Most UNDER rated Neil Young record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

One of my favorites.

2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I just got Zuma last week (from yourmusic) and heard it for the first time, I'm not a big Neil Young fan, but side 2 is pretty good, the rockin' songs like Cortez and Drive Back, although the CSNY track toatlly sucks...I really don't get his whole appeal, he's OK, IMO..most of it is downer Cali stoner country and kinda dull compared to the Dead...he once helped me sneak into one of his shows, one of the best I ever saw, with his mother in attendance: International Harvesters tour, Gainesville, FL....I like his music ok, but his ouvre is kinda dull all told....

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Well said. Great songs and a very unique production. Timeless stuff. I do think Last Trip To Tulsa knocks it down a peg though. I'm really looking forward to hearing any other material that was recorded during the first album sessions. I really love the guitar sound on this album.

4. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The first album is a good choice, but a really underrated one which I love is Mirror Ball.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Agreed. I've never understood the criticism of "This Note's For You." The songs and performances are amazing. The CD has always sounded too shiny and a bit cold...the complete opposite of what these songs deserve. Hopefully, a future reissue will set that straight.

6. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

My vote goes to "Comes a Time" ... a truly great album even if I'm sure sure that it's underrated. Other ones are "Old Ways" which has great moments, "Trans" which is different than any other album Young has recorded.

7. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I never really stopped to rank the albums but if I had to pick, I guess I think "Zuma" is probably the best. I mean come on..."Barstool Blues?"

Hence my surprise that it would be considered underrated. I'd give a half a dozen of his albums five stars so it's a close call but it's a masterpiece.

8. Not underrated, but you all here w/ DVD-A capability owe it to yourself to hear the properly mastered stereo version of 'Harvest'. It is bar none the best sounding digital disc in my collection (of more than 4000 cd's, dvd-a, sacd, etc.).

As for underrated Neil, my vote goes to the 24-minute 'Everybody's Rockin' '

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Zuma is one great record. It does seem to have been a bit shunted aside but it's one of Neil's best IMO.

I'll weight in for Reactor. I love that record! I could never understand why this one has been dissed so much. OK. The song T-Bone gets a bit ...ummm...repetitive but other than that. Very underrated record!

10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I agree.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This one has the great Southern Pacific on it. One of my favorite all time Neil songs!

12. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member

It's hard to see how any of Neil's classic 70s albums could be "under-rated'-I mean how can Zuma or Comes A Time be under-rated? Anyway, my vote goes to Silver & Gold, a nice little acoustic gem in the Neil catalog-and the last cut "Without Rings" is probably the darkest song he's recorded since the 70s.

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree, Zuma and Comes a Time are bonafide classics.

Underated would be:

Old Ways
    Freedom

14. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

REACTOR!!!! I friggin' love this album!

15. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Trans is under-rated.

As much heat that album takes, it's really a great rock&roll album, mostly because the sampled stuff doesn't feel digital at all. The guitar crunching sound on that album is amazing!

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Neil Young, original mix. Underrated by Neil himself. Just crying out for a special edition CD with both mixes and the alternate Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere B-side.

17. If a compilation can't be conisdered, my vote goes for "Prairie Wind" 96kHz/24-Bit DVD-V. If a compilation is acceptable as most under rated, then the Greatest Hits 96kHz/24-Bit DVD-V gets my vote. I have a large collection of Neil Young recordings and nothing is played as often as that simple single disc compilation, the sound quality and song collection is really nice.

Chris

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Mirrorball (w/ Pearl Jam)

I love this album!

19. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Ragged Glory was very highly praised when it came out in 1990 (following the amazing return-to-form "Freedom")

What a roll Neil got on from 1989 onward...!

20. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I agree. Neil Young is really good. It's status as a "false start" to Neil's solo career has kind of made it a little secret. In my view, he took what he was doing toward the end of Buffalo Springfield and realized his potential within that type of music. He never made another album like it again, which further isolates it from the pack.

Aside from Neil Young, I think Hawks And Doves is underrated. Landing On Water is an argument starter. I like it, but I don't think it's what anyone expects from Neil. Hawks And Doves, while short, has A LOT of what people like from Neil. It has two songs from Homegrown ("Little Wing" and "The Old Homestead"), one song from his August 76 solo acoustic sessions ("Captain Kennedy") and one from the Comes A Time sessions ("Lost In Space"). The new material is generally slight, but not too different than his country material in the seventies. Plus, his electric guitar work is exceptionally good.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

SLEEPS WITH ANGELS from 1994, with Crazy Horse. One of my favorite Neil Young albums over the past 20 years.

22. Razzle123

Razzle123 Forum Resident

Another vote for Trans .... there are some great songs on there.

23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Stars and Bars

24. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Me too

25. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

That may be, but they are buried underneath layers of layers of layers...

No idea why people like Mirror Ball. It is 10 minutes shorter than Sleeps With Angels and still it feels long and tiresome, whereas SWA does not. The songwriting is really bad (except for Ocean) and it has this overwrought big production that really makes it unpleasant. Neil Young never sounded older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.