"My god, everything sounds so much better analog."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bord

bord Member

Pixel Revolt remains my favorite, but if you preferred Cellar Door I would think Emerald City might be more up your alley. I love them all, but the beauty of Pixel Revolt wins me over. Emerald City is much more immediate, more rock-oriented and urgent sounding, but again Vanderslice comes up with the most confoundedly addictive sounds ever put to tape. I could listen to the album again and again just to hear the sound of that acoustic distortion.

Emerald City seems more topical lyrically whereas Cellar Door tells more stories. So again, it'll be whatever you prefer.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024) Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Just got a loaner of Emerald City from a friend yesterday so will be checking it out soon. DJ, love those Daytrotter guys. They get a bunch of cool bands through their studio. Treasure trove of recordings there. Think I posted the link before for the Shearwater session (btw, speaking of Shearwater, the RTI/Matador vinyl of Palo Santo is very nice sounding, much better than the loud CD mastering if you like that band too. New one out soon.)

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

The first song to really hit me from this one is 'Continuation.' Gets better with each play.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I thought it was time to revive this thread to the top as the John Vanderslice record Pixel Revolt is such a masterpiece.

:wave:

you all need this one...

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

'Peacocks in the Video Rain' = :righton:

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Local Needle Exchange Program...

Never heard of the guy, but after reading this thread, I'm sold and shall dutifully seek out the vinyl... :agree:

Question raised by Chris' post... Is recording 'vinyl to tape' better sounding than recording 'vinyl to cd-rs?' I've been doing that later, but I have a tape deck in my car and maybe should be doing the former... :confused:

Above all, I need a new needle... This place helped me to totally wear my out this year... :angel:

cheers,

7. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

I bought this maybe two years ago during a Barsuk freakout. Didn't stick with me. I expected to like it.

8. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Back in 07...

Care to translate this? :confused:

cheers,

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

mr. Bill , the Pixel Revolt is so up your street my friend. I'll be stunned if it doesnt warm your cockles...

10. John

John Senior Member

11. Davey

Just listening to Vanderslice's Dagger Beach from a couple years ago, kinda missed it at the time, but sounds very nice right now. Arrived here via the remaster/reissue of his debut Mass Suicide Occult Figurines earlier this year, which also includes a 7" with a great cover of one of my favorite songs ever, "Long Dark Blues", the Jason Molina demo which later became "Farewell Transmission", and the opener on the incredible Songs:Ohia Magnolia Electric Co record. It's my 2015 Jason Molina fix, gone ... but not forever.

https://youtu.be/kxWMFReurm0

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! I feel the same way about digital... SO glad to be rid of vinyl anomalies...digital was a godzsend...

13. Davey

It's really a John Vanderslice thread, but whatever.

14. Michael

sorry, that just came out...I apologize.

15. Davey

That's OK, this is a thread from back in the day (2008) before they were quite so militant about thread titles around here. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

16. Michael

gotcha...

17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I have a few albums I think sound better on vinyl than a well-mastered CD, but unfortunately I can't take the LP with me in the car.

18. Davey

Vanderslice is talking about analog recording, he has a studio, this isn't really about vinyl ... sorry, the original link from 2008 is dead now ... http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/john-vanderslice/

19. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Oh ok. Yeah idk I've heard tape gives a different sound than recording to PCM or DSD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.