My Encounter w/Dhani Harrison About George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cdice, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

What I actually said was "I'm not saying any of that IS the case..." but it COULD be, and you lose sight of that.

Show me where I said I was either of those things. This is another example of you blowing something out of proportion. You do it all the time.

Jeff, we want the SAME THINGS. I get excited too, but I try to express it with something more than "baby wants his bottle" impatience.

You don't "endorse" anything -- you grab it and choke the life out of it. I've been reading your posts for two years; I respect the fact that you're a Beatles nut and you're passionate. I've watched many other people take potshots at you, make sarcastic remarks, and dismiss you. I haven't done that here. I disagree with you, and I'm trying to express it in a thoughtful and civilized way. Your response is to call me an "apologist" and dismiss my "malarkey." That's OK, I expected nothing less; I've seen you respond in kind to all previous criticism. But it tells me all I need to know about our personalities, at least as far as we express them on a "blog."

Again, show me where I said I understood his feelings. I speculated on a possible ALTERNATIVE interpretation to a five-minute encounter with a fan. It's in considering alternatives that we can have a well-rounded perception on ANY situation; maybe YOU just want the things YOU think are okay.

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

+2 :righton:

3. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

:righton: Great post, Sean!

Not so great reply... Did you actually bother to try to understand what Sean was saying before starting another of your high-octane posts?

4. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

The EMI situation is no big surprise, as the company's been in shambles for several years. The Stones finally saw the light and left. Realistically, the way things were going, EMI probably would have managed to lose money by releasing a Harrison box set. All along, the only thing they really care about is the Beatles catalog, and with that in the works, you can forget about any George Harrison projects in the near future.:shake:

5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Generally there is a reason a song or recording sits in the vaults. If it wasn't good enough to release then, why is it good now that George has passed? I don't get this "we have to have everything released" mentality. If it was good, they would have released it already.

Anyway, like David said, EMI is focused on Beatles remasters right now. There is no way they will worry about a box set for George this year.

6. Sean Murdock

I actually don't agree with this; there are plenty of reasons why good material is unreleased at the present time. Until a couple of years ago, the Wilburys outtakes "Like A Ship" and "Maxine" -- both gems -- were unreleased for 15+ years. There were plenty of great tracks on the Lennon box, and that didn't come out until 18 years after his death. Bootlegs have given us just a taste of what George may have produced in his home studio between 1980 and 2000. The family just hasn't gotten to it yet; they have clearly chosen to deal with upgrading the EXISTING catalog before adding more to it. I'm fine with that; sure I would love to have it NOW, but it's just not going to happen. I share jcjc's desire for this stuff, I just got frustrated with his APPROACH to expressing that desire.

TOTALLY agree with THAT. The way Apple coordinates Beatles and solo projects, 2009 (and maybe 2010) is all Fab; perhaps we'll see new CDs from Paul and Ringo next year, and maybe even George's remaining Apple remasters. I wouldn't be surprised if Olivia has a large portion of 2011 blocked off for the Scorcese documentary and a major George archival release. 2012 could well bring the Beatles releases that jcjc wants -- remixes, 5.1 and bonus tracks. But none of this stuff happens FAST -- that's just a fact and we should all be used to it by now.

7. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

This thread makes me realize and appreciate why some celebs are not comfortable meeting fans. Dhani was there to promote his own music, only to be pressed to answer questions that he didn't really care to answer. The original poster seems proud to have made Dhani uncomfortable by asking questions about George's music. It must make some people feel good about themselves to make another feel uncomfortable. I don't understand all of the support that the original poster has gotten in this thread for purposely ambushing Dhani.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I agree...there has been some real uncomfortable Beatle fanboy-ness going on in this thread that is not, as they say in Britain, on.

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Couldn't agree more. A number of the posts in this thread are downright frightening. I said it before and I'll say it again: they owe us nothing.

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This is how Dhani probably felt too. I bet he is sick of being asked about his father. While I for one would love to hear any unreleased stuff by George that is in the vaults, I won't lose any sleep if I don't.

Evan

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Not the CDice needs my support, but I don't think he went too far in asking Dhani a question about his father's archival recordings. He did GO to the show, bought a CD had it signed, then asked the question. Dhani could have said something like "Please respect me and my family, I won't be answering any questions regarding my dad or his music at this time." He chose to respond, whether pushed some or not, and that was it. Sometimes asking questions can be quite tricky and I see nothing wrong with what he asked. It's always better to ask a direct source, isn't it? Ron

12. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Evan, why would Dhani be sick of answering questions about his dad or his legacy? He chose to step into the spotlight by working on Brainwashed, the Concert For George and all the subsequent archival releases since his passing. Unlike McCartney's son, who remains in the background and never answers questions, Dhani (and Olivia) is THE voice of George now and has been since 2001. He has every right to have his own career and life, but to claim he must be sick of answering questions about his beloved dad seems a stretch. Ron

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was stating that based on his response to the OP's questions. He seemed a little brusque; maybe I misinterpreted that.

Evan

14. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

The original poster stated that he pissed Dhani off, and figured that as long as he was agitated, he figured that it was alright to push him further with his questions that were totally unrelated to Dhani's music. I just don't think that this is right and not fair to Dhani. This is just my opinion and I'm sure that many others will disagree.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

15. Sean Murdock

That was my interpretation too; he seemed a little taken aback, and he certainly seems to have his dad's knack for a quick retort. On the other hand, he did answer the questions; my curiosity centers on where his apparent frustration/anger was coming from when he talked about the "son of a bitches at EMI." It could have purely been aimed at EMI, and stored up for years -- but that seems a little odd considering that Apple and EMI have apparently worked out their differences enough to allow the remasters and the video game to proceed. EMI is also releasing George's best-of in a couple of months, so Dhani's vehemence took me by surprise.

I suppose his sharp response could have been a defensive reaction to being pressed about his dad's archive at one of HIS shows. It's easy to blame "the Man" and it's a natural instinct for musicians, so perhaps instead of getting into a long conversation that had nothing to do with thenewno2, he just deflected it with an abrupt "Hey, don't ask me, ask EMI why all these great things aren't released. Not my fault." I just don't see the logic of it; after all, EMI has been closely involved in almost all of George's posthumous releases, so how bad could they have been? Of course, what we know publicly about the relationship is probably only about 10% of the whole story.

16. Stateless

Stateless New Member

+1

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Good job!

18. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Maybe he was referring to this juggler:

Attached Files:

19. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Baby Wants his bottle

Huh. Sean as you know, you have no record company experience. No sound engineering experience. No songwriting experience. No recording experience. No performance experience. No music experience whatsoever.
    And yet you make cracks like that about me because you can.

You post a lot and make effective blindside attacks like"baby wants his bottle" but really you are completely unqualified to talk about recording techniques, record company policies, songwriting or anything related to it.
    you have spoken with no one in the beatles circle or the Harrisons or Wings or EMI and yet you feel qualified enough to make remarks like that ?

Huh maybe you should get a record deal.

Not putting a Harrison boxset out a few years ago probably cost the Harrisons
    and the record company millions. It helps sell the rest of the catalogue, it does a lot of things.

Sean in all candor you post a lot, and blindside a lot, but you really don't know anything about the subject at hand.

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I know, isn't it just crazy that I trust his opinions more than anybody else on this whole board. Sean's just on of those guys that I would take his conjecture over, say, your "facts", any day of the week!:D

Sean Murdock likes this.
  21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Wow this is getting a bit personal don'tcha think?

22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

You got off easy Sean. At least he didn't insult your girlfriend :D

Sean Murdock likes this.
  23. jcjc

jcjc New Member

I believe

I believe it got personal when the person made the Baby's bottle crack
    I can't help but notice you didin't say anything about that . Only when I replied you suddenly thought it was personal.

Look just because you don't play, sing, write, engineer or otherwise engage in any sort of professional music activity is no reason not to be an expert with four thousand posts from Seans point of view:righton:

He seems to know a great deal for someone with no actual experience of any kind:wave:

In any case Dhani Harrison said the public would hear the archive box someday. So that is good news indeed I suppose.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The day is young, grasshopper. :winkgrin:

Evan

25. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I'll take Sean's knowledge and eloquence over the spittle-flecked ravings of someone who happens to have set foot in a recording studio.

Sean Murdock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.