Nagaoka Cartridge fans?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

So a "hiss", like "white noise"? Of the kind that you hear only when turning up the volume?

Have you other MM cartridges to try? Electrically, an MM cartridge is very different from a MC. So if there is any issue with cables and phono, the MM might put it into evidence, and an MC not...

A suggestion: try moving away or turning off any other electronic devices (including power transformers) that might be near the turntables and cables. Just to rule out EM interferences.

Can you record the noise you hear, and post it here?

JackG likes this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

When you mounted the cartridge, did you use the little plastic white washers underneath the screw heads? I think this is mentioned somewhere in the instructions.
    My MP-500 was humming without them. With the washers in place the hum disappeared completely.

punkmusick and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I’d start here. I’ve used a phono stage which has a noticeably higher noise floor with MM, possibly due to inductance.

4. jordi

jordi Well-Known Member

Thank you all for yr suggestions, here below my comments:
    "So a "hiss", like "white noise"? Of the kind that you hear only when turning up the volume?"
    Yes, exactly. And no, this is the only MM, reason of trying with the MP-500. Have switched off all other equipment near by, but no changes. I will try to share the sound asap.

"When you mounted the cartridge, did you use the little plastic white washers underneath the screw heads?"

The MP-500H comes pre-mounted, washers included. Thought in adding another pair, but for the moment I prefer to wait for CS until I receive any answer. Don't want to touch anything to avoid any problems, just being cautious...

"possibly due to inductance"
    No idea, switched off and unplugged any other device in the room, smartphone included, but no signals...
    Have tried with another pair of interconnects, the ones used are high quality (in theory), have tried with the ones coming with the TT but the same...

Going back to the differences mentioned MC vs MM, to hear some hiss when any MC is plugged in, I have to raise the volume very, very loud... almost up to the maximum, otherwise it keeps absolutely silent. But with the NG the noise is audible immediately.

A BIG thank you to all!

5. jordi

jordi Well-Known Member

trying to upload the audio file, but not sure the forum allows... you know how to do it?

6. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Did you switch your phono pre to MM? If you are using the MC phono pre it’s over amplifying the MM.

7. jordi

jordi Well-Known Member

is the project phono box RS2, no switch but comes with a gain scale, 40 to 50 form MM and 60 to 70 for MC

8. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

What do you have it set for with the MP-500?

9. Luca

Post it on an external platform (such as Google Drive or Dropbox), and then copy the link here!

10. jordi

jordi Well-Known Member

Hi dears! problem solved.

After a lot of testing with the settings, installation, other equipment, electric and ground set-up, last thought has been to try again with the original Technics RCA cable, and the noise is gone! I did try the same this morning but for sure I did something wrong, I was a bit under stress....

Luca, you were right, MM can detect problems where MC don't

Problem is with the "expensive" interconnect, have contacted the local dealer, they are well known for manufacturing high quality audio cables. I'm sure they will come back with a solution, cable purchased SEP'93

Happy with the result and also happy and grateful for all your great coop. Now it's time to enjoy music, hope you all do too. Best wishes to all and thank you again.

11. Luca

Glad you fixed it!

Some "high end" cable makers don't know ****: lot of bling, gold, silver, etc... And then they forget basic stuff such as proper shielding, or connection of the shielding to ground at BOTH ends. And then these issues happen, because the cable starts behaving like an antenna.

We had lots of talk on this with Graham Slee years ago, and he was shocked by how some fancy cable manufacturers can really go wrong even in expensive products.

The standard Technics cable is less fancy... but at least it's made by ENGINEERS who know what they are doing.

And if you want to treat yourself to a really good cable, sturdy and well shielded, get the Graham Slee Lautus or Cusat!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    patient_ot, JackG, jordi and 2 others like this.
  12. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

Just put a 500 stylus on my 150 cart. Sounds really nice! So far I’ve just listened to a few of my best quality records but I’m curious how it will handle some of my less pristine records

Alf_1988, PurplePlanet and matrix-6 like this.
  13. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Let us know if it's a significant improvement, and whether it adds to that 150/200 magic. I'm curious how much has to do with the cart vs the stylus.

PurplePlanet and robusa like this.
  14. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

I would say it feels a more detailed/revealing, without changing anything about the Nag magic. Some nice bass, too.

Feels like I simply just upgraded my 150 a bit, if that makes sense.

Alf_1988, punkmusick, inzite and 2 others like this.
  15. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

it mirrors my own experience using jnp500 on a mp150 body. great value!

PurplePlanet and robusa like this.
  16. PurplePlanet

PurplePlanet Well-Known Member

It’s actually like a double upgrade going from a 150 stylus to a 500 stylus…from an aluminium cantilever to a boron cantilever and an elliptical tip to a finer line-contact tip.

Please let us know how it sounds after bedded in some more…

Out of interest, did you notice a decrease in volume output when changing in the 500 stylus?

robusa likes this.
  17. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

I don’t think so, I seemed to keep my amp around the same volume as I did with my 150

PurplePlanet likes this.
  18. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I see reading back that the Nagaoka's are a good match with Technics tables. I have my Nag 300
    on a Luxman 151 (mk 1), which has a Jelco (250?) version arm. I have an EMT tad 15N waiting in the
    wings on my spare headshell, but the Nag has been so good I haven't bothered. This also may
    have to do with a busy work schedule, but still...the point being this has been a very positive
    first experience with MM's for me.

There are certainly similarities between the Luxman 151, and the Technics. One difference is the former
    being a belt drive. Isn't the 1000 hour mark the expected max life on the Nags. If so, I'm
    ready to buy another 300 stylus.

Triffid and iluzun like this.
  19. Luca

I wouldn't use an MP-300 stylus for more than 300-400 hours without checking under a microscope... It still is an elliptical, even if the cantilever is high quality.

It's the MP-500 stylus that lasts very long from personal experience: 800-1000 hours with clean records and good alignment is quite realistic.

20. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

or, try the 500. I’ve both now, the 300/500. It is almost shaking how different they sound on first listen. They
    both possess enormous clarity, but different perspectives. The 300 is very visceral. Drums, horns, vocals all are
    up close and immediate. I’ve gone thru digital, a/b, and tube amplifiers and for my setup, a really good pentode
    amp really gets to the heart of the matter. A Mystere PA-11 with WE replicas 6CA7’s & 6SN7’s easily displays the
    differences. The 300 brings drum kit, sax, female vocal into the room in a way that is exciting and present. Midrange
    focus? I don’t think it’s ‘colored’ but the depth and body portrayed with the pentode amp is really special, organic,
    pulsating. It’s a musical experience that invites the listener to participate. Good lp’s have PRAT, aplomb, mojo, real instruments,
    and real bodies.
    The 500 seems to play thru a wider aperture, more bandwidth. You sit row 10 or closer with the entire kit displayed in front
    of you. It’s more spread out, coherent, legible as a whole. It does loose a bit of the visceral nature but suggest an organic
    wholeness. A more relaxed invitation, a seduction replaces the bold immediacy, yet the startling clarity remains. Boron
    cantilever? I find them both very detailed and highly musical yet in differing ways. The 500 seems as if the perfect concert seat,
    the 300 draws one’s focus from one sound image to another, it’s a bit more intimate but exclusive. Going back to the 300,
    after the 500, is by no means a letdown, just a different seat in the hall, a different perspective.
    The Nags are really interesting carts and I’m liking em better than my Dynavector. The Dyna, with a Bob’ Sky, has a hugely
    dimensional soundstage, but I’m really digging the immediate and visceral nature of the Nag carts. Fun stuff and my 500 is
    still early hours. Bringing the tube amp into the mix seems to really have played to the Nags strengths. Still playing with things, but
    wow! (-;

21. Mansinthe Mavea

Mansinthe Mavea Forum Resident

How would a Nagaoka do compared to a AT VM740ML ?

just for comparison..
    740ML 268 euro / MP500 - 899 euro Or a AT OC9XML MC would be 449 euro .

what makes the MP500 so expensive?

22. Triffid

Triffid Forum Resident

You can buy the MP500 for about 2/3rd of that cost on EBay from Japanese sellers.

23. Luca

Theoretically, the boron cantilever. So thin, so rigid, so fast in the transients. Anyway, you can get it from Japan for as low as 550 Eur on eBay (plus some import takes if you are not lucky).

Anyway the replacement stylus is more comparable in price: 180 vs 210 Euro between the two. So it's actually a marketing choice, given that the replacement styli (where the costly boron is!) are priced very similar.

24. PurplePlanet

PurplePlanet Well-Known Member

CDJapan has some of the best prices for Nags, with the MP-500 currently at about AU$816 (EUR€495) before taxes and postage (not expensive) - caveat is 2-4 weeks back order Nagaoka Phono Cartridge MP-500 Audio Accessory Collectible

Similar good prices on eBay from Japan sellers as mentioned too.

25. Mansinthe Mavea

Mansinthe Mavea Forum Resident

taxes and duty fees would be around 21% .. and there is something like 30€ for DHL + DHL might want a handling fee at the customs office . (Last time I paid 28€ for their service). So that’s north of 650 for a CD Japan import. Sure still better than 899€ and the replacement stylus would be priced alright :)