NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks for the info, Dale. Hopefully future releases will feature Cole singing the Rheingold jingles/commercials that he did on several programs.

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Forty-five years ago today, Ben Irwin, a press agent, wrote this for the magazine of the Sunday Los Angeles Times -- Calendar, Feb. 13, 1966.

3. dale 88

I rather like this drawing of Nat.

NKChomageBI (2).jpg

[​IMG]

4. dale 88

In his column in the same magazine, Leonard Feather talks about some of the tribute albums that have been issued, and he mentions that Maria has just appeared on the Ed Sullivan show singing "There'll Never Be Another You".

5. dale 88

Heh. I didn't know much about them, so I looked up some info. I guess they pre-date the Rockettes of Radio City Music Hall by a number of years. Anyway here is a photo of the Tiller Girls in the early 1950's in one of their routines at the London Palladium.

[​IMG]

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Just been looking at 'An evening with Nat King Cole' the BBC TV show of 64 repeated after his death with an added appreciation from Sammy Davis.
    The sound is terrific, no mikes in shot,it has been colorised, I would like to see the original, but this UTube viewing is fine.
    As for his 1950 trio show not going well in the UK Im amazed at that.
    He was very popular here.

7. dale 88

Finally received the LP that has some radio tracks. This record brings us 7 song interpretations we didn't have on the list before. They are from 4 dates new to the RADIO list.

[​IMG]

Nat King Cole | Mel Torme | Vic Damone. BiAC Records. BRAD 10528-529, 1979 Gatefold 2-LP album. [Belgium]

Studio: Paul Leponce [Brussels recording studio]
    Photos: L.F.I. London Features International Limited U.K.
    Maquette de l'Album et Realisation: Jean Sablon

November 8, 1943
    AFRS Jubilee #51
    NBC Studios

Straighten Up and Fly Right
    1:48
    I'm An Errand Boy For Rhythm (listed on Lp as Manhattan Boy for Rhythm)
    1:38

April 16, 1945
    AFRS Jubilee #129
    NBC Studios

If You Can't Smile and Say Yes
    2:30

January 4, 1947
    Baltimore, Maryland
    AFRS "King Cole Trio" #1

Come In Out Of The Rain
    2:14
    Somebody Loves Me
    2:25

July-August 1947
    McCormack General Hospital
    Pasadena, California
    AFRS Jubilee #256
    I'm In The Mood For Love
    1:45
    I've Found A New Baby
    2:18

8. dale 88

The two numbers - Straighten Up and Fly Right & I'm An Errand Boy For Rhythm - from November 8, 1943 let us hear the Trio 3 weeks before their first Capitol recording date. I would guess that hardly anyone would be able to recognize these tunes from just hearing the introductions. The intros are completely different from what we are accustomed to hearing. It shows how much preparation and arranging went into Fly Right. The lyrics are the same but only one piano phrase and the ending piano trio phrase seem familiar. There were some people in the studio that day because you can hear them laugh at one line. I realize now that Errand Boy had been around at least 3 years before Capitol recorded it and of course another 9 or 10 years before it was released.

At first I thought the radio track If You Can't Smile and Say Yes was going to be the original Capitol recording since it had the same timing. But, on comparison it is a different interpretation and a pretty good one too. The sound is not bad for an AFRS radio transcription.

The tracks from 1947 have Oscar Moore not long before he left the Trio.

9. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thanks, Dale.

The November 8, 1943 show was actually already on the list, but without any details other than the guests. I add everything to the list as-is just to capture it (including the duplication) and will work on organization and formatting later.

10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I came across this tonight, the original version of Gee, Baby, Ain't I Good To You by Don Redman and His Orchestra. The only version I ever knew was by the KC3, so hearing the original with the additional verses was a treat.

http://mog.com/Spike/blog/2019916

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Nat sure had a knack for those intros. In many cases where we have multiple recordings of the same number, the intros will vary. Almost all are really nice, pouring you into the number with just the right feel.

12. dale 88

I received this promo "ADVANCE CD" today. It was for the newly assembled Capitol album of 2001: Night Lights

PromoNightLights (3).jpg

"In Stores June 5, 2001"

13. dale 88

Something "New" not on the TV appearances list of Nat King Cole:

This is from a TV program. Here are thirty seconds from an Italian mp3 site. The CD for it has been available for 24 years, but no one told me.:cry: I don't believe it has been mentioned on these Cole threads.

It turns out it is not indexed on Amazon with Cole's name. I will copy the cover and post.

Cole on TV [mp3 sample]

14. dale 88

It is evidently March 19, 1955 on CBS-TV.

Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey and their orchestra. STAGE SHOW. Sounds of Yester Year DSOY 700, 1987. CD. Made in England.

This is the best sounding and most complete set of the songs Nat sang on this TV series that I have found. Warning: there are some wretched sounding copies of some of these songs on various rip-off CDs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dale 88

There are four numbers that feature Nat King Cole. Nat sings three songs and plays piano with the Dorsey big band on the 4th song.

1. Darling Je Vous Aime Beaucoup

2. It's Crazy But I'm In Love

3. The Sand and the Sea

4. Stompin' Down Broadway

I had deduced that it was late Winter or Spring 1955 from Nat's comment that The Sand and the Sea was a new release. Then I happened to look in the biographies and found the date, although Epstein makes it sound like it was a "recording session". He doesn't mention that it was TV. I don't think he had any idea that it was a TV series and that it is was live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The notes mention Elvis Presley's appearances on the series Stage Show but I believe his six appearances were the next year in 1956.

16. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Who's the announcer?

I found the same song on Amazon, but with absolutely horrible reverb added.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2ZU4K/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1298086105&sr=8-2-spell

17. dale 88

18. dale 88

There doesn't seem to be much information about the episodes of early Fifties TV. Here are some tidbits about the TV series Stage Show.

[​IMG]

19. dale 88

Let me find the links -- I have the 3 vocals from youtube in fairly acceptable sound from this disc, evidently.

20. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Very cool. I don't believe I've ever heard his voice, at least not that I recall.

21. dale 88

22. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Awhile back, Cole autographs came up briefly. I got the bug and was finally able to pick one up after a whole lot of searching online.

8"x 10", nice, bold signature in fountain pen. PSA/DNA letter of authenticity. Pretty cool. I also like the fact that it's a Maurice Seymour photo. I'd like to get a solo, signed picture, too, but that will have to wait a while.

Pretty excited about it. Just wanted to share.

Attached Files:

24. dale 88

Nice one. Nat is so relaxed and cool in that shot.

25. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.