NAT KING COLE in special Vintage MONO MIXES from Analogue Productions on SACD/CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

How? In the usual way..

Attached Files:

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Listening to After Midnight SACD now and loving it. Very natural and beautiful sound.

Steve and Kevin and Gus Skinas did a great job on these. Next up is the "where did everyone go?"

3. Steve Hoffman

Lee,

That is about as exact a replication of the original full-track master tape that is possible today. Sounds pretty amazing for 1956, doesn't it? Too bad everything can't sound like that.

4. You won't be disappointed, Lee...:love::edthumbs:

5. Ain't THAT the truth, Steve...loved what you, Kevin and Gus did with this album!!!:love::cheers:

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It really sounds fantastic.

"Where did everyone go?" is on now. Wow.

Thanks for these Steve. :edthumbs:

Simon A likes this.
  7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I asked about that once and they claimed to not know anything and didn't have inserts available there. I wanted to replace my CCR SACD inserts with the newer style that fit the new style Super Jewel cases, but had no luck with that.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

OK, it's a interesting picture ... but please tell me what I'm looking at, and how it works.

9. Steve Hoffman

That's an echo chamber over at the Capitol Tower studios. Call it echo or reverberation, whatever. Means the same thing these days. Like when you sing in the shower and it sounds better. The echo resonance helps. In the case of a chamber, the sound from the studio is fed in to the chamber through the speakers. It bounces off the wall and the microphone picks up the bounced sound. Just the echo. Then the recording engineer feeds it back through the console and mixes it carefully with the dry pure feed to create a slightly reverberated sound. Beatles records, Elvis, jazz, classical, whatever, if it's recorded in a studio since 1952, there is a 99.9999% chance that echo was added just like the above.

There are other variations like slap echo (Sun Records) delay echo (like on early Beatles records, etc.) but it's pretty much the same idea.

Now it's done with a digital simulation (like the 1980's remixes of HELP! and RUBBER SOUL). Ain't the same.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I imagine it's not.

Thanks for the explanation. It's good to know these things.

11. Steve Hoffman

It helps us appreciate the effort that went in to make our favorite recordings.

12. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Not to mention the effort that a good remastering engineer does to make discs like these continue to sound so good. So a tip of the hat to the original engineer's and to the remaster engineers as well.

13. Steve Hoffman

Just to mention it once again, the engineer on Nat Cole "After Midnight" was the late John Kraus, one of the first sessions in the new Capitol Tower Studio in 1956.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

It sounds great!

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Then they certainly christened it right. Sounds great - year not withstanding.

16. Steve Hoffman

They had big startup problems in their new studios. They changed a bunch of acoustic things in the rooms and pretty much dicked with them for a year until they were happy. Some old-timers still complained that the old Melrose studios sounded better..

17. Steve Hoffman

Read the above out loud and slowly. It's a miracle we got anything issued but we did! I can at last look back on it now with nostalgia.

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I remember reading about these NKC discs when they were in the planning stage and thinking "I'll believe it when I see it". I figured it would be VERY difficult to bring an artist of this stature to SACD.
    Feared it could turn out to be one of those "well, we tried our best but no cigar" situations.
    Was overjoyed when they actually came to fruition.
    Chad Kassem is my hero for even attempting this.

We're contemplating a road trip to Virginia in the future. I've already told my wife that journey MUST include a stop in Salina, Kansas

19. Steve Hoffman

Yes, Chad was the mover on this, no doubt. Imagine having to explain to a confused record company why three different mixes of the same song were worthy of inclusion on one album? Imagine him talking them into letting us (outsiders) do NEW mixes of this classic material?) Now imagine trying to talk them out of charging for each song three times! He must have or nothing would have happened. The way he got it done was to collaborate with the Capitol people to make the Nat Cole albums part of ONE project. That changed everything. One giant project. Made it easier for us to do what we wanted to do.

Also remember this. Our "project" took so long, by the time it was ready for release, the people at Capitol who gave the "project" a green light were gone and an entire new bunch of people were in place. They must have scratched their heads over it but they didn't try to stop us. In fact, they helped us out a lot. By the time the SACDs hit the Acoustic Sounds catalog some of those Capitol replacement people were also gone and a third set in place. That's the crazy music business; not much job security.

NorthNY Mark and CBackley like this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm new to NKC and only got these SACDs over the past month. I can easily say that they're my favorite discs in my entire digital collection. The music is beautiful. Steve and Kevin (and Gus?) did a great job with the mastering and SACDs. The liner notes by @jtaylor and others are fascinating reads. And I love having the stereo and mono mixes in the same disc (on most of them). At first I was hesitant about the $35-65 (or so) range for each. But they were worth every penny and more. They'll provide years and years of enjoyment.

I'm still a newbie about audiophile stuff. But I find things like the stereo vs. mono microphone placements endlessly fascinating. And what better way to learn about that than to play discs with wonderfully mastered versions of the stereo and mono right there?

kennyluc1 and jtaylor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.