Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

maybe the delay has to do with the state of the economy. It's not like it's the best moment to try and market a big, expensive boxed set, especially in a medium that is unfamiliar to a significant portion of the fan base. Who's going to be up for dropping a few hundred dollars on something like this this year? And that goes double for people who would have to invest in the technology first....

L.

3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Excellent point! That could be a, or, the factor. Though you never know what people are going to do ahead of time, regardless of what they tell others, polls show that this year's "black Friday", will probably be called "red Friday"...

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Same here - I'm not sure why people would hate Blu-Ray if you saw what it had to offer over standard DVDs on a large hi-def set, but that's for another thread.

Honestly I'm not sure why we couldn't get a CD/DVD version and a Blu-Ray version so everyone is pleased. Or no version at all since that seems what will please Neil. :)

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I think that is just due to people (like me) not wanting to go out and buy a blu-ray player.. Because then you need a nice big screen HDTV too.. A lot of work for a project that even Neil said certain items were "too good" to be included in.

6. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

I clicked on this link and it says this

"The bad: Young's endlessly delayed "Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972)" is officially pushed back to some point in 2009. Young has waffled about whether the project will only be available on Blu-ray and DVD or whether there will be CDs sold; the latest word from Reprise is that "Archives" will be Blu-ray only."

did somebody screw up.

7. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Pretty sure you don't actually have to hook up a bluray player to a big screen HDTV, but I understand where you are coming from.

8. :agree: Looks like they changed the article info to correctly state Blue-ray 'cause this morning it read:

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Earlier in the day that article said DVD only. Looks like they corrected it.

10. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Excellent!

Makes sense as one of the focal points of the project was simultaneous browsing while content was playing which is impossible to do with DVD.

Count me as one who has interest ONLY in a blu-ray version (at least as far as disc based mediums go). Online/download would be awesome of course if/when that arrives.

11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

:eek: :eek: :eek:

(Grabs BIG handful of neddles and plunges them into Voodoo Doll....) :angel:

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

WTF is wrong with a CD release, let alone good old vinyl.... :wave:

When Neil stops releasing stuff on Lps and Cds is when we go our "Seperate Ways." :sigh:

:cheers:

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Attached Files:

13. time to join the modern world lps suck blu ray DTS -HD MASTER and DOLBY DIGITAL in 5.1 0r 7.1 sound is incredible!!!I personally went out and bought a blu ray in anticipation of neil youngs archives coming out on blu ray.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

He's back. :righton:

Good to see you, Mike.

15. Mike D'Aversa

:laugh: Thanks John!

I suppose I have been conspicuously scarce here since the early spring (don't know why...I think it might have to do with an obsession of collecting/playing "producer" with all those submixed multitracks, from those Guitar Hero/Rock Band video games).

But there's nothing quite like the heartbreak of yet another painful 'Archives' delay to bring me back home! :)

Count me as one of the fools who not only expected it this time, but even went on record (in part#1 of this mammoth thread) as "I'd be shocked if..."/"I can almost garuntee.."/etc.

I'm need/plan to make a more concerted effort to be around a bit more...

16. TimJo

TimJo New Member

It is a bummer indeed if it is only Blu-ray. :sigh:

My only hope of anything Blu-ray would be if it came in a Mac, but even yesterday when Apple introduced their new line of notebooks, this is what Steve Jobs said during the Q&A session:

"It’s great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we’re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

If Apple is hesitant to jump on the bandwagon, then it seems strange that Neil and Reprise are limiting this release to such a small audience.

Time will tell...

17. Mike D'Aversa

I don't want to doubt RS's journalistic integrity, but maybe that "latest word from Reprise is blu-ray only" is more ambiguous than we think? It doesn't say "we contacted Reprise, and this is what they told us". "Latest word" could easily mean, "what we've read on the internet is". It's just that you never see that, because it makes you look less professional/etc.

Just a thought...

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My friend has a blu-ray player.. If this is blu-ray only, I'll probably go over to his house and make CD's of the audio (for us.) I'll find some way to give Neil a few bucks over this by buying up the little of his discography I'm missing.

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That might be the case, except "the latest" reporting on the Archives was that it WOULD come out on DVD in addition to Blu-Ray. Also, the article was Billboard's, not Rolling Stone's.

20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My friend just sent me an e-mail, I think from neilyoung.com, about the new live disc.. and ended with:

"Stay tuned for the anticipated Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 (1963 – 1972). The 10-disc Blu-ray and DVD packages will be released early in 2009."

21. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

No kidding-I had a dream last night (the reason I am posting so early this morning) that when Archives was finally released Neil decided to do it one disc at a time. And just as the first one was slated to come out he withdrew it! Man...I gotta go get a life. :)

22. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

We all do.

23. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

24. Jon C

Jon C New Member

Isn't it possible that they just got the information from the incorrect Billboard article?

I think there's a lot of clucking going on about about this project. Go out and see him play live while he's still alive, enjoy his vast back catalogue, get Sugar Mountain when it comes out in a few weeks and just chill out. The Archives have been a long time in the making. I'm sure they'll be worth the wait, regardless of format :D

25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

That was my first thought as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.