listening to it this weekend. And I have to say, after the listening to the new Taylor Swift album, which is great, a short 10 track album is welcome.

MikeManaic61 and Erick Haight like this.
  7. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

This song is just so stunning I just can't stop listening to it. Evidently it's going to be the next single. At first I thought it might be a little too slow to be a single but after listening to a few times I don't think that matters.

8. Balcony Falcon

Balcony Falcon Well-Known Member

I have to sit with this album a while longer, but on first impression "Nonetheless" is more of a grower than expected. There's no denying the wisdom of collaborating with James Ford. He brings a fresh perspective, yet the core essence of Pet Shop Boys remains undeniably intact. I think their enduring creative force often transcends individual collaborators, but here they have clearly taken some notes. For me, the attention paid to Neil's vocals is a revelation after the tinny sameness of the Berlin trilogy. It's a celebration of his expressive range and newly richer depth. So far, however, I have the lingering sense that some of the songs are a bit thin.

BigManRestless likes this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Gonna listen to it on the way home! I think it is very cool how they have kept up interesting output over such a long period of time. AND, to judge from bootlegs I've heard, do chunks of later material in their setlists, not just 99% old stuff. Loved the Super show, hope to catch this tour as well (=hope they add more dates!!! And in America please!!!)

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I enjoyed my first stream of it, and had been a bit worried after not loving the singles.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  11. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'm taking it as a positive sign that I'm noticing people talking about this record at least. It felt to me like Hotspot was released to a resounding shrug, and while it's not my favourite PSB record by any means, it deserved better.

12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

IMO Hotspot is a consistently "good" album, but nothing really stands out as being great (except Burning the Heather, which I absolutely love). But there are no really bad songs, except for Wedding in Berlin, which is in a class by itself, I suppose.

Hillbilley likes this.
  13. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

A new bohemia - is top PSB - just beautiful, sweeping strings, great intelligent lyrics (nice sly joke), amazing vocals and nice arrangement. Neil's vocals sound better than ever, wow!

Thorpy, Balcony Falcon and Anaplian like this.
  14. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I overall liked Hotspot a lot, but with two caveats:
    1) it finishes with the weakest album song of their career, which undermines the album as a whole
    2) stylistically it’s a bit all over the place, and while 'You Are The One' is a nice song, as track 2 it kills the momentum of 'Will o the wisp' immediately. Even if they’d just swapped it with track 3 (‘Happy People'), it might flow a bit better.

But I’d say about half the songs are top-shelf and rest (minus 'Wedding in Berlin') are good enough.

Looking forward to all of my many formats of Nonetheless coming! The comparisons to Fundamental, one my my favourites of theirs, and positive reviews overall are very encouraging.

15. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

Fundamental is one of my favourites too!

bob60 likes this.
  16. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

Speaking of Fundamental, I find that Nonetheless has a similar smooth, "clean" sound with a lot of detail and resonance. My two top PSB studio albums since Fundy are Electric and Hotspot. They're both filled with strong tracks, although Electric is almost too razor-sharp in sound (although that adds to that album's winning rambunctiousness) and Hotspot has a wonderfully hazy soundscape which is great, but the more focused sound of Nonetheless is just as welcome.

Some people are already rolling their eyes at the calculated cheese (or should that be whipped cream) of "The Schlager Hit Parade," but I think it's hilarious. Pet Shop ABBA.

"The Sound of Happiness" will divide listeners. Some won't like its 1960s string pop sound, but I find it delightful.

"Bullet for Narcissus" is the least creative tune, but it includes a couple of terrific drumrolls.

Overall, there's a 1960s art deco revival mood in both music and lyrics for this album.

Hillbilley and Anaplian like this.
  17. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The secret of happiness sounds like a much more polished version of between two islands. And that's not a bad thing at all. I love the production on it.

I don't mind the schlager hit parade at all (musically) but I really have no idea what the lyrics are supposed to represent. It seems to be a kind of joke but I'm not sure if I'm catching the references.

I understand what you mean about bullet but then again I hate the referenced narcissus in real life so much that I'm willing to give them a pass.

18. Danny Hutchins

Danny Hutchins Well-Known Member

Can anyone who purchased the "Nonetheless" blu-ray tell me how badly it's compressed, if at all?

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Dave will when he gets his. My guess since all the outlets for Hi-Rez are selling the 24-44 it'll be the same, just up-sampled to 96.

20. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Man I hope not. :sigh:

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Same here, I need some faith restored from these labels :laugh:

22. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Someone over on Discogs said Nonetheless was their least favorite album since Behaviour.

My reaction: Forget about Nonetheless for a minute. You're saying you *didn't* like Behaviour? If that's true, we're going to need to revoke your PSB fan club card!

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:yikes::yikes:

The Pop Kids likes this.
  24. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

That's not what they're saying

The Pop Kids and mr_spenalzo like this.
  25. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Phew! Just having a little fun here. But they do seem to be saying they've got Behaviour ranked near the bottom of their list, which I just can't wrap my head around!

I didn't get way into PSB until about 15 years ago. I was only 6 when Behaviour came out. I have to imagine that record was pretty disorienting coming hot on the heels of Introspective.

Like wait, what?