New album from the Pet Shop Boys - Nonetheless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhvbear, Jan 31, 2024.

1. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member Thread Starter

From petshopboys.co.uk

Nonetheless

[​IMG]
    Pet Shop Boys are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their brand new studio album, “Nonetheless”, on Parlophone Records on April 26.

The album can now be pre-ordered, which (for Europe and UK stores) will also give access to priority tickets for a very special run of five PSB shows at London’s Royal Opera House from July 23 – 27. The first single from the album, “Loneliness”, is available digitally now and will be released as a CD single on February 16. Link to pre-order and listen below.

“Nonetheless” features ten tracks and will be available digitally and in various physical formats, including CD, black vinyl, clear vinyl, grey vinyl and cassette. Recorded and mixed in London last year, the album is the duo’s first with producer James Ford.

The track listing is:

Loneliness
    Feel
    Why am I dancing?
    New London boy
    Dancing star
    A new bohemia
    The schlager hit parade
    The secret of happiness
    Bullet for Narcissus
    Love is the law

The 2CD and double white vinyl deluxe editions of “Nonetheless“ include the bonus four-track EP, “Furthermore”, featuring completely new recordings of “Heart”, “Being boring”, “Always on my mind” and “It’s a sin”.

More details on the album, the single and the Royal Opera House shows are available through the official Pet Shop Boys store.

They seem to have resigned with Parl0phone Records

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@c-eling they are releasing a cd single! :)

omikron, Jarleboy, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member Thread Starter

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:pineapple:
    And a good old extended :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I really like the single which gives me high hopes for this album.
    The album sleeve is great, and Chris has wisely dropped the hats, finally.
    I love the video, very raunchy…

Jarleboy, pghmusiclover and c-eling like this.
  6. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

I'm very happy with the tunes and overall sound of "Loneliness," "Party in the Blitz," and "Through You." (I can't get enough of "Through You.") I was hoping for a return to the spacious and thumping sound of Fundamental and it could be Nonetheless will be on that level. And what will "The Schlager Hit Parade" be about? lol.

7. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Beautiful sleeve. Pre-ordered the bundle from PSB and the white and regular vinyl on Amazon.

c-eling likes this.
  8. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I'm all for Chris' shaved head :love:

9. Hillbilley

Hillbilley Forum Addictive

Exciting news! I hope the change of producer does them good, as the Stuart Price sound got tedious over three albums. The song titles are interesting. Looking forward to hear "The schlager hit parade" and "Bullet of Narcissus"! :)

The new single wasn't very interesting. I prefer the B-side track "Through you". But I wonder what happened to the "short" version of that track, as this is an extended mix.

I really like the cover art! It has to be a nod to Actually. And of course it's not a coincidence that this is released the same day as the Dreamworld tour film premieres on the cinemas.

portlandjulian, JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I do also, I'm thinking it will be on another single.
    I don't see the CD Single up for pre-order yet but they could be a-holes and throw it on a 7 inch :rolleyes: :laugh:

portlandjulian and Hillbilley like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The video was great, but I thought Loneliness was meandering, monotonous and kind of flat.

The thing about the Pet Shop Boys is that they’ve made so many great records that this is stands out as a huge drop in quality.

Thorpy, Hillbilley and bob60 like this.
  12. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

The single and B-sides are insanely good for an artist on the late stage of their career. I'm especially fond of Through You, although Loneliness is really good too.
    Psyched for the new album!

PH416156 and ScottishStuart like this.
  13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

very interesting. looking forward to the album.

the single is ok, but the mixes are where its at for me.

later
    || | || |
    ne gative 1

14. sjas1962

sjas1962 Forum Resident

I'm in!

15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I'm cautiously optimistic after the dreadful run of Stuart Price albums! It seems kind of crass to make the bonus disc just re-recordings of old songs, but whatever, I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. :agree:

PH416156, serj, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  16. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

This is fantastic news!! Thanks for sharing.

17. Yer Big Fat Daddy

Yer Big Fat Daddy Well-Known Member

Beautiful new artwork. Glad their geometric graphic phase is well and truly over and we can see them. I loathe hotspot artwork and it's probably their weakest album for me in the last 20 years. This very much sounds like a new phase for them. Adore James Ford the producer and there is certainly a hint of Jessie Wares Spotlight / What's Your Pleasure here. The video is great too. Makes me very nostalgic for the early 90's even though it looks grim. There's such a charm about it. Namely no mobile phones which is period I miss so much. Song obviously about the loneliness of not being out. Great concept, not delivered quite as perfectly as something like Invisible which is utterly sublime. Still I love their work ethic. Sure it will grow on me but always great to have the boys back.

SimonCH, NunoBento and c-eling like this.
  18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I know it's just nostalgia, but I'm also glad to see they're back with Parlophone! To me their switch to X2 is when things took a nosedive.

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I actually thought Hotspot was excellent but I really like the production on this. Seems like some analog synths were used or at least samples of them.

Mansinthe Mavea and NunoBento like this.
  20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Well based on these three tracks it seems like it's going to be an album with a lot of low end sounds. Really like the production.

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I hadn’t even noticed that.
    I wonder why they are back with their old label.

22. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The three tracks definitely sound more "muscular" than the Price era. Either due to the new producer or having more money to spend.

23. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Someone finally posted the audio for 'Loneliness' so we don't have to deal with youtube being some kind of gatekeeper.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Strong Jessie Ware vibes and maybe New York City Boy too? Love the new artwork and Chris without the silly hats…

25. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Now that they are back with Parlophone I wonder if we get Deluxe edition of the older albums.