My review of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "Damn The Torpedoes" ORG vinyl 2-disk set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

2. electric man

electric man Member

Thanks for the review Steve, I just ordered my copy. This will be my first Tom Petty album so it will be a special treat.

3. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Didn't know there was an audiophile release of Mudcrutch. I bought the vinyl, which had a CD that was supposedly a different mastering. It that what you're referring to?

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes, that's it.

5. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

The CD that came with the Mudcrutch LP is not squashed (compressed) like the commercial issue. Much better sounding IMHO. Looking forward to the 24/96 downloads of DTT, also.

6. Eddie Cullen

Eddie Cullen New Member

Is the vinyl the same mastering as the CD?

7. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

colored vinyl can be noisy - but if done well, it can be quiet. There was a limited edition Steely Dan "Aja" that came out in red vinyl and it is one of the quietest records I have ever heard.

Now white vinyl - that always seems to be noisy!

8. ORG Music

ORG Music New Member

Wow. Great review. Thanks Steve.

Gardo likes this.

9. the UK/German white vinyl THE BEATLES DMM is the exception, or , mine is quite, I should say.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Red sounds fantastic!

11. Wow, I hope you are the real deal and can stick around with comments.

Our bark is worse than our bite here at the Forum.

I see you filled in your equipment profile, a rule follower, I see. Great!!

Welcome

12. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Thanks for the cool review Steve! I immediately took this record and spun it as soon as I got it out of the box. Great record, and I can't wait to listen to it in its entirety with any further interruptions.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Sounds good.

I would like to get a copy but I don't think this label is distributed properly in the EU, it would be an import, which would probably cost over $80, which is a bit hard to justify.

How these are pressed in Germany but can't get a cheap price in the EU is beyond me.

14. ORG Music

ORG Music New Member

Sure am. We will be posting most of our updates on our facebook page but follow this board regularly (generally message boards frown on labels "advertising" ion them and we respect that). We have a great deal of stuff upcoming so stay tuned. We put a lot of sweat and tears into this pressing and are delighted by all of the feedback.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have the original Backstreet pressing, promo copy, generously shipped to me gratis by MCA back when I was in college and reviewing music. As Steve notes, it's pretty good sounding, and I've not really felt the urge to replace it. Given the thumbs up, though, I guess if I see it for a good price I'll consider it!

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Agree. I got my red pressing yesterday (#37) and it's easily among the most silent pressings I've heard. Flawless.

Moot point 'cause they're sold out now. :shh:

dan c

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And don't forget about the Japanese Beatle red vinyl mono titles from '82. Some of the best pressings in my collection.

18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My copy plays CD quiet on my system.

As far as colored vinyl being noisy, I have quite a few colored vinyl titles, I have yet to find any noisy at all. Certainly no more than typical black vinyl.

19. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

My red vinyl is dead quiet and sounds fabulous!

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

They're actually constructed in the USA, at FurnaceMFG. It's not an import for the USA, it's just a non-domestic pressing. The package doesn't exist until it comes together here, so for you it's an import.

Suggest you try Amazon, or one of the other disc retailers with reasonable UK shipping. A UK dealer will have a mark-up.

21. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

I live in the UK and ordered my copy from InandOut records in Austria (www.inandout.at) today. Cost me about £45 incl shipping. Amazon.com would be cheaper at about £32 with Standard International shipping (18-32 business days) or about £40 with Expedited International Shipping (8-16 business days), but coming from the USA could incur import duties. So I went for the duty-free option from Austria. I have bought CDs from them in the past via Amazon Marketplace and have had no problems.

22. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And on sale for one week at $29.98.

23. peter

peter Senior Member

WOW! I bought mine in DECEMBER 1979 before the official CDN. release date. One copy in A&A on Granville and mine's a STERLING SS3/SS3. A USA copy of course.

How on earth did you manage an SS1/SS2?

As I recall, this record did not even show up as a CDN. pressing until Jan. 1980 AFTER TP played the PNE Gardens in Vancouver in Dec. 1979. Could've been the Agrodome, too long ago for me to remember.

24. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Stop draggin' my (credit) card around . . .

Eric

25. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

At least you have one -- mine melted.:D

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.