Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

The Classic HDAD is a two sided disc with 24/192 DVD-Audio on one side and 24/96 DVD on the other side. You need a DVD-Audio machine to get full benefit of the high resolution possibility but 24/ 96 played in a DVD player ainĀ“t no slouch either. This record does not play on a CD player. (For CD I use my very nice MFSL version)

The HDAD comes with two bonus tracks like the MFSL (same songs) but the SACD has five bonus tracks.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I love the LP, both the performance and the recording, the dynamic range can actually scare you.

I have an original UK Pye R & B mono issue, the MFSL, the Classic, the Charly European issue with the cat No. HDR 1001 and the normal European Universal Chess CD issue.

I was disappointed with the original UK mono, though this could be because it isn't a perfect copy, rather than the mix, I was disappointed with the Classic, my copy is noisy and not a great pressing:(, I like the MFSL best, but for much less money I also like the Charly vinyl version and the normal CD is fine as well.

Personally I think the normal European Charly vinyl issue is a bargain, I actually had half a box at one stage, but seem to have sold or given them all away except my own copy, I'm sure it can be found for minimal money, unlike the MFSL.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

That or it was poorly worded. Regardless, I'd be surprised if a mono mix would change such an impression that much.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My favorite as well. I saw Muddy live around this time, (John Lee Hooker opened
    for him.) It was a small club in Berkeley, and after the show my sister ran after
    him and got his autograph. She had it framed with a nice photo of him, and gave it
    to me 20 years later, for my 40th birthday! :agree:

5. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

MFSL CD for me

6. I love that one too ... Johnny seemed to ignite a spark and some great passionate playing to be heard on "Hard Again" '77 and "I'm Ready" '78. :thumbsup:
    Good one... nothin' like this forum to suss out fact from fabrication! :righton:
    Quick query ... is there a definitive on what year Keith and Mick met?
    Wiki has 1961 with Richards and 1960 with Jagger ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Richards
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jagger

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

FYI, there are a couple mono mixes on the 3-disc Muddy Waters box set from 1989("My Home Is In the Delta" and "Good Morning Little School Girl"). Considerably less echo than the stereo mix, especially on Muddy's voice.

8. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

9. Another Side

10. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone compared the vinyl reissues to the original Chess LP?

Attached Files:

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For vinyl, the Classic lp is fantastic.

12. Another Side

Is that a mono LP? I thought the original LP label looked like this:

[​IMG]

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm comparing the SH two-fer (summed to mono) to The Chess Box now. Other than the box being a *lot* brighter, I don't hear any difference in echo. Nor would I expect to from that era of Chess. Sum to mono to hear for yourself.

FYI, that looks like a mono copy...

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Too bad you guys can't hear the actual tape. The version that was released on LP, CD, etc. is so drenched in reverb that it ruins the experience. I doubt the "dry" version will ever get released. I tried to do it for the LP I cut but the brass said MORE COWBELL (echo) so it was a no-go.

15. Another Side

I hear a lot of echo on the instruments, but I do hear a lighter touch on Muddy's vocal. Also his vocal seems to be more processed on the mono.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...I *like* that Chess reverb.

Like I said, listen to the stereo mix in mono. I'm not hearing any more echo on the stereo.

17. Another Side

I'll take your word for it, but I still think it sounds more cohesive and energetic on the mono clip from Amazon.

18. Another Side

Are you saying that the master does not have the reverb, or are you referring to the multi work tape?

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I will say that listening in mono masks the echo a bit, but I just don't think there's anything *unique* about the mono mix.

As an aside, I'm listening to disc 3 of The Chess Box as I type this, and the mastering seems *very* funky. Some things are very bright, and most tracks just have a somewhat uneasy sound to them.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm saying the original tape has a nice room ambiance and the redub (marked "master") was drenched in chamber echo during the dubbing process. The thing is supposed to be intimate and the original work tape sounds that way. The released end result has the same intimacy as the sound of musicians that play in the London underground.

This is one Chess album that I can't listen to.

21. Another Side

I'm listening to the current CD in mono, and I think you're right. There is no difference in echo between the two that I can detect. But Muddy's vocal is much more processed in the mono clip. The stereo sounds much more dynamic.

22. Some great info and pictures ... :thumbsup:
    FWIW here's a label shot of an Italian repress I have from Green Line Records licensed by Sugar Hill ...

Attached Files:

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

FWIW, I have Steve's version, and it too sounds great. And yes, I don't have a problem with the echo. This is one of those times that I think you just have to listen to the music and forget about the mastering, etc. It's a great album.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

By the way, Steve's version of Muddy's "At Newport" is stellar. In other words, it rocks.

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Well sure I'd like to hear it without the 'verb. But honestly, I have to reserve "can't listen to" for smahed, hard as nails electronic-y rubbish. Muddy Waters? A mono 78 with a response around 500k-2khz and a surface that sounds like someone's frying chicken over his head wouldn't keep me from listening. A richly dynamic stereo record that has enough 'verb for a giant cave? Fine. Maybe I'd feel a little differently if I had heard the work tape and if I had expected that it would have an intimate acoustic environment and if I had an option. But that not being so, and having no choice, I'm grateful to have this record. C'mon folks, surely we have so very many records so much worse to complain about this puppy.

Don't mean to argue Steve. Just frustrated I guess. I'm having to listen to some really nice music in painfully tinny, harsh sound right now, and I can only wish it sounded half as good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.