Name Your Favorite Thelonious Monk Album. Please.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NIKE SQ 460, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Brilliant Corners.

Something very exacting yet relaxed about that album....

2. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

I recommend to friends "Brilliant Corners" and "Monk's Music," and the live in Japan performance on Columbia.

3. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

I love the way Monk supports soloists. He's just unconventional. He doesn't always just drop out, he plays essential chord tones in punctuation of the improvisers IMO. Sparse, yes, but perfect. To each his own though :)

I'm definitely going to check out the Clark Terry album though!

4. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Straight No Chaser, is fantastic! The SACD is really nice

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

+1.

I've never heard the SACD, but I "have love for" the regular CD. "Locomotive" is one of my theme songs.

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I've had this for about a week. Great sound, and I wonder how much better it is than the redbook. Expanded version, similar to what Sony did for Mingus Ah Um.
    No complaints here about what Monk did for his soloists. He gave them some of the best compositions in jazz history to interpret, and was a master of when to play and when not to.
    Ever since the expanded version of Live at the It Club came out it's been my personal favorite.

7. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Criss Cross is my favorite Monk album.
    Runners up include Mulligan Meets Monk, Monk's Music, and Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

8. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

A favorite of mine is The Complete Live at the Jazz Workshop

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

'Thelonious Himself' for its one of a kind beauty.
    Also, 'Brilliant Corners' and 'Monk's Music' are definitely indispensable.

10. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

My favorite "late night" jazz listen is the Complete Columbia Solo Studio Recordings.

Brian

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nah, I dig Monk. Brilliant Corners, Monk's Music, etc. are wonderful but I'm so tired of them, having spent literally months mastering them. The Monk/Terry album is pretty new to me so it's quite fresh when I play it.

I just wish people would remember that Monk played that way because he was literally going insane, not for any musical pioneering reason (at least at the end).

I guess if you liked a painter who did wacky things on canvas and he became acclaimed as the "most daring, interesting painter of the age!", etc. and then you found out that he really had mental problems, would you still think of him the same way? Dunno. Like loyally following your Captain off a cliff because he gave you an order and on the way down found out that he was not in his right mind. Oops.

At any rate, get this MONK/CLARK TERRY CD "IN ORBIT" OJC CD while you can! It's probably the most overlooked Monk album of all time. Even I missed it when I got really into Monk in the 1990's. Nice, mono Reeves Soundcraft sound (think "The Sound Of Sonny", etc. recording style.)

Remember, campers: As soon as the final stock of OJC CDs is gone, that's it. When and if they remaster it, watch out brick walls everywhere!

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1035973/a/In+Orbit.htm

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Do you believe his mental problems were affecting his playing style as early as '57?

13. Steve Hoffman

Oh yes, for sure. I've heard the studio talkbacks from that era.

Does it invalidate the music? No, of course not, but it does make you listen to it from a different perspective, yes?

14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Oh definately. I just don't really hear any perceptible change in his stylings until much later. But those talkbacks must be QUITE interesting, eh?

15. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Agreed, mos def. However, also think 12/24/54, Prestige 7150.

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Take it back, take it back. Take that thing right out of here. :sigh:

17. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

That's my take on him as well -- I like how he drops in sparse, pointillistic accents behind a solo rather than comping, and I think this does support the soloist in the sense of providing different shades to what they're playing; it wouldn't work for everyone, but Monk and his sidemen knew what they were doing. The space and the angles in his music are part of what I find so appealing.

That said, me three on checking out that Clark Terry, and I have no fear of flugelhorn.

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I agree! This especially applies to the classic quartets with Charlie Rouse on sax, who may not have been the all-time-greatest tenor man, but whose style was perfect for Monk's music.

Favorite lp? Monk Plays Ellington is definitely one of them.

19. John DeAngelis

Woah! Monk had emotional problems throughout his career, and they did worsen as he aged. But to say he was "literally going insane...(at least at the end)" is going too far. Van Gogh was a great artist, from start to finish, no matter what HIS emotional state was, and the same applies to Monk.

Did Picasso get into Cubism because HE was insane?

20. louder

louder New Member

I must admit, I'm completely floored by this statement. So Monk had no idea what he was doing at the piano? When he composed music? It was all a mental illness? Please name one record where you think his metal illness is creating the music. Really, I cannot believe that a statement like this is going unchallenged on a music forum.

21. Steve Hoffman

Guys, I'm dicking around with il pleut waiting to read his reaction; he has constantly ragged on so much of my favorite music that I can't resist.

Nonetheless, Monk did have serious "problems" if the outtake session reels are any indication. Not the guy to hang out with, that's for sure. I pity the poor recording engineer who was constantly being yelled and screamed at. Never in all my career have I heard anything like that come from the mouth of a recording artist in the studio. Yikes, painful to listen to.

22. John DeAngelis

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Monk's Music

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Unchallenged? Hardly. See my post above. And with all due respect to our host, I decided to take another listen to Straight No Chaser as I write this. And of course, Monk is providing chordal backing throughout the entirety of Rouse's first solo. I love the way Monk behaves on this record. These snipes at Monk for his improper technique, his eccentric behavior and all the rest just erode the authority of the person making the statement and do absolutely nothing to tarnish the beauty of the music he composed and played. :shake:

25. John DeAngelis

Well, it's your forum, Mister H, so I guess we can fault you for "dicking around", and I'm familiar with Monk's outtakes, too. But the music on the master tapes is glorious, and created in spite of his emotional problems, not because of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.