NAT KING COLE in special Vintage MONO MIXES from Analogue Productions on SACD/CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Me neither. In fact this whole MONO thing just happened.

This is the email I wrote Chad YESTERDAY after he asked me what I thought about adding the monos (I thought the subject was dead because we hadn't discussed it since December of last year):

Chad,

I think we should add the monos of the following albums to the SACD/CD:

Love Is The Thing
    The Very Thought Of You (16 song version of course)
    St. Louis Blues
    Just One Of Those Things

They sound very different from the stereo not only in mixing but sometimes the songs have different sections of different takes.

These mono versions have NEVER been reissued and they never will be unless we do it..

Your thoughts?

Steve

------------------------------------------------

His reply? Classic Chad giving the green light:

He wrote:

Do it.

CBackley likes this.
  2. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I guess it never hurts to ask! I can't wait for these releases.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Make it so, Number One. :winkgrin:

On Love Is the Thing we have string orchestra no brass, on Just One of Those Things we have the other extreme with the brass and no strings and in St. Louis Blues we have both. Yet in all cases the whole deal is there in the mono in wonderful sound. After all at places like Capitol we have an excellent quality signal going right to a full track tape, a method capable of very high resolution. Hopefully folks buying these will also give the mono versions a dedicated listen. It may surprise some folks just how good the monos of the era can be if given a quality mastering.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I was truly blown away the first time I heard Stan Kenton's Roadshow in mono! Pure power! It was the first time that a mono recording gave me the impression of "being there". From the bite of the instruments to the richness of June Chisty's and The Four Freshmen's voices, it's all right there.

Thank you Chad for (soon) allowing us to hear these beautiful recordings! It is refreshing to see that those albums that were so passionately crafted are getting the same care and attention for this new release. These will be something to put in the next deep space probe for our far away neighbours to hear...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This to me is more important than The Beatles' remasters (and I am a big Beatles fan).

CBackley likes this.
  5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Very good news indeed, for us music lovers.

6. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great pic of Nat!

7. Do you make the CD layer from the DSD transfer, or is the CD transfer made with another CD specific A2D converter?

If you use a different converter, are both transfers made simultaneously to save time, or do you go back and do the transfer for each digital format separately?

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Let Chad know that here's someone else who will be pre-ordering these as soon as they become available.

9. wes

wes Senior Member

Hey Steve, is all the mastering for all formats finished?

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve,

A salute to you and Chad on this series. Need to add this one to my PileOCole. Appreciate your dedication to correctness and fine mastering. Many, many thanks from us NKC fans!

11. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

This is high praise -did not think I would ever hear these words here. Is the GRIMM being used for the Blue Note AP SACDs ?

Thanks to both of you for what seems to be a TLC tribute to NKC music:thumbsup:

12. Steve Hoffman

Separate CD converter, split feed.

13. Thank you Steve and Chad for doing these things.
    Any idea when they will be released? All together, one by one - that is the plan?

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I'm thinkin': Box-set! I'll bite. I just scored some stone mint 45's from the 50's just after I read the first thread. I'm really excited about this. These records are magical.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

When the series was first officially announced by you, I was a little disappointed that only LOVE IS THE THING would get the mono version included, and not the other earlier albums aswell. Thanks to all involved for now including the "live" mono versions on these other titles. I usually tend towards vinyl, but I'm more interested in the SACD's of these, given all that's provided on the discs...

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

By including both, one covers it all in one place, as it should be. When something so different exists such as recordings from two unique mic setups of (and approaches to) the same music, I can't imagine in this day not issuing both.

CBackley likes this.
  17. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Just felt a little bolt of Dutch pride there...:)

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

19. Steve Hoffman

Not at all.

We still have to do the AFTER MIDNIGHT 45 RPM Bonus disk with the six outtakes (including a newly uncovered gem) and all the mono DSD and PCM transfers of LOVE IS THE THING/THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU/ST. LOUIS BLUES and JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS LP's.

20. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Any details on this, Steve? You're talking about something other than the alternate of "You're Looking at Me" and the five bonus tracks not included on the original LP?

21. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

22. Steve Hoffman

The alt. of "You're Looking At Me" will not be included. Instead, "Just You, Just Me" (take one) will be on substituted. A delightful first attempt with some fine, uninhibited blowing. There will also be some really funny studio chatter.

23. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

That's excellent. Hope you're able to include some chatter on the other albums as well.

24. Steve Hoffman

A little chatter. Don't like to break the mood but a few gems will be included. There will be new Lee Gillette fans after this..

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Fabulous. :righton:

As you said, this will be the first release of the original mono of There Is No Greater Love and Don't Blame Me from The Very Thought of You. Were you able to find and include the mono of You'll Never Know from Just One of Those Things as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.