My new listening room - see it develop over the next few weeks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Personally Oliver I think Suzy has probably said to you on numerous ocassions that there is no way you can listen to all these cd's so you should let me have some for free.

I still have 2500 in boxes after we did up the house.

2. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Answer is a few posts above, they hold around 1100 CDs but you would have to fly them in from Melbourne/Australia. ;)

3. MilesSmiles

Yup, heared this line a few times but I do have selective hearing. :D

I'm a display freak and don't like to leave them in boxes, however, even in the bigger room I'm running out of space now. I might have to get one of these CD drawers that store large numbers.

4. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Fascinating thread! Lots of drool on my keyboard..............

5. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I have a quick question. Is there a hard drive music server worthy of your system? You could hook up a Drobo or something like it and have plenty of space for all those CDs.

Tim

6. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Check out these then:

www.atochadesign.com

Very well made, definitely up to the spec of your system! I've got one on order for my favorite LP's. She's running a sale right now as well...

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

A Naim HDX with the new DAC and another PS555....

It will fit right in with the current items rather nicely!

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Photo looks good - nice cabinet, nice vintage gear, nice LPs .... and no connecting wires to spoil the look. ;)

9. Beautiful, but $12,500 for an LP rack? :sigh:

10. MilesSmiles

This is exactly what I'm looking for but will try to find a supplier in the UK first.

I've been on the fence for a while, maybe for Xmas? If only my wife would browse this forum.

11. MilesSmiles

While I might add an HDX at some point, I'm really attached to the physical media, but I might start putting regular CDs in a drawer to find more space.

It would be so much easier to ask the boys to share a room upstairs so I can convert the other one into my CD library. :angel:;)

12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Nope, only about $5000 a rack...

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

14. discreplayboss

discreplayboss Forum Resident

WOW. I obviously don't mind spending some cash when the quality is there, it's hard ti justify 5 grand compared to a couple of hundred at Ikea for their Expedit line. I already have one of there large bookshelves and will get another for my LP's in my basement media closet I'm working on. It's not at all flimsy or anything, and is an unbeliveable value.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/search/?query=expedit&sorting=price&pageNumber=0

15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Start a thread in OT! Something about "pick one item that you'd like for Christmas" and go from there! :righton:

16. That sounds more like custom furniture prices. $12,500 was a bit . . much . . .

17. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

The Atocha stuff is custom. Hand built and made to your specs in terms of size, the storage, etc. etc. Very high quality drawer pulls, etc. Crazy money for a record cabinet, but it's like buying an Eames Lounge chair. Depends on what you want...

18. $5000 or so for a piece of custom cabinetry this size is about what I would expect.

I hear you--depending on the finish, an Eames Lounge chair could set you back about that much.

19. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

So much music...so little time!

20. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Cool thread, but....why would anyone in their right mind move from Australia to England?

Joking. :laugh:

21. MilesSmiles

Both very very true. ;)

22. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Really beautiful photos!

23. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I have a movie buff friend who organizes his DVD's by Studio. It looks really cool on the shelf when all the spines match. I'd never thought of doing it with CD's, I can't even seperate by genre without forgetting where something is.

Thanks for the pics, keep'm coming.

24. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

The pictures of people's homes and stereo stuff are arguably my favourite part of this forum. Always gives me inspiration and ideas to change things in my own home. I definitely need to show off some nice vinyl LPs like you do, Milessmiles. Looks very nice! Needless to say your whole set-up is beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

Jerry Garcia, Jr

25. Fore

Fore New Member

I too love seeing other's rooms setups. Inspiration is a good way of putting it. Miles, I wish I was that organized! Really, an awesome system, and one hell of a cd collection.

If you go the route of a music server, definitely check out Sonic Studio's Amarra program that integrates with Itunes. Used with a good dac, and you've got digital music that sounds near identical to vinyl.

Congrats on a great thread and your move!
    Fore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.