My Encounter w/Dhani Harrison About George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cdice, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

2. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Oh

I doubt any of the tracks are in Columbus.

I guess I could defend myself and empower you as the accuser

its enough that you are from Columbus.

Your'e right maybe George Harrison only has three or four unreleased tracks
    and they were gonna run them by you first for approval.

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

+1

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Hey, cool idea. How about Dhani opens up the vault and creates and hosts a radio show called "The Lost Harrisongs."

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I've really liked what I have heard, but does he have an actual album? If so what is is called and where can I get it? Inquiring minds want to know!

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Sheer speculation and a stretch on your part.

EMI hasn't had adequate leadership for the last 4-5 years and lost money hand over fist last year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/guy-hands-sad-sad-song-at-emi-2009-3

Read a little here about how they handled Radiohead's departure as well as that of several other key bands, and also how they dispatched with most of the A&R department as well.

A rudderless ship is incapable of taking anything but a dive...

7. Jan

Jan New Member

I doubt if Dhani knows what he is talking about when he paints EMI as the baddies who won't let out a Harrison box of "rarities." Why would EMI have any say in material that wasn't recorded by them or recorded while he was under contract with them? Who made them the boss?

It may be as Ron speculated, that Dhani wanted EMI to pay for studio time to get something ready, and EMI didn't want to. Or it may be as was speculated, it's all about the renegotiating of contracts = money.

Let's just remember, it's not about the music. Harrison's music could be made available for free if that were all that was involved.

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

OK Chief. I bought the CD a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to admit that I haven't given it my full attention. In fact, I have noticed that I start listening to it with a good feeling, but about three quarters of the way through..I get the itch to take it out and play something else. :laugh: After a few songs the lightweight vocal style gets a little bland to me or..something.
    Apparently there is a sameness to much of the material that I haven't latched on to specific songs to key in on yet.This may be my fault more than his though. I need to listen to it more , and thanks to you, I'm listening to it again right now.

I THINK that some of the tracks are interesting and possibly quite good.
    Like you, I wonder if I would give this music much of a chance if it wasn't Dhani, and if he didn't sound vocally reminiscent of his dad.

9. Jan

Jan New Member

The part where Dhani says "How to Know God, page 130" in the "Brainwashed" song is great, really the most imaginative bit of the whole album. (Or is that Isabela Borzymowska?)

And the "God God God" line, repeated, is also exceptionally well done.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It is captain obvious to the rescue. Just remember, it isn't about the love. I'd be in Scarlett Johansson's bed right now if that were all that was involved.

Adamski777 likes this.
  11. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Oh My

Because he is George Harrisons son, he will get a shot at a second album, probably more if he wants to.

This first album of Dhani Harrison isin't Horrible, I can't listen to it nor do I want to. Its not terrible but its mediocre. This is all subjective of course. There must be a few people on the planet who think its king! I have one friend who told me he thought the beatles were overrated and Wings was ten times better. That didin't make sense to me although I liked Wings. Can I be honest I can't stand Dhani Harrisons album, I got through it twice out of guilt and loyalty. I don't listen to any of the BEatle kids records except Zak Starkey because he plays drums in the WHO.

Now back to George, so some people on the thread here don't think George has all that much in the archives, I think thats daft. What do we have to do to get it ? Boycott ? Letter campaign ?

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

With the new set coming in June, and the Scorsese documentary in the works, I'm sure we'll get it eventually. We've gotten a lot of great quality George remasters these past few years.. So the campaign continues.

13. Jan

Jan New Member

The speech of flowers / Excels the powers of speech

14. Jan

Jan New Member

What exactly do you have in mind to boycott?

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

You know Jan, you don't have to be this way. Have you ever tried being, I don't know, maybe a little less toolish?

16. Jan

Jan New Member

Funny you should say that: Scarlett told me just about the same thing the other night.

17. Jan

Jan New Member

jcjc,

You're pretty tough on Dhani. I'd cut the young man more slack than that. If you don't like his work, just ignore it. Crikey, think what kind of burden he's got with the inevitable comparisons.

18. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Has Olivia handed over all future decisions on George's catalogue to Dhani? I doubt it.

19. jcjc

jcjc New Member

probably right

Young Harrisons music is okay. If he was just some guy in a new band
    maybe by the second or third album he could develop a following, if
    he continues to improve. There seems to be some talent.

But in the same conversation with any of the beatles he is way out of
    his class by about a million miles..

I'm more interested in learning whats in George's archives and what could
    be done to get it to the public.

20. jcjc

jcjc New Member

I wonder

I wonder what the source of the dispute is. Between the Harrisons and the
    box set and the record company.

Harrison only said that EMI wouldn't put it out but he did not say why.

21. If only there was some sort of way to look things up on the Internet. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    thenewno2 -- You Are Here

I think the album is mostly pretty darn good, and a real breath of fresh air in my book. :thumbsup:

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I really doubt there is a completely compiled and mixed George Harrison box set waiting to go, except maybe in jcjc's dreams. Dhani probably meant "We were ready to start working on it five years ago" or "We were talking to them about doing it five years ago." I would bet he has a good idea what's in George's archives but hasn't actually gone through the whole collection.

And considering some of the mediocre stuff George released, I would question how much first or even second rate material there is from the 70s and 80s that he never put out.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:eek:

24. jcjc

jcjc New Member

WOW

Oh well you must know best just forget the whole thing. Your'e probably
    right Harrison never had his dads boxset he didin't say it was ready for
    five years, he just called EMI those sons of bitches for kicks. probably
    there's no quality Harrison material just a couple crappy tracks and when
    Dhani Harrison said you have no idea whats in the archives he was just kidding, or deluding himself with some mutual hallucination he and I share.
    It's really just a joke and there's nothing to it cause you said so.

Glad we got that straightened out for a moment I thought there was
    lots of great unreleased stuff in the Harrison archives. Thank goodness
    you brought me to my senses. I'll save so much time now that I don't have
    to read this thread.

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Very George, that; quick and pointed.

I would've responded "Dhani, I don't know how much demand there actually is for copies of Indus Valley Five-Year Irrigation Plan or Projected Punjab Electricity Demand, 1965-1970" (two of my dad's greatest hits.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.