My review of the Dick's Picks series - Grateful Dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Holy crap!

I was just at Borders and listened to some samples of Fillmore West 1969! :eek:

It had huge balls!

I was under the impression that 1969 Dead would be just short of terrible....music-wise and sound wise. That DP 4 really soured me on pre-72 Dead!

:eek:

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

That Fillmore West 1969 run is the pinnacle of that period for me. One of the best run of shows I've ever heard. Too bad the 10 CD box set was so limited. I really hope they let it come back in print for those who missed out the first time.

Too bad you didn't care for DP 4... I really love that set, especially disc 3 from 2/14/70. I just heard another (unreleased) portion of 2/14/70 and it SMOKES. But hey, you can't like everything :D Just don't let it scare you away from other pre-1972 shows. You should check out some 1968 shows too. Oh and get the Fillmore East 2/11/69 show too :thumbsup:

But first, you need to order DP 36.....

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Listen youngster :laugh: , some of us ole' timers consider '69 to be the best year in the history of the band. The energy level was beyond reproach!

Seriously, you should definitely give that year another chance, imo. :thumbsup:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

4. Jeffrey

Hi,

Richmond? The Richmond Police Dept. had almost every single Officer scheduled to work around the Richmond Coliseum in an effort to find trouble! It was quota time and they were out to bust as many people as possible without arresting the locals' children. If you had out of state tags and Dead stickers on your car, then that alone was considered probable cause to search you & your car! They arrested over 140 people the first night! I wonder why The Grateful Dead never played Richmond again? IIRC, the only Dead related show ever played there again was JGB in '93.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

ODShowtime likes this.
  5. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

WOW!

:(

6. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I don't know what it is....maybe its the SQ on 4. Very tinny and raspy, almost bootleg quality. I don't know....it just doesnt grab me like other Dead I've heard...

....BUT

I just ordered DP 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

7. Sweetbac

Sweetbac New Member

GROOVY!....we can all get some sleep tonite!

8. MikeP5877

Cool. I was thinking of adding "Order DP 36" to my sig line but now I don't have to. Hope you like it. :righton:

9. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Hahaha!

If I love it, its all you man! :agree:

If I hate it, its all you man! :mad:

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

If you hate it, sell it to me. I'm only waiting 'cause I wanna save on shipping when the Winterland '73 box comes out. Yeah, I'm cheap. I have to be. I have a habit to support.

11. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

It's a deal Jerry!

Although I plan on really liking it....especially with my current obession with HYH and the fact that its getting reallllllll nice outside lately!

Yup, the back porch, the Dead, and a fresh bottle of lager! Now thats enjoyment!

:righton:

12. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

For real Jerry? It sounds like a very good time to enojy the Dead....especially judging from the samples I heard!

I may have to get that 3 Disc set! Do you know anything about the bonus disc that GD is offering?

13. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Unless it was just a rumour, I understood that the Carolina's had a law on the books that having a Dead sticker on your car was a probable cause for search.

I also remember the Charlotte shows of 1991 having a rumour that the DEA were taking pictures of the entire parking lot scene to try and get a handle on the drug connections.

14. Jeffrey

Hi,

A rampant practice throughout the Mid-Atlantic states. :thumbsdn: North Carolina wasn't half as bad as Virginia was about searching without true/real cause. Virginia used to have roadblocks on I-95 when they knew people were passing through their state to see Dead shows.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

15. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I have to admit, we never had much problem on tour with police...maybe it was the Canadian plates?

I used to like going to Deer Creek in Indiana...somewhere I have the famous t-shirt from one of the interstates that says;

I-69 on the front and "do you" on the back. :D

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Still eagerly awaiting DP 36 but in the meantime would the 3 Disc Fillmore West 1969 be the clear winner over the remastered Live/Dead? Why have less if you can have more?

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Why not both?

18. Jeffrey

:laugh: :agree: :righton:

19. Jeffrey

Hey Jerry,

You've been asked a question. :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

20. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Ooops sorry! I meant "Jeffery"!

21. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Thats your answer to everything!

22. MikeP5877

:righton:

Don't forget 2/11/69 Fillmore East either

23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Well, the remastered "Live/Dead" has some of the best performances from that run of concerts, and none of them are on the 3 disk set (at least not fully). The version of "Dark Star" on "L/D" is one of the Dead's great, classic performances (it was, if I'm remembering correctly, from the second set of the first night of the run--someone correct me if I'm wrong). The "DS" on the 3 disk set is good, but doesn't reach the same heights.

I actually prefer the version of "Lovelight" on the 3 disk set to the one originally released on "L/D," which was one of the tracks not recorded at the Fillmore--again someone correct me if I got that wrong--and I actually think that the remix and remastering on the 3 disk set is superior to the remastering of "Live/Dead" itself, but one should not do without the other cuts from the album, especially that "Dark Star!"

L.

24. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Thanks!

So much for being a casual Dead fan! This will be a fun journey!

:agree:

25. MikeP5877

You are correct - The Live/Dead Dark Star>St. Stephen is from 2/27/69, the first show of the run. The versions of The Eleven>Lovelight were from January 1969 from the Avalon (can't remember the exact date right now)

I don't have the 3 CD Fillmore Set - do you know which night's Dark Star is on there? I really like the one from 3/2. Heck, I like them all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.