Morrissey reissuing 'Bona Drag' with 6 unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slicing Eyeballs, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

That's more like it. Thanks.

BTW, I have heard some buzz around the net that this release has not been brickwalled.

2. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Listening to it on Spotify. Piccadilly Palare gets its unnecessary extra verse back.

3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Hey George, where did you read it's not brickwalled? Thanks :)

4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Thanks to Vini Reilly.One of the best guitarists around today.Astounding.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Really?!?! So is it the version with the "no dad, I won't be home tomorrow" ending lyric or is it some version in between the two?

6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Forum Resident

Sadly, it's some version inbetween ... the quote you mentioned has disappeared, and the intro is the short one from the normal version.

7. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I wonder if all these "bonus tracks" (from Bona Drag, and the other recently re-issued CDs) will one day be put onto a single CD? I'm tempted to wait for that. You know it will eventually happen.

8. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

It won't. Maybe.

9. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

How incredibly odd. This now makes me very curious as to the development of the arrangement of this song. It would seem to me that it's something like this:

Version 1: original and longest version, with extra verse and "no dad" ending lyric
    Version 2: edited mix of version 1, shorter intro and minus the "no dad" lyric
    Version 3: the final edit that becomes the track we all know and love from "Bona Drag"

10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Which version was on the original single release? Is it the same as the Bona Drag version? I've never thought to compare the two!

11. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

It's been aeons since I pulled out my vinyl single but I'm certain it's the "Bona Drag" version. I was rather obsessed with this song (even had the five foot promo fly poster) and don't remember hearing anything different until I got the full-length unreleased version with extra lyrics.

12. Colin Allstations

Isn't the version that's been floating around the 'net for years with the extra verse a different take altogether, at a slightly different tempo?

I assumed the version that got released way back when was edited down to remove this verse, which has since been reinstated. It certainly doesn't sound bad, but it not terribly important for it to be there. They definitely cut the right bit out.

'Oh Phoney' differs from the old leaked version in that the drums have been removed!

13. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

You know, I never A/Bed the two. I'll have to do that tonight and see.

There's no drums in "Oh Phoney" now?! This just gets weirder and weirder.

14. Colin Allstations

Just a tambourine. Remember the song was never officially released, so this is the first official mix, which happens to be somewhat extreme compared to what we're used to. On second listen I think it makes this slight song a bit more interesting. It works out being about 20 seconds shorter as well.

15. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

It's a shame this re-issue doesn't have the full original b-side version of Will Never Marry on it. It's one of my favourite Moz songs.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

17. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Yeah, the more we talk about this the more I'm wishing it was truly "definitive". "Will Never Marry", one of my all-time faves, is simply far too short. The full-length version with that nice outro is the one.

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

:righton: It features Vini Reilly (Durutti Column) on guitar.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I haven't read through the entire thread, but are we to assume the vinyl reissues will be digitally sourced? (eg. Viva Hate)

20. frank010

That's so you go and buy the 3 CD EMI singles compilation. Sucks, I know.

21. frank010

I prefer the old version. It's available in very good quality on the recently released Revelations bootleg. "Who can make Hitler seem like a bus conductor?"

22. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Oh, I've had all of the songs for a long time. I just want them on CD. The box set masters sound good to me. :shrug:

23. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Agreed.

I'm disappointed with this track listing in general, just from the looks of it. I hope this is not a harbinger of what's to come with the other expanded reissues.

24. frank010

Why are you disappointed? Did you expect a full reconstruction of the aborted Langer-Winstanley produced Viva Hate follow-up? I have to admit that the extra tracks are a bit odd. Let The Right One Slip In comes from the Your Arsenal sessions. Why not put November The Second on there instead? I know it's on the Everyday is like Sunday single reissue, but still ...

Did you notice the bizarre edit on Suedehead (no guitar fade-in, just straight to the drums)? This was a mistake in the mastering, apparently. I do think the album sounds great though. Moz does pay very strict attention to the sound quality.

Born to Hang and Striptease with a Difference will be among the extra tracks included on the Kill Uncle reissue.

25. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

And nobody is talking about possible differences in sound for Bona Drag. Not talking about the extras, which issue is to prefer? Do I have to look for the oldest issue (Amazon, here I come) or for the remaster(shop, here I come)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.