New 2006 Miles Davis remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Radetzky, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Man With the Horn has some great stuff on it. The title track I think is a complete dud, but the rest is good to excellent.

2. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Just wanted to resurrect this thread as I have been digging around on the net in Japanese this morning as I am off over there in March and want to pick up some Miles while I am over there.

It does seem as if some of these are Mini LP's are new transfers.
    Here's the page for the new Mini-LP Cd's.
    http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Jazz/Special/milesdavis2006/
    You'll notice that some of them say 2006, some 2004 and some back as far as 2000. These are the year of the transfers they are using.

Probably the most interesting...

Agharta, Pangaea

'Following on from the 'Santana - Lotus' reissue.
    Remaster participated in by original LP engineer Tomoo Suzuki. Worked on by staff who produced the original artwork etc, includes picture, liner notes etc.

Round About Midnight, KOB, Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain, Milestones, Someday My Prince, Seven Steps, Porgy & Bess, ESP, Miles In Berlin
    2006 DSD mastering, using the mastertape from the Feb/March 2006 Analog collection

Bitches Brew, You're Under Arrest, You're Under Arrest (says 'planned')
    Jack Johnson, On The Corner
    (Probably Live At Filmore too, though no specific info given)
    New Mastering

In Europe, Nefertiti, Get Up With It, 1958 Miles, Live Evil, We Want Miles
    2001 Mini-LP sleeve mastering

Miles Smiles
    2000 SACD master

Silent Way, Sorcerer
    2002 SACD master

My Funny Valentine, Four and More, Miles In Tokyo
    2004 'Seven Steps' Box master

Here is the link for the 'Analog Collection' LP box released in March 2006.
    http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/detail.asp?goods=SET0000000154
    Anyone heard any of these?

3. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Duplicated 'You're Under Arrest' - should read 'Man With The Horn'.

I've read a couple of Japanese CD blogs this afty and the consensus seems to be that for the 'new' transfers the difference is subtle, perhaps a little less compression and lower volumes overall.
    One mentioned that Agharta/Pangaea had more reverb than the last (2000?) remaster.

4. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

That's very interesting re the latest japanese remasters. I had assumed they were pretty much the same as what had already come out of Japan in recent years.

Having the original packaging guy involved is something... the original packaging on the Agharta/Pangaea japanese LPs was remarkable.

5. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Appears they are OOP or close to it now too, trying to get them from amazon.jp.

I'm also going to plump for Nefertiti of these, as the JSACD has the channels reversed and I'm not keen on the alternate takes of the previous issues.

Also forgot to mention, the discs are pressed on some new 'almost see through' plastic - not the regular silver colour. Probably of little real significance?

6. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi misterbozz,

thanx for resurrecting this thread - and thanx for that info about the latest Japanese Mini-LP CDs!

looks like these are definitely worth picking up - especially the "Agharta" one, as the packaging on the LP i've got is gorgeous, as Paul C. had previously mentioned.

:righton:

7. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

The original LP of Agharta from Japan had a booklet with black and white photos of Miles looking outrageous - I'd be interested to know if the latest CD version in mini-LP sleeve duplicates this booklet.

8. Yes Agharta and Pangea DSD mini-LPs have these. They are about 2/3 the side of a CD inlay, and have about 6 photos each - different photos for each.

9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Cool. Hoping amazon jp can find some of these for me.

10. I bought both Agharta & Pangea from this ebay seller (eiselvis) , located in Japan.

I paid US$25 for each of them.

Postage to me in Oz was super fast, about 6 days. And it was sent by registered mail, which meant I had to sign for it, which is a nice bonus security measure that I can't recall paying for.

11. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Paul Tingen's Miles Beyond web site has details on the On the Corner Box as of today ...

http://www.miles-beyond.com/otcbox.htm

12. b8375629

b8375629 New Member

13. I wonder if that means that He Loved Him Madly and Calypso Frelimo will be remixed? Personally I hope so, the original mixes are on Get Up With It, so they are easy to get. But I hope this boxed set remixes those tracks for extra clarity.

14. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I am kinda amazed by this release. I have never read a good review of it and in fact I am rereading Milestones again and the author just hates this album.

To be honest, I heard it once years ago and was not impressed. I will hold off on the box set and maybe get the single CD release and get it a spin before I decided one way or another.:confused:

15. It isn't JUST more material from the On the Corner album, it is everything recorded in the studio from '72 - '75, which includes material that ended up on On the Corner, Big Fun, Get Up With It, and I think Circle in the Round (which itself was just a compilation of previously unreleased material).

Plus it contains a heap of unreleased material, including entire session reels, and other tracks that were only released as 45s, which means this boxed set will be their first release on CD.

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

It's been a while since I read Milestones. Although it was a very good biography, as I recall the author was not in the overall very enthusiastic about any of the music Miles was playing at that point in his career.
    Although I enjoyed IASW, BB, GUWI, BF, CITR, Agharta, Pangaea and just about everything else I had a hard time getting next to the herky-jerky groove of OTC for many years (FWIW, I wasn't a JJ freak, either). Then I came across Miles Davis In Concert, a two disc set from Philharmonic Hall. The arrangement of Black Satin on that recording, with its somewhat altered rhythmic flow and Al Foster on drums totally floored me.
    This box set looks more like the BB box than IASW or JJ in that it contains material from a number of sessions that took place around the time of OTC, including the ones that yielded the masterpieces Calypso Frelimo and He Loved Him Madly from Get Up With It. Although they're calling this Beyond the Corner, GUWI has always been for me the stronger record and the material seems pretty split between the two.
    Now that I've gone high rez, I have to say that I'd love to see this release in SACD 5.1. I'm not holding my breath, as they've never put out the JJ in high rez even though it was mixed that way. If history is any indication, they better have their business straightened out with Miles' nephew or we might not see/hear this box in any form.

17. lazarus

lazarus Forum Resident

I love "On the Corner".
    A great album!!!!!!!! Very, very underrated!

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

On the corner is one amazing album, I love it. As usual, the 'traditional' jazz critics hate it.

19. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

As someone who generally loves Miles Fusion stuff, I never really enjoyed On the Corner. But I am prepared to go back and try it again. This sounds like it will be a very good set, covering a very broad range.

As a side note, while on the subject of "On the Corner", I still have a Sly and Robbie LP called "Language Barrier" from 1985with the track "Miles (Black Satin)", a very funky and rather 80s-style update of Black Satin. I don't think it's ever had a CD release.

20. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i got the sly & robbie on vinyl, back in the day. cool record, produced by bill laswell.

CDU has something on CD:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5879883&BAB=M

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.