My initial review of the Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD/CD changer.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Jose, I guess if the '777ES is a 100%, I'd rate the 'C555ES a 90% overall. The 'C2000ES would be an 80% and the 'CE595 would be a 70%. This is not very scientific. For one thing, I have not compared the 'CE595 and 'C2000ES directly to the '777ES. The 'C2000ES replaced the 'CE595 in my lesser system. The '777ES is in my better system. I have a 'C555ES in each system, so I've compared the 'CE595 and 'C2000ES to the 'C555ES in the lesser system and the other 'C555ES in the better system to the '777ES.

In any event, I gave overall ratings above, meaning one rating encompassing CD and SACD performance. I've found all of these players to be great with SACDs, but there is a great disparity with CD playback.

2. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

Gracias Keith :righton:

Jose.

3. KeithH

No problem, Jose. I have to admit that with Sony's SACD players, I've generally found that you get what you pay for. The 'CE595 at $150 is not junk. On the contrary, it's an exceptional value. However, as you move up the price ladder, the sound quality with CDs and SACDs improves.

4. ChuckM

ChuckM New Member

Sony SCD-C333ES issues

I have a Sony SCD-C333ES and am having the same problems with it that TMan is having, it won't read discs. I got the extended warranty for it when I bought it and have had it in for repair a couple of times.

The first time, the fix lasted for months, the last time it worked for a few hours. I wonder if this is a frequent issue with this player, can it be fixed, what is the problem. I really like the sound of this player and don't want to step down if I can help it.

5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Thanks for the info!

I am looking at the possibility of getting a second SACD player and the 2000 looks very nice to me. Especially if can be moddded!

6. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

TimB...

The SCD-C2000ES can be have as low as $249 + shipping and usually is around $299 + shipping.

I read somewhere ( don't remember the Forum) that SACDMods don't considered it worth of modifying. On the other hand, I have a friend who's main work is modifying systems, and based on a few pictures, told me it was an interesting unit to modify. He is not planning to do it on a regular basis though ( it is more a favor to me). But, since the location of the PCB are free to work ( at a corner with enough space) he considered some basic mods.

This unit could take some Cap changes for better filtration ( Bigger Black Gates) , a few caps for the analog stages, an IEC connector, damping to the chassis, some isolation to the transformers ( they has good spacing too), new rectifiers and maybe, new DAC chips. They are said to use BB-1751.

If you are handy with modifications, you can do most of the changes, at least the caps and damping.

I'm still toying with which unit to buy. The CE595 is almost identical to the C2000ES at a $150 difference. With that money you could modified the CE595 and have a better machine...Sony units responds well to modifications.

In any event, we would be interested to know your decition on which one you decided to buy.

Good luck,

Jose.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

Keith. Awesome review. I recommended the 2000ES to my sister in law, sight and ear unseen. Glad I did now! (She bought it.)

Thank you.

8. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

i WOULD THINK IT WOULD DEPEND ON THE WARRANTY

If one wants to modify it, I would go with the 595, if warranty is an issue (and I have heard of a lot of problems with various SACD players!), then the 2000. As a straight ahead player, the 2000 with 2 transformers, a bit better feet and chassis and also a coax out put, would be very nice. I have a SCD CE775 already, and I would consider modding it and keeping the 2000 stock (or OADE Bros modded) for the warranty.

9. KeithH

Thanks. Glad it helped you. I hope she likes the player!

10. KeithH

Jose, I wonder why SACDMods doesn't consider it worth modifying. Is it because they don't feel it's easy to work with? Your subsequent comments seem to contradict that. Does SACDMods feel that it makes more sense to modify the 'CE595 since it is similar to the 'C2000ES and a good bit cheaper?

11. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

Keith, from what I read, they talked something about "to much integrated" or something like that. Don't know what they mean about that....

My friend e-mailed me this...

"Hi Jose, I typically shy away from changers as well as Sony's lower end units, but seeing the insides of this one is interesting. Sony has obviously taken some significant shortcuts in the design in order to keep the price down, but the unit is so simple inside as to be a decent candidate for mods. Typically the PCB's are buried beneath the changer mechansim and it becomes difficult to work on. This one is different.

I would say that you really can't go wrong for the price. It would be interesting to see how it would sound with an improved PS and some inexpensive revisions to the analog stage."

He talked about the SCD-C2000ES but in view that the CE-595 has almost identical PCB, I imagine it can also applied to the CE-595.

Maybe the key word is "simplicity of design" , so with minor changes should improve.

About warranties. Having the CE-595 modified you can expect a better return after mods, even if it last a year or so. With the SCD-C2000ES , we are talking 5 years voided and more money on the stock unit. How much improvement would I get with similar mods???? Hard to tell....

Jose.

12. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

13. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Just want to verify that the C2000ES does NOT have random/shuffle play (as someone somewhere said).

Why would they not put shuffle on a changer?? It comes on $40 portable CD players! This would make me think twice about the unit.

14. KeithH

The 'C2000ES has shuffle play. You can run it on one disc or all discs loaded in the carousel. It functions just like any other carousel changer. In fact, that's the main reason I bought it. My wife likes to do all-disc shuffle play for hours, and I didn't like putting the wear and tear on my more expensive SCD-C333ES and 'C555ES changers.

15. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Thanks. I see that you mentioned that your wife used shuffle on it - I somehow missed/forgot that. :sigh:

I think I may have asked this earlier, but do know if the C2000ES is any faster than the C333ES at reading discs?

16. KeithH

No problem.

I haven't timed the two changers, but I can tell you that the 'C2000ES is pretty slow in reading discs.

17. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

Could this be due to the "time aligment system" ?

Jose

18. KeithH

Jose, it's slow to read CDs. Time alignment shouldn't come into play with CDs, should it?

19. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

In that case, should be slow reading both formats.

Is it a "pulling hairs situation" or a " my beard got white waiting situation" !!! ;)

Jose.

20. KeithH

Which is worse? ;) It's more of the beard situation. It doesn't annoy me, but every once in awhile I look at the changer and think, "Geez, it's still not done?". :) Reminds of Judge Smails from Caddyshack. "Well? We're waiting!" :)

21. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

Today I received my new Sony SCD-C2000ES from Oade Bros. I paid $345 including FEDEX and insurance.

Jim Oade did a great job packaging the unit double boxed and it arrives in 3 days.

Right away, this unit don't look inexpensive or flimsy. It isn't a tank but compared to my previous Nad C540 and other DVDs , construction looks good. It weights over 13 lbs , the remote could be better but this seems to be the norm these days.

I'm breaking it right now with a few CD's and will with SACDs too. As soon as I can open it I will take a few pictures and will also provide a list of the caps and additional parts.

Jose.

22. KeithH

Jose, great! Let us know how you like it! I'm still quite happy with my 'C2000ES. I've been using it quite a bit more than the Sony SCD-C555ES and 'C333ES in the same system simply because the 'C2000ES is the new toy and because I want to further evalute its performace. So far, so good!

23. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Keith,

I wanted to thank you for all the information on the X2000ES. My CD Player crapped out and I took a gamble and bought tth X2000ES for $250 from Express Audio, but the receipts are from Sound City in New Jersey. The total with shipping to CA was $275. Although it took about a month to get to me, they indicated it was backordered, the player came double boxed with some sturdy packing material. The player is great, Ibut really wish it was a single disc unit. I immediately noticed a big difference in bass response, my Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Hybrids sound great. I'm still a big Vinyl lover, but this SACD player is pretty cool. I really wish there were more Discs to check out.

24. Jose Garcia

Jose Garcia New Member

Congratulations. You got a good price but they really take long to deliver.

I received mine yesterday from Oade Bros. After about 30 hours on continious play, the unit has improved with break-in. For the money , it is a no brainer at this price point.

Jose.

25. KeithH

No problem! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 'C2000ES. Sony did a really nice job with it for $400 retail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.