My review of the Dick's Picks series - Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That's ok! In post #112, Zappa called me "Jeffrey"! We must be getting contact highs. :shh:

2. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

IIRC, the Dark Star is from 2/28/69

3. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Got DP 36 in the mail last night! :righton:

Great package with good photos and Bear's notes are great!

Made for a great morning commute.....Bird Song is amazing! I've never heard that before. Listened to the 16 minute Playin' over lunch.... :eek:

YES!

:wave:

4. Jerry

C'mon, it ain't that great. How many "Playin In The Bands" can you listen too? And those long, spacey jams? BORING!!!!!!

I'll take it off your hands for $15.
    ;)

5. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Looks like you got the box

I bought the 1st few when they came out, and since have selcted a few here and there. Number 4, 3, 11, 15, 24, 33 are my favorite. I thought 18 was good musically but guitar was too distorted, that one and a few others I did'nt keep. I have heard there will be a box set coming from a late 1973 run- purportedly the best sounding 2 track recodings from that era.

6. Jerry

NEWS ALERT!!!!

Notorius cheapskate Deadhead pulls trigger on DP36!

Wife recommended he use his dust covered credit card so the bank sees activity and doesn't cancel the card.....so he does the right thing and and visits the Dead store. Win-win for everyone.

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

I oughta get a commission from GD Store...

8. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

YES!!

Man I gotta say $25 for a beautiful 4 Disc set is the deal of the century! If it were the ZFT that would've been $85!

9. Jerry

Amen brutha! (Thanks Mike!!!!!!!!!! And Zappa for adding the much-needed pressure...)

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Wow! Thanks for all the great details, Mike (which anyone tuning into this thread late can see in the first post)! :wave:

11. MikeP5877

I'll be doing a similar thread in the near future covering their other official live releases.

12. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Holee Sheeeet!!!!!!

Last night I put on some cans and threw on DP36 and really tried to digest it and I realized a few things:

Phil Lesh is a monster and he scares me! His small solo right before the main riff of the bonus cut "The Other One" is intense!

Bill Kruetzman is sick. Damn, I had no idea he could play like he does on Playin In the Band and Truckin'. :eek: Just constantly finding new grooves

Bob Weir can be damn funky when he wants to be and comes up with some great rythyms!

Jerry....well, Jerry's tone stops time!

WOW!

:righton:

13. Jerry

I've really come to appreciate Keith's keyboard work. I was listening to 5.26.72 over the weekend, one of the best shows EVER, and Keith was in another dimension. Brilliant. Listen to his playing during "Truckin>Morning Dew" from Europe '72 if you don't have the complete show. Especially "prelude" to "Morning Dew".

14. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Keith's work on Bird Song on DP36 is nothing short of beautiful! :righton:

15. Jerry

Hopefully I'll get my copy this week. What a great year '72 was! The "Playing In The Band" from London 5.26.72 is mind-blowing. Different tempo than we're used to. Marathon show too.

16. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

I wanted to pick up vol. 19, but I'm noticing two different covers for it online. Is this true? One has clouds with a lightning bolt going through it, and the other has wheat in a field. I'm trying to collect all of the CDs from the GD online store, as opposed to the Rhino issues (figured it would look better on the shelf... don't ask!), so I want to know what the difference is. At first I thought one cover was for gdstore.com and one was for Rhino, but I'm seeing both being used for both!

What gives?

17. MikeP5877

On my DP 19, the front cover is the lightning bolt, the wheatfield is the back. I ordered mine from GD Store back whenever it came out.

18. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

That's so weird! So are the images flipped on subsequent issues of this volume? Here are the two I've seen:

Attached Files:

19. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I'd LOVE to see that! Your DP ratings are now an invaluable guide for future buys!

Thanks!

:righton:

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can someone tell me:

Which Dick's Pick best features the kind of playing that Garcia did on the Terrapin Station studio cut? The kind of guitar that reminds me of Steve Howe of Yes. Very melodic and adventurous, with that non-bluesy tone. Maybe a concert that includes lots of long adventurous stuff from Blues for Allah or that Weather Report Suite, and of course Terrapin itself, unless a concert that predates that compositoon is the best pick.

Thanks!

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Go for it Mike!

22. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Dicks Picks 12 has a great Weather Report & one of the best China>Riders as well.

As far as good Terrapins off the top of my head 9/3/77 (Dicks Picks 15 I belive) has a good one. As does DP 29 (5/19 & 5/21/77).

I like the Terrapin from the Winterland 78' NYE release as well.

Dicks Picks 12 & 29 are essential IMO. As is DP#3.

23. The second picture (just the wheatfield) is the cover of the booklet that comes inside the package. The cover is the lightning bolt.

24. Jerry

Got DP 36 in the mail an hour ago. Praise the Lord, I've been sanctified!

I listened to the 2/14/70 Fillmore East today. What a GREAT Dark Star! It's nice to be a Deadhead....... :whistle:

25. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

This is a great thread :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.