NAT KING COLE in special Vintage MONO MIXES from Analogue Productions on SACD/CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's probably there, just misfiled. They didn't dump the "underdubs" after they did the posthumous dubbing.

2. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

JTAYLOR said: "A Rag, A Bone, and A Hank of Hair" - the 3 track mix that appears on the set is a distinct performance - much different, much longer - than the original mono mix. BF did not know this so fortunately both the long and short versions were able to be included.

I'm glad they included both because, as you say, they are so different. Nice to have all those alternates -- and the out-takes, like "Misery Loves Company" -- on the Bear Family sets.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Odd the original hit single take of Looking Back still isn't on CD but then with his catalog, it seems anything that could happen (or not happen), has (or hasn't)...

For what it's worth I have an open mind on it. Strong preference for "as issued" on proper albums, but the original stereo release of that track was by Larry Walsh in 1993 and there was no mono release. How was it established what Lee wanted on that track? Are we sure they were finalized etc?

As for rufflin' discograpical feathers, probably the only ones that would likely care to document such things as mono vs stereo takes/partial takes etc are... us! :D

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Probably filed under Billy May...

5. Steve Hoffman

You're telling me that YOU'LL NEVER KNOW was FIRST issued in 1993? Nothing before that? Wow. Funky.

What Lee wanted on that song was probably an edit between a few of the takes. Of course that wasn't done because the track was left in the can. The stereo version was "pieced" by another engineer at a later date (about 3 months later) and marked (as we know) as "Single ?"

Come to think of it, that's a weird thing to mark on a three-track tape..

I'll see what to do. I have until next Wed. to figure it out...:)

6. Steve Hoffman

I've decided to use take 7 of "You'll Never Know" for one of the mono bonus tracks on the JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS album on triple layer SACD.

I played all of the 14 takes carefully and as was suggested, used Capitol A&R producer Lee Gillette's response to the finished takes as a guide to what HE would have wanted. I chose take 7. It's beautiful and Lee yells a joyous "PLAYBACK!" at the end of it. Why they carried on after that is due to something technical in the music I think. The bass player was Charlie Harris and his opening notes were buzzing on many of the takes. Most takes only lasted until his second note before Lee stopped them. Of course when Lee announced "Take 13" Billy May said, "No, take 14!"

That got a laugh so for the remainder of the album Lee didn't announce a take 13, he skipped directly to take 14 (just to screw up discographers everywhere!) Lee also announced that his office was on the 13th floor of the round building..:laugh:

At around take 9 Nat started bitching (well, lightly complaining) that he didn't want this to be one of those sessions where the songs were technically perfect but the performance without soul. Lee just wanted the opening notes to be perfect and kept after the bass player until he got what he wanted. I believe he had perfection with take 7 though and I'm sure he realized it after a day or so.

At any rate, take 7 is the one. I believe if the song had been picked for the album instead of put on the shelf for 30 years, they would have used take 7. The stereo reel had the last take preserved but I am sure the binaural engineer came to that choice just by the fact that it was the last take before they went to the next song so it was the "master".

By the way, if I may reproduce a part of the great Nat Sessionography here (courtesy of Jordan Taylor) you can see what an amazing band they put together for this album. "Sweets" Edison, Mannie Klein, Jimmy Rowles, Murray McEachern, 'Si' Zentner, Red Callender, Willie Smith and one of my favorite alto players (and the guy who gave the famous Glenn Miller Band the "Sound") Wilbur Schwartz (daddy of my mastering buddy Doug Schwartz).

This is like the entire Swing Era condensed into one great band. Wish I could have been there, dudes! When you get the SACD of JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS, play the three channel layer and try turning off the center channel (Nat's voice) and just groove to the music tracks. What a band... Don't forget to turn the center channel back on though. Gotta hear Nat!

----------------------
    July 10, 1957
    (Session #6133; 13:00-17:00) Capitol Recording Studio (Studio A), 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California

Nat Cole (vocal) Billy May (arranger/conductor) John Collins (guitar) Charles P. Harris (bass) Lee Young (drums) Louis 'Lou' Singer (percussion) James G. 'Jimmy' Rowles (piano) Fred Falensby (baritone saxophone) Jules Jacob (tenor saxophone) Theodore M. 'Ted' Nash (tenor saxophone) Wilbur Schwartz (alto saxophone) William McLeish 'Willie' Smith (alto saxophone) Edward Kuczborski 'Ed' Kusby (trombone) Murray McEachern (trombone) George Mortimore Roberts (bass trombone) Simon H. 'Si' Zentner (trombone) Harry Edward 'Sweets' Edison (trumpet) Conrad Gozzo (trumpet) Mannie Klein (trumpet) Uan Rasey (trumpet) Red Callender (tuba) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp)

(17285-11) Don't Get Around Much Anymore
    (17286-15) The Song Is Ended (But The Melody Lingers On)
    (17287-1 to 14) You'll Never Know UNISSUED in mono. Stereo, take 14 issued.
    (17288-1 to 3) Just For The Fun Of It UNISSUED

Attached Files:

CBackley likes this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Great to read all this stuff.

Steve, are you approaching the mixes any different now compared to the mixes you did on the material you've worked with before?

8. Steve Hoffman

Martin,

My mix style with this stuff is always the same. I pick an early 1950's Nat Cole song to emulate (usually the original versions of UNFORGETTABLE, PRETEND or TOO YOUNG). The way the orchestra sounds, the voice/music balance (the way Nat's voice is never drowned out and is always comfortably up front), this is how I mix the stereo stuff. It's worked so far. Check out my DCC Nat stuff!:)

I am always bummed by modern remixing engineers who treat old music like new music. They have the vocal and music at the same level by compressing the s**t out of both. Or, they let the music swell up over the vocal in spots, something they would never, but never have done back in the old days.

I was watching this "Tribute To Motown" thing on PBS last week hosted by my friend Mary Wilson. It was great seeing these old clips but they replaced some of the music with weird remixed versions. Why they didn't use the original Motown mixes I have no idea. They showed the Temptations singing "MY GIRL" and "AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG" with new mixes and at one part in the songs the music totally overwhelmed the vocals, buried them. Something Barry Gordy would never have allowed in a million years. Why couldn't they just leave the mixes alone or get someone who understands what they were trying to do in the first place?:help:

We forget the old technique because we are so used to hearing the modern style of recording and mixing with everything at the same level..

Rant over!:)

By the way, one of the best remixing engineers was Larry Walsh when he worked at Capitol/EMI in the late 1980's or so. He matched the vocal/music levels of the old stuff pretty darn well..

CBackley likes this.
  9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

"You'll Never Know" was first issued in 1987 on "NKC: Songs From Pictures And Plays" Box set from EMI UK. I believe it is in Mono on that set which was issued both on CD and Vinyl. Bear Family correctly gives 1987 as the year it was first released.

"You'll Never Know" is also in Mono on "NKC: An Affair To Remember" 2CD set from Time Warner Sound Exchange issued in 1996. This set, not sold in stores, also contained other rare NKC tracks.

Perhaps it was not released in the 50's as it was thought to be one of Dick Haymes' signature performances. Haymes recorded it again for Capitol for his "Rain Or Shine" Lp. Haymes and Sinatra both recorded it during the musicians strike in 1943 but the Haymes version endured. Sinatra never returned to it.

Cole and Haymes appeared together on TV in a drama called "Song For A Banjo" which to date has still not surfaced. While there is much disscussion about Cole and Sinatra it is interesting that Cole covered many of Haymes' classics: "The More I See You", "The Very Thought Of You", "Love Letters", "I Wish I Knew" and "You'll Never Know".

10. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Hmm. You wouldn't happen to have the set, would you, Ron? Curious if they used take 14 or not?

Steve, if this set used take 14 would that alter your decision to use take 7? I for one certainly hope not.

11. Steve Hoffman

All of the songs on JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS were made famous by someone else! The reason YOU'LL NEVER KNOW wasn't used is that they did 13 songs for a 12 song album. Something had to go and that was it.

There is a "fono reel" dupe of the mono take 14 of YOU'LL NEVER KNOW in the file. Perhaps that was duped for England in the 1980s? The session reel has not been touched since the 1950's that is for sure. The box seal and tape seal speak for that.

There are also two dubs in the file made from the three track folded to mono with echo added, back in the 1970's and 1980's. You can tell because of the wacky lack of rhythm foundation. This version actually has more echo than the mono original. Also take 14.

It is easy to tell Take 14. The drums and rhythm section are a bit off during the two stop-time orchestra sections when the saxes "soar". In other words they come in a bit late both times throwing the thing a bit off. Easy to tell.

I will use the unissued take 7 of the mono session reel. This is "THE" good take.

12. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Steve and Jordan: I believe all the CDs I have use take 14.

13. triple

triple Senior Member

Triple layer SACD? :confused:

Goran

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Here is a surviving publicity shot, evidently:

[​IMG]

Another song that both Cole and Haymes covered is Sunday, Monday or Always. Dick Haymes did his practically unknown but supreme version in 1952 with Victor Young and His Orchestra.

15. dale 88

I also have this 4 CD box set Nat King Cole: The Great Films and Shows.:)

I posted about this box set in the big thread Nat King Cole Year By Year - Part 2. There are photos of it there. You can read it here -- if you want to click the link:
    Post 62

You'll Never Know
    is in Mono. It is the same length as the Billy May 1993 CD version -- 2:43

I'll bet it happened as you say, Steve:
    I will give it a listen in a bit.

16. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

You'll Never Know

Another early appearance of You'll Never Know was on a UK compilation from 1987 called Greatest Love Songs - details - of a sort - here.

I remember the album well -vinyl first and then issued on CD. It is years since I heard this compilation - so don't know about take numbers or mono/ stereo. I don't know anything about the provenance of this compilation either. I'm sure it pre-dated Alan Dell's comprehensive album re-issue project. Anyone know anything about its release?

I used to have the Films and Shows set - but this vinyl production pre-dates this I'm sure. (It was a sequel of sorts to Unforgettable - a sort of twenty golden greats compilation advertised heavily on TV here in the UK)

17. dale 88

Ian, glad you remembered this appearance of You'll Never Know on that album called Greatest Love Songs. Besides the UK vinyl and CD, I have it on a JVC release a few years ago.

18. dale 88

This album, Nat King Cole Greatest Love Songs, was put out by JVC in 2001 in a XRCD2, 20 bit, K2, edition, from EMI Hong Kong.

The copyright info may show when the mono You'll Never Know was first given to EMI. It says "This compilation 1982 EMI Records Ltd."

The loudness level is so different between this JVC album and the UK 1987 Great Films and Shows, that it will be hard to compare. (but it is fun to try:))

[​IMG]

19. That is Steve's way of saying these will be hybrid SACD's, with a redbook audio CD layer and separate stereo and multi-channel SACD layers. These are shaping up to be some of the best SACD's released since the C.C.R. catalog.

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have them all, the LP versions. They're wonderful. I remembered in the past you saying something about wanting to redo the LOVE IS THE THING mix for some reason, so I thought you may have wanted to do something different here.

Honestly, the only one that sounds a little "off" to me is JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS that came out on S&P. The fidelity/tone is great, but to me it sounds just a little "unmixed". That's cool in its own way, because it's closer feel of listening to a 3-track, but it sometimes strikes me as needing a little more something to make it gel together better, just a bit. Maybe more "murk and goosh". :) Still, a very nice sounding record.

I was pretty shocked at those remixes. I could see trying to do a stereo mix for the show that better matches the monos, but these were pretty revised sounding, and didn't really work. They sounded out of balance, and the mixes didn't serve the music well, didn't flow, etc. - it was like the different "parts" of the mix were competing with each other, instead of working together to get the songs across as a whole. What was more surprising to me was they were done by Tom Moulton. Back in '70's/80's he made/produced tons of really well done mixes for then current artists. He was great. Not sure what he was going for here, or if someone else involved with the show had a hand in these - maybe (like you said) an attempt to modernize the sound, but it didn't work well.

The better ones are pretty nice, but some of them are odd, narrowed stereo - COME DANCE WITH ME!, SWINGIN' SESSION!!!, etc.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Was that for the U.K.? I ask because there was a British Sinatra LP issued in 1978 called THE RARE SINATRA that has a couple of 1958 songs in what sounds to me like mono mixes made from the 3 tracks, with a bunch of bass Eq'd up. Nutty...

22. Steve Hoffman

Agreed, some of that late 1980's Capitol stuff is almost mono. They had this thing about folding in the channels so the stereo is not really stereo but just a confused mess. However, that being said, Larry did maintain the correct music to vocal levels no matter how wacky the stuff turned out. Even when I was over at Capitol working on the Peggy Lee and Nat Cole stuff a few years ago they wanted to fold in the stereo channels so that the music was sort of stuck in between the center and the speakers. I made them put it back to normal but it was a struggle. People have certain mindsets that are just plain weird. (Of course they say the same thing about me...)

CBackley likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

I'm sure that was the reason those were made. Odd that they went to the bother of doing it like that when they had the monos right there. Maybe they did the mono fold in the UK after they got the tapes? Who knows?

24. Steve Hoffman

JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS is very difficult to mix in stereo due to the way it was recorded back in 1957. The three track has totally no limiting or compression on either the two music channels or the vocal channel. At first listen this seems like a good thing but after a few songs it becomes a bit distracting. Without squashing both it's pretty hard to do a good mix. When I was doing the mix at Capitol for the S&P LP their monitors and the nine miles of wiring in the playback room gave us the false impression of less dynamics than were really on the mixes. After I got home I was shocked that the mixes were too dynamic on a system with dynamic drive. Such is life.

The original 1958 stereo mix of JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS has an interesting history as well. They did the mix, cut it to the album master and then tried cutting a record with it but they couldn't. It was too dynamic. So, they redubbed it with heavy limiting and marked that limited version as "stereo master". They had the same problem in 1958 that I had. We solved it this time by bringing in our trusty Teletronix LA2a tube compressor for the vocals. Should be better this time around ("should" being the key word.):)

CBackley likes this.
  25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Ronald, thank you for the info. EMI UK releases are not as well known to all of us over here in the US so it's great to hear more about them.

Sitting on a shelf for 30 years then, gee.

Yup, in general Nat's singles tended to be originals while albums more often (but decidedly not always) would involve more "covers." 'course, whether it was new or not can pretty much be an academic point when you have the sort of results Sinatra or Cole could produce.

fwiw (if anything), I fully support your call on this rather than just assuming the last take was "it" as seems to have been the case for all prior (and all non-original) issues. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.