My new listening room - see it develop over the next few weeks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

You need some more Pastmasters in your collection, Oliver. :D And is that Crimes of Passion next to your Heart Like a Wheel black triangle? You need In the Heat of the Night to its left. ;)

How much of a geek am I to immediately notice that you stack your black triangles according to their catalog numbers? :eek:

I also notice that you still need Vol. 1 to complete the set of One Night with Blue Note series. :righton:

:wave:

2. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Over time you know your favorites by their catalogue number, sometimes I do struggle so to find a specific title. Hint for all sellers in the forum classifieds, pls list the catalogue number for JPN CDs as well as their title.

I bought the 4 large wooden shelves from a company in Melbourne/Australia, they make them for you on demand. Should have gotten a few more while I had the chance. Each one holds about 1100 CDs.

Thank you. :cheers:

3. MilesSmiles

You spotted most of the gaps :righton:, I'm as well short about a dozen VDJs before I have the whole 1500 and 1600 series together. :laugh:

4. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

What's impressive is you're still at it and its 2:30 am... are you into another bottle of Cab or some nice brown single malt?

5. MilesSmiles

Only shortly after midnight here in London, we have already switched to summer time ... and BTW I'm just about to finish the first bottle of Cab, my wife told me to take it easy. ;)

6. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

Oliver only lives down the road from me, so in my time zone it is 12.30 am. Few hours of music listening left yet tonight:D

You missed an interesting day Oliver.

7. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

Is sky broadcasting the American baseball World Series?

8. MilesSmiles

Shame that I missed two concerts in a row because of my cold but at least I got some work done in my listening room.

9. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

So what other countries participate in the world series?

10. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Canada (but not this year)

11. MilesSmiles

I still don't have Sky connected, remember I moved to England and after 4 weeks I'm still waiting for my landline - my business line took up the last open line in our road and now somebody has to come and dig up the road before we get our private line :help:, it's easier to order Sky once this is done.

The timing couldn't be worse, I'm missing the World Series, NFL and College Football. The good news is that coverage is a lot better here in the UK than it was in Australia.

At least this gives me more time to focus on my new listening room.

12. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

Thanks - small world then.

13. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

I see in your avatar that you from Miami. I'm going to the Jet/Miami game tomorrow:) I hope we can even the score since being embarrassed on national tv.

Surrey is south of London correct? I was down in Walton Heath a few years ago.

14. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

South West
    [​IMG]

15. MilesSmiles

Well you know who I will be routing for, still trying to calm my nerves after the late 'Canes comeback today.

Yup, I'm just south of London. In fact, I'm so close to London that when I leave my house and drive a few blocks North I'm getting right into the London congestion zone, in other words pay GBP 8 for a trip to the next shopping center up the road. :realmad:

[​IMG]

16. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

5/3 certainly sounds MUCH better then 4/4 with a jam in the division...
    I wonder if the CZ fee could ever happen in NYC?

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Noticed your avatar for ages but this is the first time I've seen the original photograph.
    Beautiful :love: :wave:

Ken

18. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Down in London on the 3rd, 4th Dec as Monica is getting her gong from the Queen or a royal at Buckingham Palace on the 4th. My Mother-in Law is flying over from HK for the event

I will be wearing a kilt made from a specially designed tartan to celebrate the Chinese relationship with the Scottish people.

[​IMG]

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

System singing yet?

Have you moved Suzy, Miles and Dylan out into the garden shed so you can pack in more cd's?

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fascinating.

20. MilesSmiles

Thank you, I have my SET now for a little over 10 years and it is the oldest piece of equipment I currently run, there might be better amps out there but it would take a lot for me to retire this one.

Ewen,

excellent news, give Monica my congrats - might be a good chance for us to finally meet up. Not being a tartan expert you will have to explain the Chinese desing link a little more to me.

The system is really starting to sound good now but more fine-tuning to come.

I'm a really good negotiator when it comes to securing the best room in our house for my listening room, but when I told my wife I needed a second room for my CDs I was out of luck. :D

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Oliver this is the spiel about the tartan. Madame Guo was a very good friend of Monica's. However she moved on and upwards in Diplomatic circles.

Chinese Scottish

The Chinese Scottish tartan was originally created to signify the special relationship that exists between Scotland and China and between the Scots and the Chinese community in Scotland. The inspiration for this tartan came from Madam Guo Guifang, Chinese Consul General, who once spoke of the unique Scottish tartan as one of the major tourist attractions for the Chinese and suggested the idea of creating a specific tartan for the Chinese people. Designed by Heather Yellowley of the Strathmore Woollen Company of Forfar and facilitated by Angus Council and the Scottish Tartans Authority, the tartan incorporates the colours of the Scottish Saltire together with the red and yellow of the Chinese flag. These are interwoven with green bands to symbolise the great co-operation between Scottish and Chinese botanists in the Botanic Gardens of Edinburgh - home to the world's largest collection of Chinese plants outside China itself. The yellow crosses the red in five places which signifies the five stars of the Chinese Flag, the biggest and brightest being represented by the yellow cross in the middle of the red. The tartan was presented to Madam Guo on 6th April 2006 as part of the Tartan Day Celebrations which took place in the Scottish county of Angus.

My own clan has 4 different tartans

By the way Microsoft have one as well. How about American Express?

22. MilesSmiles

Amazing. I can see it now.

Well, with the Blue Box and the white crossing it, you have already covered Amex as well. ;)

23. MilesSmiles

... more CDs unboxed: MoFi's, DCCs and AFs in their happy new home. :)

[​IMG]

24. discreplayboss

discreplayboss Forum Resident

Wow, I thought I had a lot!

25. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I like the rack. How many dose it hold and where can I find one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.