NAT KING COLE in special Vintage MONO MIXES from Analogue Productions on SACD/CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The mono "YOU'LL NEVER KNOW" hasn't existed for 50 years. The three-track surround and two-track stereo versions will be on the SACD and the stereo will be on the 45 RPM LP version as part of the JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS album...

People (Nat Cole experts) have always assumed that the song was inferior or something because it wasn't issued at the time. The notation on the tape box for "YOU'LL NEVER KNOW" has this handwritten note after it:

Possible single?

As we know, that never happened but it certainly means that they did indeed think the song was acceptable. In fact, it's one of the coolest Billy May/Nat Cole songs of all!

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks Steve. Unfortunate. Guess it's gone or so misplaced / inaccessible now that it might as well be. Nat's version is my favorite version of that song, I think it's great. Nobody else could sing it like that and May's arrangement is beautiful, brash, muscular and dynamic. Interesting about the note - and no, one can't assume unissued / non-single = inferior with Nat. Good tracks at all depths of the catalog. They had more good tracks than they knew what to do with, ain't that a tough situation. :)

Folks who haven't heard that track yet will want to play it when they get these. May find it a welcome surprise. The bonus on these aren't filler, they're solid tracks.

CBackley likes this.
  3. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Yeah! Yes! Yesh!

4. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

The more chatter the better, IMO. At least on the surround/stereo mixes. Please??:angel:

Looking forward to this, Steve.

5. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

Personally, I love it when you include the studio chatter - thank you!

6. Steve Hoffman

No. It is fine the first few times but it becomes very distracting very quickly.

Just a few good gems will be included..

CBackley likes this.
  7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Steve,

Curious which version of "UNFORGETTABLE" you used on THE NKC STORY? The edited master that appeared on the LP or the "live" version that appears on the DCC?

8. Steve Hoffman

The version that Nat did live in the studio. The overdubbed version is sonically inferior and of course was only used in part in the finished edited version in a few spots.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Live in the studio?!?!? So that's got to be the first complete "run though" of the song with all the musicians playing, right?

Wow! That's pretty amazing! It's amazing that it's been found at all!!!

Ummmm, can you guys release it by July 15, 2009? Otherwise I'll be chomping at the bit..... :D

That is just so cool...

10. Steve Hoffman

Gary,

Nat recorded the stereo version of UNFORGETTABLE in 1961 in three-track. He recorded it with the orchestra like always. The last take was approved as "master" and marked. Later (same day, next day?) it was determined that he didn't hold the end of some of his phrases long enough (to match the 1951 version) so they went back and had him sing it over using the backing track of the other take. He probably used headphones. He held his phrases longer but IMO his performance is more mechanical and less spontaneous and heartfelt. The stereo version used on THE NAT "KING" COLE STORY LP used a combination of both of the versions with about 10 edits in the song, slathered in reverb to mask the sonic differences in the performances. The edits all came after the instrumental break. They saved both versions on the master reel, one after the other.

On the DCC Gold CD I chose the live performance. (So did Natalie Cole when she did the duet). Same will hold for the new version on Analogue Productions that Kevin and I are working on.

11. Steve Hoffman

Not even if it's double the licensing and mechanical cost? That's a lot of kale.

12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm sure it is. I meant artistically...

CBackley likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I know, but sometimes the cost of doing something totally right just is too much. I'll settle for what I can get as long as it is presented correctly.

14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Will these have all the original artwork, like other releases Chad has put out - the Jazz 45's, CCR, etc.?

15. Steve Hoffman

I would assume so, yes.

16. Steve Hoffman

Chris and Jordan,

Some good news. The unissued mono "close mic'd" YOU'LL NEVER KNOW (Tk 1-14 with 14 marked "Master Hold" from 1957) has been uncovered. Just in time, yes. Guess what this session was filed under...

That's right, under BILLY MAY. Sigh. Kudos to my contact at EMI for cracking this. Above and beyond the call of duty..

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am sure that Chris and Jordan will be as tickled as I am with the news. The anticipation just gets better and better... :cool:

18. Steve Hoffman

Dale,

Yeah, stuff like this is neat. The magic word "HOLD" written on a tape box is what has saved some neat outtakes from Nat Cole's era through the Beatles and beyond from the trashcan. Why? Because usually what is being held is secondary to what ELSE is on the 1/2 hour reel. Usually wonderful stuff (as in the case of the Beatles) and always a window in to another time..

"All Praise HOLD!"

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

If you get a chance Steve, assure the good person at EMI that "You'll Never Know" just how much many folks will appreciate their remarkable efforts.

Over half-century after recording, the first ever release for the original mono of Nat King Cole's You'll Never Know. You just might be cutting the first record from it, Steve. Fantastic!

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Great news! Hat's off to your contact for some crack detective work.

21. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I...am SO excited about these releases....I am almost even MORE excited about these than 09-09-09, and that is saying a lot!

Nat is one of those rare artists that can change my mood in an instant by hearing his piano work and/or his singing. That voice gets to me everytime.

I haven't been keeping up to date on this thread but do we have a release date yet? I will check the AP site again.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is one my most anticipated re-issues, ever! The news of the mono inclusion makes it that much sweeter.

What a great time to be a music fan!

23. Steve Hoffman

This hold reel should be a nice window into the history of "JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS". We forget how much effort it takes to achieve perfection like this album. They make it sound so easy and effortless.

There are also 14 takes of "The Song Is Ended" and 11 takes of "Just For The Fun Of It" on the reel. I bet take 15 and take 12 were used on the album. Right?

24. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Right you are.

25. Steve Hoffman

I'm learning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.