Most UNDER rated Neil Young record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Never heard Trans, I think I was put off by the cover. Seemed too slick.
    I like Neils "old stuff". American Stars & Bars is my favorite album of his.

2. dude

dude Senior Member

Landing on Water

3. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

Very true ... but when they played them live I think they came to life. Some of my favourite Neil Young bootlegs are from the 1982 Trans Band tours - also captured on the 'In Berlin' video/DVD.

4. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

Another vote for Stars and Bars, I love the stuff with Ronstadt. I played that record to death when it came out. But the great one that seems to be completely under the radar is Broken Arrow.

5. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Living with War

6. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

mirror ball

7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Trans for me.

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

The Stills-Young Band - Long May You Run

10. butch

butch Senior Member

That Old Ways/Landing on Water period where he was vacillating 'tween heavy guitar Don Henley on crack(Landing) and doing an album that made Comes a Time sound like a rock album in comparison(Old Ways).Even though Ol Neil got slack for Old Ways,there are some gems on it.On Landing,he basically rips apart his old mate, the Cros, on Hippie Dream in a very brutal fashion.Two underrated jewels that are usually left at the bottom of the closet........Broken Arrow was another one that went under the radar,but that was a good one too.

11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

"I'm the Ocean" ranks in the top 10 of all Neil songs. Amazing.

I'm with you, many of the albums mentioned here (Comes a Time, Ragged Glory) are not underrated -- critically praised at time of release and got some airplay, at least in my markets at the time.

Re-ac-tor is truly a gem. "Shots" is such a great song.

12. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I'll go with Broken Arrow. I picked this one up recently and it's awesome. Everything I love about electric Neil. Great production as well (with nice-sounding HDCD playback) - captures the Crazy Horse vibe much better than Ragged Glory. Also, I dig the cover art. This one did not get much love at all on the album-by-album thread if I recall correctly.

13. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Reiterating several others' votes, but mine in order would be:

Time Fades Away
    On The Beach
    Trans
    Re*Ac*Tor
    Sleeps With Angels

I like Arc, but wouldn't designate it as underrated so much as unjustly vilified. It's a musique concrete work that seems to get judged by a lot of NY fans on the basis of its failings as a melodic, song-oriented album like all of his other works, which is obviously not its intent. I think it's eminently listenable (if you play it at a lower volume it also functions as ambient music, much like the similarly-maligned Metal Machine Music) and is a pretty ballsy experiment coming from a classic rock artist.

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

No one underrates Time Fades Away and On The Beach, not anymore. All of Neil's seventies albums are highly rated at this point.

15. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

A strange and beautiful masterpiece!:righton:

16. Prairie Wind. It almost makes me forget the lack of musicality on things like Weld or the genuinely awful Tonght's the Night.

17. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

On The Beach for me... but then I think it is fairly highly regarded...:righton:

Time Fades Aawy is by far his best live album, and as it is not on Cd, offically, I think it a crime and very under rated... better than Live Rust even!

of his later stuff, I'd say Sleeps With Angels, perhaps his last classic album...

I much prefer him when he delves into the dark stuff... than the light fluff...
    \
    :cheers:

18. johnny 99

Very good album in the vein of Harvest, Comes A Time and Harvest Moon. It sits nicely beside those albums.

(No Wonder is one of my favourite songs of Neil's!)

19. johnny 99

If you're in the mood for it, "Greendale" is a great listen. It's got a cool, "jammy" vibe to it (and I love the fact that Neil's the only guitarist on it!)

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Mirrorball would be my choice also. Just the rawness of that album does it for me. (i.e Neil right before 'Downtown'...."I think I f'd up, let me just play the groove a minute") and then proceeds to rip off a great version.

Also Throw Your Hatred Down is one mean jam, real underrated song to me.

21. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

If you're a fan of Greendale and have a turntable, you owe it to yourself to get the vinyl boxset. The music just breathes so much better on six vinyl platters. Great sonics, and great packaging from Classic. There are still 140 g. and 200 g. copies out there, but I predict that this set will eventually go for big bucks when they eventually dry up.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm right there with you on this one.

"on the beach" is strong from top to bottom.

"ttime fades away' would be my number 2. it should be on CD.

23. deem

deem Forum Resident

:wtf:

I consider Tonight's the Night among Neil's very best. Ah well, different strokes for different folks...

24. 905

905 Senior Member

I have to say Greendale as far as underrated... some have trashed the album, which is sad. Second choice is Mirrorball.

25. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Four pages in and I don't think I've seen this one, so it must be underrated:
    Year Of The Horse.

No, it doesn't have the relentless power of Weld, or Fillmore East, but this is a great Crazy Horse live album from start to finish, with some of the band's most beautiful moments, particulary "Slip Away" which blows away the version on Broken Arrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.