Needledrop Clips - Madonna Singles - Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Yes, that's more the thing I'm hearing. That said, it sounds ok to me except that the vocals seem a bit recessed. I guess I'm not discerning enough, but that's probably a good thing...

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It also has to do with your playback system. If you have a big, revealing system or headphones, then these things really come out. I do most of my listening on a good set of Grado SR80 headphones, so I really hear the details. It can be frustrating for doing Needledrops because I hear all the background noise, vinyl woosh, etc., a lot and it's not possible to get rid of it all. Then I'll burn a CD and bring it in my car and think it sounds tremendous!

3. Spin Doctor

I've got Grado SR 125's... Like I said, tin ears... :sigh:

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Which Nick Lowe clip are we talking about? :D Sorry, I'm getting confused. :confused:

Thanks for your input, Frank. I really appreciate it... you don't have tin ears... in fact, you're in agreement with Steve on this one. :)

5. Spin Doctor

I was mainly refering to the 2nd Nick Lowe clip, though to me the 1st isn't that far from the 2nd. The 2nd has a slightly fuller sound as was mentioned. I think (my opinion) that the lack of detail and instrument separation has way more to do with the way the track was recorded versus any effect caused by the equipment.

6. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm reviving this thread to see what folks think about the two needle drops. They were done one day apart with the same Technics 1650 TT and M97XE cart. The first one was done on a vintage Harman Kardon 430 receiver and the second on a circa 2000 Technics SA-GX190 receiver. They are both from an 82 reissue Sgt. Pepper mono LP:

http://home.earthlink.net/~another_side/

7. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I prefer the Harman Kardon 430. It seems to have a more natural tonality with better transient response. The Technics sounds a bit muddy with less definition.

8. Another Side

Interesting, I had sort of the opposite reaction.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like the Technics. It has more depth and sense of space.

10. Another Side

I pretty much agree. I do think the Harman Kardon is a bit warmer, but the Technics sounds smoother.

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

UPDATE: I'm still tracking down better sources for my Madonna ND project.

In the meantime, here's a "before and after" clip of "Angel" from the RL-mastered LP:

http://download.yousendit.com/80F9FC2E55F9CA84

The first clip is a flat transfer from the LP (though it ran through a light pass of Click Repair). The 2nd is an EQ-ed version of that same file.

This ND was made with the MMF-5, Shure v15 through a Fisher RS-1056 receiver. Sound captured with my Santa Cruz soundcard, which was connected to my receiver using Belden cable with Switchcraft RCA jacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.