Neil Young - Archives Vol. 1: 8 CD's, 2 DVD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Mark Brown? From da' paper? If so thanks for being one of the best entertainment writers to be found at any national paper.

Thanks for the confirmation. Wonder what this will list for?

C

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I am hoping it will contain the complete Fillmore show, or at least the tracks that didn't make it onto the recent release.

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

how bizarre that the tunes that weren't good enough to release at the time, will now sound much better than the actual albums we now have on CD.

4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Why would you say that about Neil? He reknowned for leaving his best recordings and compositions on the shelf and releasing inferior material. Thats not even counting the excellent stuff he did but then moved on into something else before he got a change to release that stuff. I'm sure he has some boners in the vaults, but even judging by the unreleased songs he's played live over the years, if this ever happens, it may very well be comprised of mostly better songs than a lot of what he released.

5. Of course, it's the music that is important. But to me, it's also the sound.

These latest CD's weren't too badly compressed, but they definitely were, and the main difference (improvement) of the DVD's vs. the CD's was that the compression was left off, and not the added resolution (which of course also helps).

Praire Wind seemed to be an exception, I didn't notice any compression on that CD.

Plus, I only said I am not 100% excited. I am 90% excited... ;)

6. Pawnmower

exactly my point. :righton:

7. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/neil_young/news/9279

WTF?

8. gohill

gohill Senior Member

How absolutely infuriating, once again the music industry bites the hand that feeds them.....us!!! No wonder its in crisis. Do i buy Massey now or not, knowing i will be buying it again in 7 or 8 months!!! Elliot Roberts and Neil Young should be ashamed of themselves!!! Maybe i should buy neither neil, eat a peach!

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Although I have been yearning for "Archives" for almost 20 years now, and I still have high hopes for it, Neil isn't above wasting disc space or his fans' money. Besides the multiple releases of his recent albums, I'm thinking in particular of the completely pointless Disc 4 on the Buffalo Springfield box.

To me, the real crime won't be if "Fillmore" is included in "Archives vol. 1", it will be if it's the same truncated, 43-minute disc he released last month. Ditto for the "Massey Hall" disc if that one is similarly incomplete.

10. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It's probably better to withold judgment until we actually see the thing, what it contains, and how it's priced. I won't complain too much if it includes the already released live material if the other 6 disks are full of remarkable material and the pricing is on the lowish side for a box that big. I'll just sell the disks I have and buy the box.

L.

11. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

This kinda makes me sad in a way. After all this time waiting, Once I have it in my hands I feel like life won't be worth living anymore. That goes double for the Beatle remasters.

12. Pawnmower

Thanks! You just saved me some money.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

And they wonder why people turn to the "grey" side.... * hums star wars music* dum-dum dum dum dum dum ... dum dum duuum...:rolleyes:

14. Pawnmower

the article states that there are 38 previously unreleased songs on the 8 cd's. that must mean we are getting stuff we already have, or else these are 4-6 track cd's.

we already know the fillmore disc is a mere 43 minutes. 6 tracks.

15. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I think the most recent comments Neil has made was that everything would be chronological and include both released and unreleased songs because he wants to put his released material in context with the unreleased material in order to tell a story. I think Neil views his unreleased stuff and some of the live stuff as an alternate, yet complementary part of his career. Therefore, it all has to be together. Personally, I'd rather have just the unreleased stuff. However, that doesn't appear to be the plan.

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not necessarily. Many of the tracks will undoubtedly be demos, alternate takes, unreleased live tracks, etc.

17. Chris M

I have no problem with the incomplete Fillmore disc whatsoever. Have you heard the acoustic portion of that set? It's really nothing special. There are much better acoustic Neil shows from that era. I can understand why he held it back. I'm sure he wanted the focus to be on the Whitten era Crazy Horse anyway. I like the idea that you can walk into a record store and come out with a great live show from the original Crazy Horse..

18. Sean Murdock

I see your point, but when I think of massive, expensive box sets of archival material, I'm not hoping for 43-minute CDs, you know? I'm actually not familiar with the Fillmore show -- I'm a casual Neil fan, honestly -- so I don't know much about the missing stuff. Does the Fillmore CD include the entire electric set? If it does, then I guess it's "complete" in that sense ... but I doubt people would have seen it that way if Dylan had only released the electric half of the Royal Albert Hall show.

19. Pawnmower

No. It only has 6 of the 7 songs.

20. Chavo Davis

Chavo Davis New Member

Plus, are those six songs even from the same show?

21. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

any word on a vinyl release?

22. Chris M

The Fillmore set is complete save for Cinnamon Girl which they didn't have on multitrack.

23. Sean Murdock

Thanks for that info. Like I said, I'm not a Neil fanatic -- I'm as casual as you can be considering I have at least 12 of his albums! -- but I hope he makes this Archives series something special that doesn't leave people moaning and groaning. In one of his many tantalizing previews of the project, he told Rolling Stone years ago that he envisioned it being almost like a library piece -- a thorough, annotated, leather-bound, high-brow "collected works" project that he could put on his shelf and be proud of what he's done over the years. He's had plenty of time to work on it, and expectations couldn't possibly be higher; if there's a bunch of 40-minute CDs in it, and the thing costs $120 .... that would be a bummer, to say the least!

24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

................Uhhh why wouldn't life still be worth living? It is being called Archives Vol. 1 isn't it?

25. Chavo Davis

Chavo Davis New Member

Yes, but they played four separate shows over two days at the Fillmore, so we don't know which shows those six songs are from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.