Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A mono 78 with a response around 500k-2khz and a surface that sounds like someone's frying chicken over his head wouldn't keep me from listening.

That would not bother me one bit. A 78 like you describe at least wouldn't be drenched in reverberation..

2. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

It's got a healthy amount of reverb, but it is gorgeous 'verb!

This is a great, poetic, understated album. The vocals and bass sound as good as it gets. Guitars are a little bit thin, but overall it's a darn fine record.

Would love to hear the original take, that Steve mentioned though. Maybe one day.

3. Man, I also would love to hear that original, but we can only have what we have and feel blessed for it...
    One thing for sure, he had a 'killer' blues voice!
    Waters and Wolf are my two favorites of that blues 'era' for vocalization ... :)

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The two-fer.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Looks like the Classic HDAD is back in stock at Acoustic Sounds.

6. dufman

dufman Forum Resident

I've had a pre-order with themusic.com since last April, and now this disc pops up at Acoustic Sounds? I always thought The Music was the sister company of Classic Records, I figured they would be the first to get it back in stock.

7. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

:wave: Thanks Jamie, placed my order and am looking forward to comparing it to the SACD. Don't know if this means that the HDAD is back in print but don't want to risk it and the folks at Acoustic Sounds are good people. So they get my money.

8. csovka

csovka Forum Resident

The HDAD version of this is spooky good. It's hard to believe these recordings are more than 45 years old. Anyone compared this to the SACD version?

9. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

I've had the MFSL CD for about a year or so and didn't think this album could sound any better than that, but I picked up the Classic Records 200 gram LP a few days ago and I think it just might better it!

The only way I can describe it is that the Classic Records LP sounds even more organic and open to me than the MFSL CD. I think it's out of print now though, which is a shame if that's the case.

10. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Pardon the sales pitch, but I have an extra copy of the MFSL CD of Folksinger on sale in classifieds if anyone is interested!

11. Could you provide a link or folder location to the classifieds please? I have looked a few times and wondered if it was an older feature that had been eliminated. I must be blind.

Thx
    Kenreau

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The best CD version is the MFSL. Perhaps the best sounding MoFi disc of them all!

Evan

13. TooLoudASolitude

Nope you're not blind-you just need to have 50 posts or more in order to access it.

14. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

The MFSL LP is the first thing I play whenever I change anything on my LP12.

I can give it no higher praise.

15. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

The Classic Records 180 g pressing.

Quiet and with 3-D sonics and presence.
    With a good clean on a VPI, the vinyl is dead quiet.

It's preferable to the MoFi. The MoFi, while very good, is missing something when you also have the Classic. The originals have a great feel, but.... I still like the Classic pressing.

16. TooLoudASolitude

The Classic Records 200 gram copy I just bought was lightly used but also needed a cleaning. Now there are just a few light ticks here and there. Before cleaning I was hit with some pretty serious crackle which totally bummed me out as I thought it was in the vinyl itself. After a cleaning I put it back on and was thrilled to hear the surface noise was gone. Otherwise, as you say 'Quiet and with 3-D sonics and presence' is an accurate description.

17. João

João Active Member

Actually, I think it sounds a bit thin, but I'm sure that's a problem of the recording itself. Very airy recording/mastering otherwise.

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Of course I meant 200g pressing...
    I picked it up new, in the shrink wrap.
    Cleaning was 3 stage; Enzyme -> super cleaner -> 3X distilled water rinse. Different pads for each stage.
    Surface noise is practically non-existent. With these pressings it's more likely to be tape hiss.
    If I played it loud enough to hear signifcant surface noise, the neighbours would come knocking...

On the DSD stones remasters, after a good clean, the tape hiss is louder than the surface noise...

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like his electric stuff (Hard Again) better. I met him after a show in '78 and got his autograph.

20. It is one of my favorite MFSLs, stunning recording.

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

wow

22. Thanks man. :righton: This is post 38 and counting.

23. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I have the original CD issue, the MFSL, and the SACD. To my ears, the MFSL is best. It's got a spaciousness to it that transcends the typical soundstage created by my headphones. It's a bit eerie, actually.

Brian

24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I compared my DJ copy original to my Classic pressing. I prefer my original, with its big, open mono sound. But in fairness to the Classic, my NM original fetches about 10x as much money as the Classic.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.