Music sightseeing in New York

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

if that's the same place my brother's taken me to numerous times (and you'd think i'd know the exact location by now, but no), then i have to second this statement!!!!......real, real good authentic Italian for reasonable prices... mmm mmm good....

my contibution to this thread would be the building where the cover of Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" was shot....it's in the Village, near St. Mark's Place....

so Mindgames, how did your trip go, or are you still here?.... fill us in!!! :goodie:

2. pencilchewer

*bump, cuz you're on right now*

3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

First of all, thanks to all of you for the usefull information! Also thanks to user 'gswan' all the specific Beatles information. :cheers: :righton:

I had a fantastic time in New York City. We went to so many (of course also non-musical) places. Sad to see the Record Plant and Hit Factory are now almost unrecognizable. Almost hard to imagine how much history is written at those places! But it was cool to stand in front of the door. Same for The Dakota.

We did the Hip Hop History Tour with the one and only legendary Grandmaster Caz, which was very cool. We saw "The Birthplace of Hip Hop" and a lot more of historical places, like The Apollo.

The highlight of the trip was Saturday: Paul McCartney. We saw him leaving the stage entrance door of the Radio City Music Hall at 3 pm, then went to the Radio City Music Hall "backstage tour" and saw the soundcheck of Donovan. And of course in the evening.....Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr on one stage, singing "With A Little Help From My Friends". Here's my recording of that song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwkZPBO3o8o&fmt=18 But be quick, the David Lynch Foundation is taking down my videos...

Again: Thanks for all your advice and information. :righton: I'm sure I'm going back next vacation!

4. pencilchewer

!!!!!!wwwwwwwww O wwwwwwwww!!!!!!

that was so cool to watch, my god, it sent chills throughout my body!!! i can only imagine how it felt for you to be watching and listening to that as it happened!!! .... i read that Jennifer Aniston was also in the audience watching that, did you see her, too? *LOL*

awesome...... man, i will never forget what it was like to see Sir Paul the two times that i was lucky enough to go.....this is just double that feeling, in my estimate......i am so happy for you!!!

i'm glad you found NYC to be a good experience.... i try to be hospitable to anyone with a foreign accent, every chance i get :laugh: .... New York can be a pretty scary, strange place, even for those of us who are used to it... so i'm glad everything went well for you!

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I live at 211 W 56th and never knew that- thanks. Patsy's has a second floor dining room, is that where the studio was, or was it above that?

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Amazing video! Thank you so much for sharing.:edthumbs:

7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haha! No, I didn't saw Jennifer Aniston. But I did saw Yoko Ono, Olivia Harrison, Howard Stern, Mike Love, Jerry Seinfield, Giles Martin, Barbara Bach, the whole McCartney band, McCartney's girlfriend Nancy, and Ringo and Paul again, after the show outside the stage entrance door.

It was an unforgettable evening. :love:

NYC was a VERY good experience. I was warned about beforehand, but the people I met were very friendly.

And by the way, the David Lynch Foundation now has taken down all my other videos of the evening. Wait...ALL the videos of Ringo and Paul on YouTube. :cry:

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

You can punch the address in Google maps and choose "street view" to see the buildings today. Same with some of the other NYC addresses mentioned in this thread.

Also, for anyone intending to visit that spot in NYC, St. Marks Place is a three block stretch of 10th Street, not just the single block with all the records stores, head shops, and retail stores.

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

You've gone beyond my expertise here. I have a friend who's an even bigger music geek than me and he pointed out Patsy's once when we went to an Indian restaurant further west on that block. The studio might have been the current upstairs dining room, but I'm not sure.

An Internet search may sort out the mystery.

10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

A three block stretch of 8th Street, not 10th.

11. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Try and seek out the Tom Dowd documentary, they show vintage stills and footage of the building and the studio.

12. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

I believe the Atlantic studio was on the top floor of the building. If I recall correctly 230 West 56 Street.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

[​IMG]

The TOP floor would be the third floor then.

I've seen 234 and 236 W. 56th listed as the address of Patsy's on the Internet, but I can't make out the address in the attached photo. I think that's the same restaurant that's been there since back in the day.

14. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Yes, Patsy's has been there at least 50 some years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.